Posted 30 December 2009

TV broken already Grrrrrrr

Bought a Sony KDL40W5500 from comet on monday, watching it tonight it switched itself off, came back on with no problems.

Hope this isn't going to start developing a fault, does anyone know of any common problems with this tv switching itself off?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    hi i hab some problems with sony turning it self off and back on if i was you i send it back ask for another make :thumbsup::santa:
    Are you sure you didn't catch or maybe someone else catch the sleep button?
    Author
    There is no-one else here and i was sitting at my comp so didn't touch the remote or any buttons.
    i used to have sony tv before and it cause me a lot of grief so isend it back and got lg . it work for a while then it turns itself on and off few time in the day then it was ok for a few days then it started again
    apples33;7376220

There is no-one else here and i was sitting at my comp so didn't touch … There is no-one else here and i was sitting at my comp so didn't touch the remote or any buttons.

Come to think of it, I've heard about powering off problems on some Sony TV's, I'd defo recommend you take it back.

I've got a Sony TV and maybe I've been lucky as mine always stays on.
    My Sony KDL32D3000 does that; the pictures freezes for a second then it switches itself off. It's only ever happened when I've been watching the in built Freeview, never when I'm watching stuff via AV inputs.
    ratbag2810;7376272

i used to have sony tv before and it cause me a lot of grief so isend it … i used to have sony tv before and it cause me a lot of grief so isend it back and got lg . it work for a while then it turns itself on and off few time in the day then it was ok for a few days then it started again

that why i got rid of it
    windhoek;7376360

My Sony KDL32D3000 does that; the pictures freezes for a second then it … My Sony KDL32D3000 does that; the pictures freezes for a second then it switches itself off. It's only ever happened when I've been watching the in built Freeview, never when I'm watching stuff via AV inputs.

Luckily for me then I only use mine for watching Sky and Xbox 360...!!!
    It's up to you, but if you don't want to take it back, write to the store stating the problem, so that they know exactly when it started to occur.
    Hope you were not watching stuff like your display pic...
    Author
    Thanks for the replies, before this is had a Samsung and after reading reviews seems there is a common fault with them using cheap parts that end up failing after 2years, thats why i bought sony.

I like the LG's but all the LG's i've looked at dont have a headphone socket and sometimes that comes in handy.

Might give it till the weekend then see if it does it again, if it does back it goes, luckily it has the 3yrs Sont gurantee
    Author
    JaYy_dOg;7376408

Hope you were not watching stuff like your display pic...

Ha ha, nah wheeler dealers, just as well it turned off really :thumbsup:
    do not leave too long because the shop will take it that quick .
    I have seen this before happening,i think in the end they need a exorcist:w00t:
    Can you do a firmware upgrade ?
    It might be worth you looking on the w5500 thread on avforums to see if that is a regular fault with that set. I've had my Pioneer LCD do the same to me although my previous Sony LCD's never posed any problems.
    thesaint;7376400

It's up to you, but if you don't want to take it back, write to the store … It's up to you, but if you don't want to take it back, write to the store stating the problem, so that they know exactly when it started to occur.

top advice there... people dont normally think of that!
    Author
    Now who feels like a plum :oops:

Was trying to set up the DLNA, and while doing so saw a settings button, pressed it and eco was enabled to switch the tv off if it was idle for 3hrs :oops:

Hoping it is that :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help :thumbsup:

Happy new year all
's avatar