Posted 1 day ago

Fake Facebook security warning

Just a heads up for people to be aware of a "password reset" warning that is doing the rounds from
security @facebookmail(dot)com
It is addressed to the correct email address, and your name is in the greeting, so there must have been a leak somewhere
"We received a request to reset your Facebook password.
Enter the following password reset code:
(Number given)
Alternatively, you can directly change your password"
End quote
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Holy crap !
    A Facebook security warning, that was actually from Facebook. That has to be the first occasion of this happening to me.
    It seems they do confirm it, but you have to dig to find out it is genuine. I had to use instructions from a third party site.
    So, if you have a concern, and want to check, go to your profile,
    Accounts center
    Passwords and privacy
    Security checks - recent emails
    Security / other emails (edited)
    Or

Someone did indeed try to log in to your account & the email is genuine & that is why they have your name in the email?
    Or why don't you really confuse them with
    Password2025
    Author
    What a great idea. I might use that on my HUKD account first
    I get these every now and then. They are genuine but obviously someone else is trying to mess with your account. You can report them but they can't really stop people from entering anyone's email address on the Forgotten Password screen.
    Author
    Luckily I change my password every year. Last year was Password2023, but don't bother trying that because it has already been changed to a new one
    Yes, that happens to me a lot, but I just ignore the message now. My password would take several lifetimes to find. Even I don’t know it … it’s in a password manager.
's avatar