Posted 8 January 2013

Non-returnable and Non-refundable items

I wondered if anyone might know if a company is allowed to have this kind of policy:

'Motelrocks.com reserves the right to not issue refunds. An exchange or credit note with be offered on full price garments (sale items and items bought with a promotional code are non-returnable and non-refundable) providing they are returned with a RAN code and unworn within 14 days of purchase.'

I've never heard of a company that stops their customers from returning an item if they used a promotional code before, is this legal?

Also is it legal to only offer an exchange or credits, instead of a refund? Going by that it seems they will not offer any kind of refund, even if it was a full price item.

I just can't believe that they do not offer refunds at all, especially if you use a promotional code. This was my first time buying from them, the item I bought is okay but it was a different colour than what I was expecting but I will definitely not buy from them again in the future after reading their returns policy.
Community Updates
New Comment

5 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    No it's illegal under DSR
    Just report them to consumer direct / trading standards and move on to another more reliable retailer
    If it's defective then they will give a refund. If not they don't have to.

Ever seen "this does not effect your statutory rights"? - That means your rights under various acts, notably the Sale of Goods Act, with regards to faulty items.

If a company chooses to allow the return of non faulty goods then it is up to them to decide their policy.
    sancho1983

If it's defective then they will give a refund. If not they don't have … If it's defective then they will give a refund. If not they don't have to.Ever seen "this does not effect your statutory rights"? - That means your rights under various acts, notably the Sale of Goods Act, with regards to faulty items.If a company chooses to allow the return of non faulty goods then it is up to them to decide their policy.

All companies must abide by the Distance Selling Regulations which gives customers the right to return items within a given timescale, if they change their mind.
    Author
    whatsThePoint

just go elsewhere

That doesn't really answer my question I said that I will not buy from them again.

I just looked at their website and it doesn't mention anything about promotional codes or sale items affecting the refund when you look at their 'Refunds' section. It seems it is only on the bottom of my order form that it mentions it. The website also says they will fully refund you as long as you return it within 14 days after it arrived. Very strange!

It does seem illegal due to DSR as Olympians said - I just had a quick read so I may be wrong, but you have a 7 day allowance to cancel the contract and receive a refund, so therefore I should be entitled to one. I'm going to write an email and see if they can clear things up.
's avatar