Posted 28 April 2024

Is this just acceptable now?

So I'm in a well known retailer yesterday in a massive queue and as I get near the tills, the person behind me phones a person much further down the queue but with the speaker on and it's loud and they are loud. Then the person 2 places behind them, already on their phone with the speaker on, turns theirs up due to the person behind me using their speaker so they can hear better. On top of that, their is someone being served in front of me on their phone, speaker on, telling the person at the other end that they can't hear them too well as it's noisy and turns their speaker up. Also, I'm assuming, the person who was called by the person behind me is taking the call the same way. Noone bats an eyelid. Is everyone just a moron now and more selfish than ever? Why can't people take calls normally anymore?
Community Updates
New Comment

33 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Can I have my 2 minutes in time and 1% of battery life back
    Author
    Ah, you're one
    It's at times like that you make full use of your Tidal / Spotify account, and find some Thrash Metal, Punk, or Bjork, and play it alongside them at matching volume.
    If you want to clear the queue, play some Yoko Ono. (edited)
    Ive never once seen someone using thier phone on loud speaker whilst queuing at a till abd youve seen 4 in the same queue, weird (edited)
    Author
    3, read the post
    [deleted]
    52654968-kx2Bh.jpg
    Yes, morons everywhere
    I don't get why people use the phone by holding it face up and holding it close to their mouth. Makes no sense. Not been able to figure out a scenario where that is a better way of using it, than just holding it to their ear. I assume they are flat earthers, worried about radiation or something
    They've been indoctrinated by The Apprentice.
    I don't go out without my earphones these days.. it's worse than ever how much people don't care about others.
    It seems to always be iphone owners who use speakerphone in front of their face, possibly too dim to realise you can hold it to your ear.
    It makes no sense to take all calls on speaker phone, especially when out and about with lots of people around.
    I would have loudly started talking nonsense to myself to disrupt the call. (edited)
    Join in the conversation
    Just like when your on buses, and people having conversations on their mobile, can hear them from other end of the bus. most folk just don't talk discreetly anymore.. (edited)
    I don't understand how it's even possible to take a call like that. They're often so loud that it's distorting and they can't understand the other person. As for the 'why', is it specifically that they want to share both sides of the call with the entire world? Or are they still under the mistaken assumption that the radiation will turn them into mutants by the end of the month?

Then again, in my best 'old man yelling at clouds' voice, I remember growing up with people who whistle while they shop...
    Yes agreed everyone is moronic nowadays.
    I've seen people holding their phones horizontally as if they're almost trying to insert them into their ears because they're on a speakerphone call and trying to listen to the person's reply.

Saw someone else holding their phone vertically in front of their face as if they were trying to take a picture of their chin but they were also on a speakerphone call.

And that's aside from the countless speakerphone calls I've heard people make on public transport.

I'd love for some kind of "officer" to appear and say "Excuse me, but since you clearly don't know how to use your phone properly I'll be confiscating it. You can have it back when you can prove you can make a phonecall properly".
    Did one of them jump the queue or not?
    no
    yes there are people who could be described those ways lol it's funny really
    You catched that many deaf people in one go 👀 this has potential of meme.
    I think your find it's most people walk around using facetime for some strange reason
    Billy?
    I frequently see people making hands free or video calls loudly in the supermarket. I don't understand it either. I'm sure most are aware you can hold it to your ear. Maybe they are worried about radiation. Or maybe they really are stupid. People do seem much more angry, rude and selfish these days.
's avatar