Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 1 day ago

Invited for a disciplinary meeting due to WhatsApp status...

I was at a party two weeks ago and I put up some WhatsApp statuses. The disciplinary meeting is focused on putting the organisation's reputation at disrepute due to the type of music and the lyrics in the song in the background.

I admit I did pup the status twice as the lyric was repeated... but it's just song, that's been on the radio many times... and by a well known duo. It's a grime track.

A colleague has screen recorded my status and reported it via the anonymous reporting tool and HR have picked it up.

Should I be worried? I don't know what to do.
Community Updates
New Comment

62 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Gosh you've had so many employment (and driving/parking) issues!
    Must be mutley1's BFF
    If you get the sack then remember to name & shame your employer in as many ways as possible.

You might as well do it properly if that is what they are accusing you of

Seriously though, unless your company is seen or mentioned anywhere tell them to do one, in a polite way of course.

How long have you worked for them?
    Author
    2 years 1 month exactly now
    Unless you listed the company, or showed you worked for them (eg said, used a picture, uniform etc) ask how those statues would show your employment status.
    Author
    No i didnt was a none work party too
    This is why you should be careful putting stuff on social media sites what doesn’t offend you may offend other people
    I know this will trigger some people but - too many snowflakes nowadays, the western world has gone too woke.

We get reminders at work too about our social media presence, even our driving, just in case it comes back to give the company negative press.

No such thing as free speech nowadays, unless it aligns with a "certain" ideology.
    you have free speech, there are also consequences. But you mean you want to say what you want, how you want with zero consequences. It doesn't work like that. snowflakes and woke in one sentence (edited)
    "Should I be worried? I don't know what to do."

Don't post stuff of social media - people read it and get upset.
    Didn't you know: being hyper sensitive, victimised, virtue signalling, identity bewildered and a grass is the new normal

God help us should we ever get into having to defend the country in a war. We'd give it to them on a plate
    It seems to me whoever put the music on in the first place has more to answer for. Also did anyone who was senior to you make any attempt to stop the music/ make it clear no filming should take place.

Or was it a non works party. In which case it really depends on what your contract of employment states, but I'm no contract expert as I'm self employed and make it up as I like lol! (edited)
    Author
    It was a none works party, but me and one other colleague attended, and ive known that colleauge before i joined the organisation.
    Are you in a union, as they offer free legal advice to their members as part of their benefits package? (edited)
    Author
    Yes i am i have contacted them
    Presuming this is a works WhatsApp group?

If so, is it endorsed by the company or set up by colleagues?

If it's set up by the company there surely must be rules members have to follow, question is have you breached them?

If it's set up by colleagues, unless the company is specifically tarnished in the video then there's no question to answer to..

More info required for better advice to be given. (edited)
    Author
    No, its just a normal whatsapp status, no whatsapp group, someone who i work with (dont know who) has screen recorded it. Its on my private phone... It was a none works party, but me and one other colleague attended, and ive known that colleauge before i joined the organisation.
    Sounds like you’re due a nice long period of sickness due to “work related stress”
    Just decline the invitation, problem solved.
    I worked with a couple of lads once who had the misfortune (?) Of being captured on television as part of a football crowd singing derogatory chants. They were sacked on the spot even though they were not in any way shape or form connected with work at the time. .A firm can be extremely protective of their reputation.
    Public identification does matter. Too many idiots on social media who publish their nasty opinions and then wonder why they lost their jobs; the public can rightfully think that these opinions reflect their work culture because they seem to be tolerated. These days, nothing is ever private and we must simply assume that it will make its way to the online world. (edited)
    Your employer doesn't own you (despite what many think)
    Read your contract, see if you've fallen foul to any clause, and if not - fight it ferociously.
    Explain how this was on YOUR private time, and they have no right to police you when off duty.
    Of course you may be in a sensitive job, and have security written into the contract... In which case, was you provided with training as to how to behave off the clock.... If not, it's back on them.
    Why would someone make this up?
    Well, it has been made up, the same as the other discussions. I have a few ideas why but can't post them & the OP isn't alone
    How can one person have soooooo many work related issues, even with different employers
    March ------- "Hi everyone. I've been working in my current job where I have to wear a uniform. I work in the transport industry, and I've been working in the job since 2019 October."

"How long have you worked for them?" Today ----- "2 years 1 month exactly now"

They obviously have a couple of jobs
    You're going to jail, have a supply of soap bars ready.
    I would get some legal advice before you attended .
    Time to dig paperwork - what your contract is saying about gross misconduct? If putting organisation's reputation at disrepute is one of the cases then you are in a big trouble
    Author
    The thing is i dont understand how i've put the organisation's reputation at disrepute, it was me and another colleague who ive known before I joined the organisation. I wasn't wearing uniform...
    Does the status have anyway that your work place could be identified by it? You need to read your handbook or contract and see what the social media part says. Hope you have a union and dont add snakes, if work has group WhatsApp its not allowed unless it's mentioned in your contract which I very much doubt. To many snakes about, you must becareful.
    Author
    It was a none works party, but me and one other colleague attended, and ive known that colleauge before i joined the organisation.
    Move on, admit your mistake and find another job. Loads around at the moment.
    Author
    What mistake though? Thats what i dont understand...
    Get the union in, they are better suited for this type of work
    Just make sure they are smarter than this shower...

This is why you pay your union dues. Free representation and the ability to make management sweat in these meetings. You are entitled to representation from a colleague even if you aren't a union member.

If you talk to colleagues on it, if you are in anyway identifiable as an employee of said company... It's not good for you. If the lyrics are as bad as I suspect they are, you should prepare for the worst.

Keep a note of every stage of the entire process. Things said to you, any double standards etc. there's always the possibility of going through to ACAS (especially if the chat was private, you weren't identifiable and it wasn't between co-workers). Remember, they can only sack you for a first offence if it's GROSS misconduct, which is a high burden, lesser forms of misconduct must only result in warnings or some sort of performance plan (these are also a a popular method of illegal constructive dismissal)
    So let me get this right.

You were at a party no way affiliated with the company?
    You put up a whatsapp status that no way implicated or named the company?
    Your whatsapp is your own private whatsapp on your own private phone and nothing to do with the company?

If all of the above is true, then as the Americans say, tell them to pound sand.
    Life is too short, find another job. Or better yet, set up your own business and do wtf you like, within reason.
    should you be worried? that's for you to decide. the fact you post about it on here suggests you take the issue seriously enough to be worried. the employer inviting you to a disciplinary meeting is a good reason to be worried. if you worry about it you are likely to take it more seriously than if you didn't worry, and if you take it seriously you are more likely to do the right thing and avoid your employment being terminated

the employer could terminate your employment, rightly or wrongly, as any employer could do to anyone at any time for any reason or not even give a reason. employment law is there to protect employees and most employers follow good practice to avoid disputes and tribunals, but not all employers do this, at least not all the time, thus why we have tribunals. sounds like the employer is following some good practice at least. if it's a big employer, which if it's transport and involves a uniform and there's a whatsapp group, it suggests to me it is, then they are more likely to follow good practice and have qualified trained and experience staff to deal with HR to avoid tribunals. you are only providing part of the story so without providing a lot more detail, i would suggest contact ACAS first, as you have qualified, trained and experience professionals who deal with HR issues every day, it's free, relatively anonymous, and you can provide all the info to them to answer their questions so they can give advice. after you've done that, if you are in a union, speak to your union for a second opinion

does the letter inviting you to the disciplinary hearing not outline the details of the complaint so you know exactly what they take issue in, and does it not state what the potential outcome of the hearing could be, such as termination of employment, or a formal warning? something doesn't need to be specified in the contract explicitly as gross misconduct for it to be treated as such, but i'd usually suggest that if it was considered gross misconduct then the letter would mention it. if something is considered gross misconduct and you are found to have done it (whether you actually did it or not is another thing - it's the process being followed that counts) then gross misconduct issues are usually those found serious enough to result in termination of employment

the other person/employee at the party, are they not being called as a witness or anything? if the issue is the whatsapp post and they didn't do a similar thing, then just being at the party isn't the problem, it's the communication. you don't say what role you have or what grade, but if it involves comms to the public and the public or other staff could see what you've posted without having to be in your personal whatsapp list then that may be a concern to the employer. less so perhaps if it's only staff internally that can see it and not the public, but if you have a diverse range of staff that can see the post and the wording may be considered innapropriate such as sexist or racist for example, then the business may consider allowing staff to make comms that way without action being taken as bringing the company into disrepute as they allow staff to make inappropriate comments viewed by other staff without any consequences

why would you post such a thing that your employers or colleagues would see/hear in the first place?

take this as a good lesson and remember in future, what happens in vegas stays in vegas
    Company I work for has strict rules about what we can and what we can’t post/like/engage in social media.
    In nut shell it’s about staying away from geo political issues/conflicts and UK politics.

Anything no matter how small results in termination. This was made very clear during orientation and also made clear on contract we signed.

Check what was in your contract and if any such guidance was provided.

WhatsApp Status is visible to everyone who have added you as contact so reach is more than you think.

Don’t go alone take union rep with you.
    This sounds insane. What industry are you in?

"what we can and what we can’t post/like/engage in social media"
    Tell them you will record your meeting, if it gets that far. If they refuse you doing it then tell them you want an audio / video recording.
    First offences are usually verbal warnings, but no matter,get the Union involved.
    Asking strangers on social media how to tidy up a mess created on social media is not your best solution.
    However, watch your back now because the person who brought this up obviously has a grudge, and having "lost" this round, will be out for revenge. Also the firm will have you marked as a troublemaker, especially if the reporter is anonymous and so they can't mark them up.
    Unfortunately everyone wants to film everything and then post it everywhere for everyone to see.

And it's an addiction.
    When I have used social media it's been in a fake name and I don't use a phone number or e mail address known to anyone connected to those accounts so it so I can't be looked up as I believe you can look up FB profiles with a phone number or email address
    Tell them if they want a dedicated work whatsapp group then they need to get you a separate works phone for that reason.
    Don't be using our private phone / laptop or anything else for work related stuff, or even for an informal work discussion group with people you don't know very well. (edited)
    Say someone else who doesn't work for the company, recorded the footage without your consent. And buy that friend a drink. Case closed.
    If your going to go out, go out with a bang. Video call the whole thing and if they sack you I'm sure they would get their fair of hate if not justified. You could get cash when it goes viral to. If no sack, don't post. Don't show your face or edit it out.
's avatar