Posted 21 hours ago

Plumbing woes

So I thought I'd share my plumbing woes. Bathroom sink was blocked, easy enough to unblock by removing the water trap, job done. Sadly the whole trap assembly was unscrewed and the rubber seals lost. No problem Screwfix is just down the road I'll order a whole new trap as they are cheap, in stock and I can't find the rubber seals on their own. OMG - it turns out the bathroom sink is not a sink - it's a basin. As it's a basin it uses BSP fittings not metric. The waste pipe is metric not BSP. Screwfix don't list the BSP size (the basin connection) they only list the waste size (mm). Thankfully the Screwfix staff are understanding and have told me to just buy them all and return what doesn't fit!
Why can't they simply list the sink/basin connection size followed by the waste/outlet size?
Reading the comments on their site it appears I am not alone. Turns out I need a 1 1/4BSP to 34mm trap - try finding one of those on the Screwfix website!
/rant over
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Screwfix & Toolstation product details are often very poor. At least with Screwfix you have the Q&A section which can be very useful (when someone has bothered to answer the question of course!).
    Always read QA and comments!!! Theyre very helpful
    [deleted]
    Author
    Ha! You'd think it would be that easy...
    Author
    Sadly that is for a pipe connection - it won't fit my basin!
    Not quite sure why you are saying basin wastes are imperial.
    Author
    Did you bother checking on Screwfix? The basin is measured in BSP - this appears to be universal, the waste pipes are metric. Screwfix don't report what size the basin connection is...
    When I've struggled with seals, I've just used silicone sealant instead. No more leaks after that!
    Depending on whether you are talking about solvent or compression or push fit pipes they'll all be a slightly different size.....even though they might be in the 32/40mm bracket....
    OP is talking about the trap to waste connection.
's avatar