Posted 3 days ago

Employee discounts: What benefits are provided by the largest retailers in the UK?

Hi folks, i know some will be aware about employee discounts but others may have forgotten, or just don't know how much discount you can get, from your employers, along with some pretty big savings, and some can be even shared with friends/family.

I thought i'd create a discussion on what they are, who provides them i.e the 'biggest retailers' and what discounts are on offer. If tried to collate as many as possible, but if there's some missing, please feel free to comment and i'll review ASAP.

Note: Not all employees may get discounts straight away, it may depend the length you are at the said company, also check any T&CS before you do share, as you could be in breach of said retailers terms and may block you from using them, in the future.

Employee Discounts: What Benefits Are Provided by the Largest Retailers in the UK?

Employee discounts have become a significant perk offered by many companies, particularly in the retail sector. In the UK, where retail is a cornerstone of the economy, understanding the benefits provided by the largest retailers in terms of employee discounts is essential. Let's delve into how some of the major retailers in the UK are shaping their employee discount policies and the advantages they bring to both employees and employers.

Benefits of Employee Discounts

Employee discounts offer a range of benefits to both employees and employers, including:

Financial Savings

Employee discounts allow workers to save money on their everyday expenses, helping them manage their budgets more effectively and improve their overall financial well-being.

Increased Employee Morale

Offering employee discounts can boost morale and job satisfaction, as employees feel valued and appreciated by their employer. This can lead to higher levels of productivity and engagement in the workplace.

Enhanced Employee Loyalty

Employees who receive discounts from their employer are more likely to feel loyal to the company and less inclined to seek employment elsewhere. This can reduce turnover rates and the associated costs of recruitment and training.

FAQs

Are employee discounts taxable?

In the UK, employee discounts are generally considered a non-taxable benefit as long as they meet certain criteria set by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). If you're unsure, speak with the HMRC or your company.

Can part-time employees avail of employee discounts?

Yes, many retailers extend employee discounts to both full-time and part-time employees, although the specific terms may vary depending on the company's policies.

Are employee discounts applicable to online purchases?

It depends on the retailer's policy. Some companies may offer employee discounts for online purchases, while others may limit discounts to in-store transactions.
Can employees share their discount with friends or family?

Employee discount policies typically prohibit sharing discounts with individuals who are not employed by the company, so those shared are at your own risk.

Do employee discounts expire?

The validity of employee discounts varies depending on the retailer's policy. Some discounts may have expiration dates, while others remain valid as long as the employee is employed by the company.

Here are the discounts listed in alphabetical order:

• Amazon Marketplace - 10% up to £1,000
  • Asda Grocery - 10%
  • ASOS Fashion - 40% off full priced items
  • B&M - 10%
  • Boots Health and beauty - 22.5% for Boots products; 12.5% for non-Boots products; 50% at Christmas*
  • Co-op Food Grocery - 30% for own-brand; 20% for branded
  • Currys Home, DIY and electricals - 10% discounts on products in store for you, your friends and family, plus discounts of up to 80% on mobile phones and calling plans.
  • Dunelm Home, DIY and electricals - 15%
  • Frasers Group Department stores - 20%
  • Halfords Sports and leisure - 25% off most products across Halfords and Tredz; up to 50% off garage bills at Halfords Autocentres
  • Home Bargains - 10% at employee’s own branch*
  • IKEA - 15% Available both online and in-store and more
  • Iceland Grocery - 15%
  • JD Sports Sports and leisure - 25%, plua other benefits
  • John Lewis Partnership (including Waitrose) Department stores and grocery - 20% at Waitrose; 25% at John Lewis; 12% for electricals
  • Kingfisher (including B&Q and Screwfix) Home, DIY and electricals - 20% at both brands
  • Lidl Grocery - 10% plus much more
  • Marks & Spencer Department stores - Get a 20% discount in-store and online for you and someone else in your household.
  • Morrisons Grocery - Enjoy 15% off your shopping at Morrisons, with no cap on savings. You can also nominate a family member or friend to receive 10% discount, with an annual savings cap of £1,000 each.
  • Next Department stores - 25% at Next; 15% across beauty; 10% for other brands (discounts also apply to close family members of Next employees)
  • Nike - 20% to 40% varying between regions
  • Ocado Grocery - 15%
  • Poundland - 10%
  • Primark - 15%
  • Sainsbury’s (including Argos) - 10% off your shop. That’s every time you spend with Sainsbury’s, Argos or Habitat, in store and online. And you can nominate a second user for your card, be that your mother, brother or significant other (as long as you live at the same address).
  • Tesco Grocery - 10% off purchases in Tesco stores and online, rising to 15% after every pay day for a four-day period / 10% off at One Stop /. 10% off pay monthly and SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
  • 10% off Tesco Cafe purchases, increasing to 15% after pay day for a four-day period / 20% off all F&F purchases / 30% off glasses at Vision Express and free eye tests (terms and conditions apply) / 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
  • TK Maxx - 10% year-round; 20% during special events*
  • The Very Group - 25% off fashion, beauty, furniture and garden; 15% electricals
Community Updates
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Friends can get me 35% off Adidas and Reebok (full priced, non sale items), about 8 to 10% off sale items
    do ur friends wrk for adidas or reebok keelaw?
    B&Q offer 20% employee discount and also 20% off Screwfix.
    Sainsburys/Argos 15% on payday
    15% every Friday and Saturday at Sainsbury's. 15% at Argos on payday 🏼
    Mountain warehouse is 50%
    The majority of "staff discounts" are available to all - in fact you usually get better deals following links on here!
    I get 5% or 6% off of a weekly shop at Morrisons, which is great for us as we regularly spend just over £200 a week so saves us over a tenner. Also 9% off the Lego store online is another excellent one.
    I work for a brewery, I get free beer
    I don't work for a brewery and I get free beer...
's avatar