Groups

PALM PRE3 & HP TOUCHPAD STOCK LEVELS - OFFICIAL THREAD

STOCK ALERT: NO STOCK AT THE MOMENT
    DAILY UPDATE - None
    NO SELLING ON THIS THREAD DUE TO FORUM RULES
    RUMOURS-
    HP will refund those who have purchased Pre 3 and the TouchPad at full price if activated BEFORE 23rd Aug
    Owners thread - hotukdeals.com/mis…816
    Chat thread - hotukdeals.com/mis…148
    Link to HP EMPLOYEE WEBSITE
    h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/…ect
    FOR EMPLOYEES ONLY

61535 Comments

judging from the engadget post this was only a matter of time

personally i cant buy a product knowing this is it as far as updates go

still voted hot though
    Edited by: "bluepeter11" 21st Aug 2011

Isn't it doomed? Kidding, but I agreed that the price will come down soon, shame that the project has been terminated.

Hardly worth posting at this price.....

I agree, hardly worth posting but it is the cheapest.. And actually depending on your use might be of interest.. I suspect a Ipad 1 for casual users is still better than this though..

I am watching tablet world closely..

Rang Best Buy today and asked what the crack was in the UK.. the response was we will know Monday so it will be interesting to see what they will do.

If this falls to £100 touch I will get one incase someone figures out how to stick andriod on it and in the mean time give it to the wife for kindle and web use..
    Edited by: "CLEPAU676" 21st Aug 2011

CLEPAU676

I agree, hardly worth posting but it is the cheapest.. And actually … I agree, hardly worth posting but it is the cheapest.. And actually depending on your use might be of interest.. I suspect a Ipad 1 for casual users is still better than this though..I am watching tablet world closely..Rang Best Buy today and asked what the crack was in the UK.. the response was we will know Monday so it will be interesting to see what they will do.If this falls to £100 touch I will get one incase someone figures out how to stick andriod on it and in the mean time give it to the wife for kindle and web use..

I wasn't slaggin the product, they are brilliant quality. I just think we all know there is a lot of money coming off these in the next few days, would hate to see someone spend £275 one.

Did not vote either way but interesting to hear this could possibly drop in price to around £100. Thanks

Might not go as low as that as its $99 plus sales tax (their equivilent of VAT ish) but I reckon we will see this at sub £200 next week... Then unless it sells out progressively lower price points until they are all gone..

Yeah its gotta go lower than this yet.
    Still waiting to snatch it at around £100 or so

I had friend buy me one from Canada because I doubt they'll go down to £100 in the UK. Theyre sold out online everywhere in USA and most stores that still have stock are charging the normal price. Interestingly people who paid the full $400 have apparantley been able to ring up HP or wherever they bought it from and have been refunded the difference

How they hope to get away with this price in the UK am not sur. really hope the price will fall below or around 100 pounds. otherwise there is no point

This can be hardly termed the start of the firesale in the UK, especially when one sellers price was 280 plus a small shipping charge yesterday on Amazon, although this particular seller was selling for 380 yesterday i noticed

Cold!

Another observation is Amazon have dropped their own price for the 16gb since yesterday from 349.99 to 307.99 for the 16gb, interestingly the 32gb remains the same price at 429.99.

If these are flying off the shelves in the US , you can guarantee a few devs have a hold of them , be just a matter of time before they get another OS running on this !

Edited by: "geedub" 21st Aug 2011

Unless you can find a way of installing android on it then I don't think its worth buying even for peanuts ? Anyone have any thoughts on this...... Not voted btw

when it gets to well under 200 i might take a looksy...

Pjcity

Unless you can find a way of installing android on it then I don't think … Unless you can find a way of installing android on it then I don't think its worth buying even for peanuts ? Anyone have any thoughts on this...... Not voted btw

Agreed - without Android it won't be much use.

I hate Apple with a passion, but frankly I'd rather pay the extra for an iPad.

To say nothing of the fact that we should be boycotting HP for their disgusting attitude to their customers, pulling the plug on this product at this early stage is nothing less than a disgrace.

Newbold

Agreed - without Android it won't be much use. I hate Apple with a … Agreed - without Android it won't be much use. I hate Apple with a passion, but frankly I'd rather pay the extra for an iPad.

People trying to put Ubuntu on it: forums.precentral.net/web…tml

I would take a punt for 100 quid but that's my limit.

Pjcity

Unless you can find a way of installing android on it then I don't think … Unless you can find a way of installing android on it then I don't think its worth buying even for peanuts ? Anyone have any thoughts on this...... Not voted btw

Im waiting for the price drop as previously said, it will have android on it soon so worth getting.

BTW bitching avatar

Apparently Hp are refunding the difference to people in the USA who bought it at full price recently. Maybe its worth buying for this reason alone?

Best Buy aren't flogging them for $99, they've pulled them off the shelves and are shipping them back to HP
    i'd be surprised if we see very many on this country at properly silly prices unfortunately, but we can hope
    (i reckon for the hardware we're talking, anything around £150 is def worth a punt to see what you can do with the thing )

That decision got reversed not long ago. They are now selling them at best buy:
    engadget.com/201…od/

This is a complete screw up
    They should have bulked up security and sold it to business sector
    or palmed them off cheapo with mobile tariff deals

what a mess

idiots

COCO

elmat

That decision got reversed not long ago. They are now selling them at … That decision got reversed not long ago. They are now selling them at best buy:http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/21/confirmed-best-buy-us-begins-selling-touchpads-after-all-good/

cool, means there's more chance we'll see some uber cheap deals too then

I got one of these for evaluation for free, probably the worst tablet ive used ,inc the cheap dealextreme android ones.

Frankly horrendous, os aside ( clunky and non intuitive) the hardware was not well made and indeed
    Seemed slow and unresponsive.

Literally used for about 20 mins then returned to HP!! With a list of reasons why they would never sell any.....

Not that great compared to the deals over in the US/ Canada.

Its a shame its failed, I quite liked the look of them when first revealed.
    Edited by: "J400uk" 21st Aug 2011

I spent a lot of time yesterday looking through Slickdeals (US equivilant to HUKD) and tried to order from HP/Datavis etc. but neither delivered to UK.
    It's crazy really, on Slickdeals the posts come in so fast that I can't even read them at the speed they are posted. I think there's been like 10.000 posts by now.
    Loads of Touchpads are on Ebay now at $250 - good luck with that.

Really hope this drops in UK tomorrow, but who knows.

The software's probably fine in usability terms when you've got used to it, but it seemed so unresponsive when I had a quick play with one in PC World. Apparently it's the (poorly-written) software that's to blame for this as opposed to the fairly decent-spec hardware, and I thought that no way in hell is this worth £400. Really disappointing given the potential on offer.

Might buy one for £120 though

Arcana

I spent a lot of time yesterday looking through Slickdeals (US equivilant … I spent a lot of time yesterday looking through Slickdeals (US equivilant to HUKD) and tried to order from HP/Datavis etc. but neither delivered to UK. It's crazy really, on Slickdeals the posts come in so fast that I can't even read them at the speed they are posted. I think there's been like 10.000 posts by now. Loads of Touchpads are on Ebay now at $250 - good luck with that.Really hope this drops in UK tomorrow, but who knows.

Same here, Hp wouldnt even accept paypal for Shipping to US address for me. Missed the datavis deal on ebay. ve ordered from amazon fingers crossed hoping they reduce the price tomorrow.

$100 = £60 should we expect this price mates?

Can anybody tell me why in the UK, the price of digital things such as tablets, laptops, computers... are much more expensive than that in the US. For example, the official US Apple website selling iPad 2 $499 while UK is £399 = $657. Many other examples like this.

vbbgold

Can anybody tell me why in the UK, the price of digital things such as … Can anybody tell me why in the UK, the price of digital things such as tablets, laptops, computers... are much more expensive than that in the US. For example, the official US Apple website selling iPad 2 $499 while UK is £399 = $657. Many other examples like this.

They charge that extra price in the UK for a number of reasons but the most compelling one for them will be that people will pay that extra price in the UK.

vbbgold

Can anybody tell me why in the UK, the price of digital things such as … Can anybody tell me why in the UK, the price of digital things such as tablets, laptops, computers... are much more expensive than that in the US. For example, the official US Apple website selling iPad 2 $499 while UK is £399 = $657. Many other examples like this.

US prices don't include tax - the UK price ex. vat is £332, the US price is exactly the same at an exchange rate of 1.5.

I got a Palm/HP Pre 2 when they were cheap, it runs WebOS 2.1 and I much prefer it to my previous Android phones. A Touchpad for a ton would be brilliant...

mclassplanet

The software's probably fine in usability terms when you've got used to … The software's probably fine in usability terms when you've got used to it, but it seemed so unresponsive when I had a quick play with one in PC World. Apparently it's the (poorly-written) software that's to blame for this as opposed to the fairly decent-spec hardware, and I thought that no way in hell is this worth £400. Really disappointing given the potential on offer.Might buy one for £120 though

The Web OS devs have already ran the OS on the iPad 2 and it was a lot quicker. There are some really talented people at HP/Palm. The poor performance seems to be down to the hardware more than "poorly-written software".

mclassplanet

Apparently it's the (poorly-written) software that's to blame for this … Apparently it's the (poorly-written) software that's to blame for this as opposed to the fairly decent-spec hardware, and I thought that no way in hell is this worth £400. Really disappointing given the potential on offer

It's the other way around, the Touchpad hardware is actually an old design and the software was dragged down by this.

HP got their software to run on the iPad 2 and it was twice as fast.
    thenextweb.com/app…st/

Not looking good even for Android and/or Ubuntu as it'll be a slow device even then. But at £99 could be a good deal for those who only want to do a bit of web browsing (forget running any good games)
    Edited by: "jmarcelino" 21st Aug 2011

vbbgold

As mentioned by others, prices seen on american retail store do not include sales tax which is kind of like our VAT over here int he UK. The reason why they do not show prices with sales tax is because it varies between each american state...

vidaamericana.com/eng…tml

...whereas here it's the same rate across whole of UK. As you can see in that list above, there are a number of states that do not pay ANY sales tax at all. Lucky bar-stewards

I'll eat my iPad if anywhere in the uk actually sells these things for 100 quid. Seriously.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64534
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391414
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1133
      4. Win A Galaxy Note 8 With Caseology & AndroidHeadlines *** ENDS TODAY ***22

See more discussions