Posted 1 day ago

X, previously known as Twitter, is planning to charge all new users a fee to post, like and reply on the Platform

Are you in favour of it? Do you think it will stop the spam/bots?

X planning to start charging new users to postX is considering charging new users a fee to post, like and reply on the platform.

The social media site's owner Elon Musk said introducing the "small fee" was the "only way" to stop fake or bot accounts.

4329123-KW5I0.jpg
(Link to said 'tweet')

It comes after the Tesla and Space X boss launched a pilot scheme in New Zealand and the Philippines last year, which required new users to pay a one dollar a year subscription to access key features.

Mr Musk's comment suggest the trial could be introduced more widely. (Source)

Likey, the fee, is set to be around $1/£1 per month, for 3 months, based on the pilot scheme mentioned above. I i guess time will tell but going by these statistics and maybe taking that with a pinch of salt, there's 368 million, monthly, users, so there could be a significant revenue to Mr Musk and X
Community Updates
New Comment

40 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I don't think people will want to pay to voice their thoughts, they will find a different platform to troll...
    I think it's silly just like the name X
    Author
    Fair point!
    Death of X now, Threads will take over.
    X is dead - Elon just hasn't noticed yet.
    As an early adopter of BlueSky, I get immensely frustrated that Elon keeps teeing up open goals for them to exploit to try and drive the user base up and their response is always "Nah, we're good".

But then people will pay it. I think Twitter is far too ingrained into society that people, and businesses, will feel they have to be on it. And it exploits that notion of "Oh it's only £1/$1" as well.
    Author
    Well, i think it may start off with just 3 months then be a total subscription platform. Most see it as easy money now. Not quite the same but look at Amazon and adverts, pay for prime but yet need to pay xx to get rid of them also, it's pretty crappy. As you say though, either live with it or pay up :/
    Delete X and bot problem solved.
    I get strange 'webcam girls' Following me on Twitter nearly every day (and I don't even say anything on Twitter, most of the time - definitely nothing that would inspire them to add me) and there is a lot of bot / troll behaviour in general.

Think Elon has to do something to rein it in but asking for more money (there's already a fee if you want to be a blue tick or view more than a certain number of Tweets) makes me wonder if it's yet another way of monetising Twitter. I'm sure I read somewhere that it's haemorrhaging money and it wasn't the cash cow Musk thought it would be? (My assumption could be wrong, of course).
    Your assumption is definitely right. Honestly I'm not sure he cares though, he bought a club that he's the king of and that's all that matters. It's worth a fraction of what he paid, especially since he invited all the previously banned people back... for some reason advertisers don't want their products popping up next to all the weird conspiracy theorists and white nationalists
    I think Elon needs to lay off the weed
    Are the bean counters of HUKD keeping an eye on events?
    You are not doing a bad job either 🙋
    X I don't mind because I don't use it. On a tangent, hope WhatsApp doesn't go the same way regarding charging.
    Author
    Fair! Yeah, whatsapp maybe the one, people will be concerned about.
    I'm not really a fan of being charged to use Twitter (I refuse to call it "X"), hopefully it will only apply to new users. Saying that I have been victim to hate and impersonation accounts in the past targeting myself in a specific community, I hope this will stop that but I doubt it to be honest
    Author
    I still call it Twitter, like many others, but need to be 'in with the cool, kids' right?

Sorry you've gone through hate, also hope it will stop!
    Left long ago for Mastodon.
    This thread is like the worst of Twitter...
    It only adds up to a total fee of £3 - £1 a month for 3 months- for new users.

I've been on Twitter for 15 years so I don't need to pay- but would I be willing to pay £3 to carry on using it? Sure I would, it's well worth it for the amount of entertainment and great content I get from it. (edited)
    Would it be 💲3 per month?
    If its only $1 as in the Far East trial and it reduces the bots, definitely yes.
    It's easy to detect bots, cos they won't be using the phone app and won't have verified as human in a browser I e it's just pure API calls. So that part is bull .

I only use it to read the posts if channels I follow (not a "feed"/ algorithm. So I'll just go to whatever free platform they all go to.
    Wouldn't pay a penny to use Twitter (Hate X). Some people couldn't do without social media so I can see how some would pay.
's avatar