Posted 12 November 2021

eBay photo ID request to sell items

Hi

Is it just me or is every eBay seller being asked for a photo ID?

I signed up to their managed payments scheme. I then sold some items in which the buyers paid. However, eBay won't release the funds until I provide a photo ID (driving licence or passport).

I don't wish for eBay to have any photo ID of me. I've uploaded the paper-copy part of my driving licence and a utility bill but eBay are not accepting it.

I'm not happy that they allow me to sell items and THEN request this photo ID. if I had known this in advanced then I would've listed any items.

Does anyone know if I will received my finds of I don't provide a photo ID?

eBay customer service keep providing me with the same text, clearly a precreated text, which is not moving this on for me.

Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Blurryface12/11/2021 08:25

You can sign-up to gambling websites... Load money on and play before you …You can sign-up to gambling websites... Load money on and play before you are properly checked for id before payout. Just upload your id then close your account and ask them to get rid of all data they hold on you if it bothers you that much. Or just stop using eBay and say bye to what money is left in the account.Simple.

Legally they don’t have to get rid of any copies of ID they obtain in response to Right to be forgotten requests as there are contractual and legal obligations that require the information to be retained for a period of time
    bastings12/11/2021 09:29

I tried submitting driving license with photo, id number redacted (used …I tried submitting driving license with photo, id number redacted (used photo editing software). They wouldn't accept this. I raised it with them but they weren't interested. I tried removing my bank details but you can't unless you submit another set of bank details. Only alternative is to close the account. Not keen on providing full id to an indian call centre given their reputation. So requested a closure of the account which was in good standing for over 10 years. Overkill maybe but their loss.

Respect for balanced consideration & subsequent appropriate decision.
    Redact DL number and DOB and see if they accept it?
    They already know where you live and may know your DOB can't remember been that long since I signed up.
    They will need to comply with money laundering regulations.
    You can sign-up to gambling websites... Load money on and play before you are properly checked for id before payout. Just upload your id then close your account and ask them to get rid of all data they hold on you if it bothers you that much. Or just stop using eBay and say bye to what money is left in the account.

Simple.
    Blurryface12/11/2021 08:25

You can sign-up to gambling websites... Load money on and play before you …You can sign-up to gambling websites... Load money on and play before you are properly checked for id before payout. Just upload your id then close your account and ask them to get rid of all data they hold on you if it bothers you that much. Or just stop using eBay and say bye to what money is left in the account.Simple.

Your data has already gone by this point! It’s worth too much!
    jonnny112/11/2021 07:32

Redact DL number and DOB and see if they accept it?They already know where …Redact DL number and DOB and see if they accept it?They already know where you live and may know your DOB can't remember been that long since I signed up.They will need to comply with money laundering regulations.

I tried submitting driving license with photo, id number redacted (used photo editing software). They wouldn't accept this. I raised it with them but they weren't interested. I tried removing my bank details but you can't unless you submit another set of bank details. Only alternative is to close the account. Not keen on providing full id to an indian call centre given their reputation. So requested a closure of the account which was in good standing for over 10 years. Overkill maybe but their loss.
    bastings12/11/2021 09:29

I tried submitting driving license with photo, id number redacted (used …I tried submitting driving license with photo, id number redacted (used photo editing software). They wouldn't accept this. I raised it with them but they weren't interested. I tried removing my bank details but you can't unless you submit another set of bank details. Only alternative is to close the account. Not keen on providing full id to an indian call centre given their reputation. So requested a closure of the account which was in good standing for over 10 years. Overkill maybe but their loss.

Pretty sure they won't even notice you gone.
    Lordoflight12/11/2021 09:32

Pretty sure they won't even notice you gone.

I don't expect them to give a flying duck
    My Doctors wanted photo ID for a blood test.
    They got told where to go.
    KencoOutMyNostrils12/11/2021 13:48

I've just listed something on eBay for the first timeIs there any way …I've just listed something on eBay for the first timeIs there any way around this?

apparently - 'effective from 1 June, the new "managed payments" system is compulsory, and ebay has the power to limit or remove listings from sellers who refuse to use it.'
    AndyRoyd12/11/2021 17:38

Get a grip. The branch of ebay that initiated its "Managed Payments" is …Get a grip. The branch of ebay that initiated its "Managed Payments" is not regulated in UK and the PayPal that you and I know has a lame passport to operate in UK and is attempting to gain UK-based regulation.Bet PayPal's passport isn't acceptable photo ID...

Get a grip? Bit rude! Was only asking the question as I’ve had to provide passport/DL to paypal before they would release payment
    john453612/11/2021 14:44

apparently - 'effective from 1 June, the new "managed payments" system is …apparently - 'effective from 1 June, the new "managed payments" system is compulsory, and ebay has the power to limit or remove listings from sellers who refuse to use it.'

Wow
    Had no clue, what a pain
    Photoshop exists.
    The Ebay forums have lots of people asking about the same thing. Apparently they will accept non-photo documents (including a bank statement, council tax or utility bill) IF you happen to get through to the right person in customer service.

Changing the subject completely, I wonder how much a fake driving licence costs these days...
    I had this before the managed payments system - something about European Banking (anti) money laundering regulations They accepted non photo ID, old style driving license & birth certificate, after I talked to their customer services dept. (edited)
    To clarify, everyone who moves to managed payments has to fulfill this requirement?
    HappyShopper12/11/2021 12:22

To clarify, everyone who moves to managed payments has to fulfill this …To clarify, everyone who moves to managed payments has to fulfill this requirement?

...To set up and use your account for Managed Payments, you must...
    ...Provide us with all information which we may require for purposes that include: verifying your identity, complying with applicable anti-money laundering and sanctions screening obligations, allowing us to manage settlements of your transaction proceeds, and assessing fraud and risk. If you are an individual, this information may include, without limitation, your full name, address, phone number, date of birth, taxpayer identification number, bank account information, and a form of government-issued identification (e.g., a copy of your identity card or driver’s license).
    I've just listed something on eBay for the first time
    Is there any way around this?
    HappyShopper12/11/2021 12:22

To clarify, everyone who moves to managed payments has to fulfill this …To clarify, everyone who moves to managed payments has to fulfill this requirement?

Someone suggested elsewhere that it might not be a requirement unless you reach a certain threshold, as with PayPal.
    i wont be that surprised if soon financial companies would require your DNA to do business with them
    I thought paypal requested photo ID to receive money anyway? They're a financial services company so it's to protect against money laundering and the same would be for eBay as they're handling funds
    sm969012/11/2021 14:48

I thought paypal requested photo ID to receive money anyway? They're a …I thought paypal requested photo ID to receive money anyway? They're a financial services company so it's to protect against money laundering and the same would be for eBay as they're handling funds

.... The branch of ebay that initiated its "Managed Payments" is not regulated in UK and the PayPal that you and I know has a lame passport to operate in UK and is attempting to gain UK-based regulation.

Bet PayPal's passport isn't acceptable photo ID... (edited)
    sm969012/11/2021 17:44

Get a grip? Bit rude! Was only asking the question as I’ve had to provide p …Get a grip? Bit rude! Was only asking the question as I’ve had to provide passport/DL to paypal before they would release payment

Absolutely zero rudeness intended so have removed those words.
    Was attempting to emphasise the point that the companies in question can hardly be compared to other established financial institutions that have full permission to operate in UK, are fully regulated in UK and are based in UK.
    Same has happened to me and I have £200+ on hold. PayPal did the same then eventually eBay took over the money handling part! Never used PayPal now
    Something similar happened to me but as a normal user of PayPal not a seller.

Ive had an account for many years but don’t use it that much. I purchased something from eBay and had to put in a new card as the previous ones had expired.

Purchase went through, got the goods - all fine with transaction - no problems/disputes what so ever.

A few weeks later I started getting messages from eBay to verify my account and provide photo ID. Didn’t feel comfortable with that for just buying the occasional thing off eBay so tried to shutdown my account but they won’t let you until your verify and provide photo id. Bit of a catch 22. Just stopped using eBay/PayPal.
's avatar