Posted 1 hour ago

Warning - M25 closures from 9pm this Friday

More info available elsewhere. This is just a "heads up" for those unaware.
Copy paste

It’s the busiest junction on the busiest motorway in the country. But at 9pm on Friday, the traffic will disappear completely from a five-mile stretch of the M25 as it closes for roadworks during daytime for the first time in its history.

The London Orbital will be shut in both directions between junctions 10 and 11 until 6am on Monday, as part of a £317 million engineering project to build a new interchange with the A3, improving safety, congestion, and even, according to National Highways, the local environment.

Up to 6,000 vehicles an hour bound for Heathrow, Gatwick and the Channel ports will be diverted to adjoining roads in Surrey, causing widespread traffic jams. Motorists have been advised to stay away.

They had better get used to the disruption. There will be a further four weekend closures between now and September, on dates yet to be decided, to allow work to continue. The aim is to complete it by summer next year.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Yes, my wife saw this yesterday.
    I got caught up in these works when taking my daughter to Gatwick at 4am a few months ago. The diversions were a real pain as I could have avoided it all had I been aware. It's going to be a nightmare
    Thanks for this. I exit a bit higher up on my commute but good to know just in case. Night driving on the 25 has become absolutely horrific. They seem to close slip roads and turn offs almost at random at the moment and if you get unlucky it can double your drive time back home. I appreciate it’s a bit like the Forth Bridge in the sense that once you sort one part you have to start doing another but it’s absolutely painful at the moment. 
    Author
    Remember that if you are considering rat running inside the M25, that Kahn is not turning off the ULEZ, which stretches down to Chessington, where you would get out at junction 9 (edited)
's avatar