Posted 6 April 2024

Nuisance calls

Hi everyone

I've been getting more than a few nuisance calls lately. Latest one is from "Manor Farm House" - 01747 811974 and when I answered it, a man said "I've just walked through your door Mr Worrall and there's no one here, so (swear word I can't say on here) off"... immediately panicked me as I was home alone at the time and the call happened literally a few seconds after I entered my house. I have no idea how they know my phone number, I can only guess they know my surname from online profiles (like here on hotukdeals)

Another call I had was from "Robert Bowring Butchers Bolsover" - 01246 824238... strangely I got this call at 17:36 today and according to Google, this butchers shop I've never heard of or visited closed at 3pm today so they wouldn't be open at 17:36. Unless it was a spoofed number or this butchers shop isn't a genuine butchers??

Also had a call from "O2" which was a private number. For this one I was bored anyway so went through with them giving false details (made up names and address etc), when they asked for my postcode I said "my postcode is 'I know you are a scammer'" and they told me to (swear word I can't say on here) off...

I usually use Google Pixel Call Screen for these calls, but I am waiting for a phone call from something I've applied to and I don't know the number it will be coming from. Usually I don't get so many, has anyone else had an influx in nuisance calls lately?!

I am aware the easiest solution would be to get a new phone number, but I've had this one for years and it's linked to so many services it would be more effort than it's worth to change it
Community Updates
New Comment

32 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Ive been getting them constantly the past week. Way more than usual. I did once before have a call from a spoofed number of a garage, i called the garage back and they had no idea what i was on about. Even when i block them its just different numbers everytime
    Author
    Thanks - glad to know it isn't just me, as annoying as they are! The Manor Farm House one shocks me as according to Google it's a hotel?? Safe to say I won't be staying there! Unless it was a spoofed number, maybe?
    Your details have probably been included in a recent data breach. I started receiving loads of spam calls after an Easyjet data breach a few years ago. Unfortunately there are minimal consequences for the companies that fail to keep our personal information secure so it keeps happening. You can check if any of your data was leaked here:

haveibeenpwned.com/ (edited)
    I had an email from perfume direct to say that they had a data breach. I’m expecting an influx of spam calls etc now even though I only ever used the company once many years ago.
    My phone is pretty good at flagging spam calls, however when I forget myself and answer I'm usually greated with silence or they confirm who i am and hang up. I visit who-called.co.uk/ and record the number - which seems to always be listed there!
    I do the same, I always report them on there and sometimes to the ICO.
    I have a number that I’ve never given out to any business, but still get nuisance calls on it. I don’t think it matters if you get a new number as you’ll eventually get such calls. Unfortunately this is something we all have to live with for the foreseeable future. 

I quite like the “You have an accident in the last twelve months” calls. I always answer “Yes, it was fatal.” The stupid ones still ask what happened.
    Author
    No idea if it's true or not, but I've heard it's recommended to never say a direct "Yes" during these calls as they can apparently edit that to make it sound like you have agreed to something?

I don't know if these scammers can, or even do, but on the O2 one I just said "Mhm", "Ok", "Uh-huh" instead of "Yes"
    Can confirm that Bowrings butchers are a legit butchers as we have used them before so I can say with certainty they are likely not part of the shenanigans.
    As mentioned. Robert Bowring Butchers Bolsover is legit. Been in myself as from near there.

I often get 'phone spoofed' area code numbers I don't recognise ringing my mobile number and sometimes our home phone. I have come to the conlusion who I am signed up to for broadband and mobile, sells my mobile and/or home telephone numbers on as nowhere else has my numbers
    Author
    Have you answered these spoofed calls, just out of interest? If you have, do they claim to be calling from the spoofed business, for example Robert Bowring Butchers Bolsover? (edited)
    I never answer a call if I don't recognise the number or expecting a call
    I google the number and see what others are saying
    Author
    Oh I wouldn't usually answer, the thing is I'm expecting a call from a project but I haven't been advised of the number that will be calling
    I don't answer numbers I don't recognise. I do answer Withheld and Private numbers, as they are almost always legitimate, eg the medical centre, hospital, etc.

A recent thing is the name of a company I've never heard of appearing as the caller. I don't answer those either.

I always check the numbers on who-called.co.uk and report them on there. You can report them to the ICO if you have actually spoken to them.
    The auto diallers will just try every number until someone answers, so whether it's new or old it'll still get picked up eventually. I do get waves of calls, as I'm typing I am wondering whether I'm due another batch!!
    Author
    It's probably just coincidence, but since I switched from Voxi to Smarty I appear to be getting a lot more of these calls. I don't think that has anything to do with it though, as I am using the same number I had when I was with Voxi
    No profile anywhere, including Facebook and all that nonsense, should ever have your proper name attached.
    However, some of these apps expect you to allow the sharing of your number because it somehow increases your experience. And people are dumb enough to do it.
    If your app puts a name to the caller and you don't recognise it, don't answer. If it has no number then let it go to voicemail. If that was the call you were expecting then you'll have to call back.
    Nobody should ever be allowed to withhold their number. It shows no respect to you for a start
    Just scream over the phone next time. That’s what I did or use a whistle
    Got one recently supposedly from an Indian restaurant in Islington - I don't even live in England, Answered as I was walking and got a hard sell from someone trying to "give" me a downgrade to an iPhone. When I said I wasn't interested, they tried a Samdung S24. Then when I said I was on a £4 a month sim, they tried to undercut. Then I hung up having wasted enough of their (and my) time. (edited)
    To be fair.

If you are using your own name I can quite easily find your address & I may be able to find your phone number too. But the address would be very easy.
    If you want to keep your number you can invest in this service. It's excellent.... truecall.co.uk/sho…ker
    It's not cheap but it will allow you to keep your number.
    I had a series of these several months ago from various legitimate businesses, but I employed the tactic that my wife uses which is answer and don't say anything. If it's a genuine human (which happened on one occasion) they will say something rather than it being quiet.
's avatar