Posted 6 November 2021

1st party vs 3rd party phone contracts

Can some please help me understand how these work.

Say going to vodaphone directly against a similar deal from say mobiles direct they are miles more expensive but for what reason?

Is it data speeds, benefits or am I missing something completely?

Why would anyone use the main carrier instead of a 3rd party?
Community Updates
New Comment

30 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    jameshothothot06/11/2021 22:16

good point. the example above was virgin which used to be a piggy back …good point. the example above was virgin which used to be a piggy back MVNO though now a bit confusing given their merger with o2? but that's not the same as going to O2 via uswitch

The OP is asking about the differences between going to Vodafone directly and going to Vodafone via an intermediary like AffordableMobiles.

It's exactly the same SIM with exactly the same network and exactly the same devices, just the price is different.

Comparing EE to Virgin however is comparing apples and oranges, vs apples and apples
    Is this about a third party retailer or a MVNO? Nothing changes with the former but throttling / traffic control is possible with the latter.
    I don't think it makes much service. Trying to remember when I last used uSwitch but they end up sending you to the original website later on so your relationship if things go wrong is still with O2 or EE etc. You can haggle the shops down as they know the other deals. Presume same if you go on chat or phone sales but my last broadband and phone deal was me popping into EE shpp and then the renewal deal was me chatting to customer services when it expired and I told them Vodafone had X deal and EE offered me Y.

It is really splitting the market. They pay for expensive adverts. So if someone goes direct to them they are assumed to be less price sensitive than someone who goes on price comparison sites.
    You do get better speeds going direct .
    They throttle the 3rd party speeds . You see it in the T&Cs , some speeds as low as 10mbps .
    Where my direct speed with EE 320mbps which is faster than my Virgin broadband.
    Also be careful with roaming with 3rd party .
    I pay £20 a month sim only for unlimited everything direct with EE .
    I use my iPhone as my house router and have my 4K TVs connected plus a lot more and I use over 2500 GB of data every month as streaming 4K uses a lot and my PS4 . (edited)
    45994876-8k8Mn.jpg
    That’s just the last 5 days
    adam.mt06/11/2021 10:35

You sure? A virtual operator using their service, sure (BT …You sure? A virtual operator using their service, sure (BT Mobile, PlusNet, Virgin 4G) but an EE SIM/contract brought through a retailer different to an EE shop/website/phone??

No, the virtual operators are different but main companies are the same just different commissions and they can also buy in the phones and combine them into different packages cheaper.
    markeas06/11/2021 12:48

anyone who has purchased from a third party able to do a speed test?

Never had any difference between third party and going direct at Vodafone, EE, or Three.

It's pointless, unless they're in exactly the same location as you with the exact same setup of router or phone etc it will always be a different result. (edited)
    yozzman123406/11/2021 21:54

Nope they are very similar.

You've just rattled off a list consisting solely of MVNOs and asked for folks to compare to EE....
    Tom.Wilson06/11/2021 22:20

The OP is asking about the differences between going to Vodafone directly …The OP is asking about the differences between going to Vodafone directly and going to Vodafone via an intermediary like AffordableMobiles.It's exactly the same SIM with exactly the same network and exactly the same devices, just the price is different.Comparing EE to Virgin however is comparing apples and oranges, vs apples and apples

This
    yozzman123406/11/2021 09:21

You do get better speeds going direct . They throttle the 3rd party speeds …You do get better speeds going direct . They throttle the 3rd party speeds . You see it in the T&Cs , some speeds as low as 10mbps . Where my direct speed with EE 320mbps which is faster than my Virgin broadband. Also be careful with roaming with 3rd party . I pay £20 a month sim only for unlimited everything direct with EE . I use my iPhone as my house router and have my 4K TVs connected plus a lot more and I use over 2500 GB of data every month as streaming 4K uses a lot and my PS4 .

You sure?

A virtual operator using their service, sure (BT Mobile, PlusNet, Virgin 4G) but an EE SIM/contract brought through a retailer different to an EE shop/website/phone??

You sure? A virtual operator using their service, sure (BT …You sure? A virtual operator using their service, sure (BT Mobile, PlusNet, Virgin 4G) but an EE SIM/contract brought through a retailer different to an EE shop/website/phone??

Well go to uswitch and look at the 3rd party deals and it shows you the internet speeds cap .

45995294_1.jpg

They have lower speed caps as you can see . This is a Virgin sim only (edited)
    yozzman123406/11/2021 10:43

[Image] They have lower speed caps as you can see . This is a Virgin sim …[Image] They have lower speed caps as you can see . This is a Virgin sim only

So, exactly what I said then? EE SIM from a retailer is identical to direct from EE (edited)
    adam.mt06/11/2021 10:45

So, exactly what I said then? EE SIM from a retailer is …So, exactly what I said then? EE SIM from a retailer is identical to direct from EE

Nope direct has no caps and gets speeds of over 300mbps
    yozzman123406/11/2021 10:47

Nope direct has no caps and gets speeds of over 300mbps

Any evidence for that?
    adam.mt06/11/2021 10:48

Any evidence for that?

Yes the picture I just posted lol !!!!!! It tells you a speed cap
    yozzman123406/11/2021 10:49

Ok. Sorry, didn't realise English isn't your first language. (edited)
    adam.mt06/11/2021 10:51

Ok. Sorry, didn't realise English isn't your first language.

Correct it’s my 3rd language
    Author
    bozo00706/11/2021 10:47

Is this about a third party retailer or a MVNO? Nothing changes with the …Is this about a third party retailer or a MVNO? Nothing changes with the former but throttling / traffic control is possible with the latter.

So basically it sounds like it comes down to speeds?

Via a 3rd party with Vodaphone you get a ‘basics’ package which I can’t find much detail on speed wise.

I’m not sure on other networks though :/
    yozzman123406/11/2021 10:49

No it tells you an average speed, not the max speed
    Mark_Hickman06/11/2021 12:10

No it tells you an average speed, not the max speed

Gotcha average.
    Well they always exaggerate the average speeds to look better . Just like talk talk and sky broadband do .
    You 100% get far better speeds going direct here’s mine today , it’s normally between 200 and 350 mbps .
    And 7-20 upload.

45996145_1.jpg (edited)
    Author
    Cheaper as they just have a warehouse and a website, 1st party have to subsidise stores , staff , network infrastructure , advertising etc ..
    Author
    Just for my own piece of mind I rang vodaphone today and probably got told a bunch of lies but apparently they do not throttle speeds on the network to direct 3rd party companies. (Buying a vodaphone contract not idmobile etc)

It’s pointless unless you have the 2 , testing in the same location together .
    But the third party state average speeds and caps . Direct don’t . Also some third party European roaming is not included.
    Advantage of third party is cheaper . Advantage for me direct is getting 200-350 mbps internet speeds for gaming and 4K streaming and it’s truely unlimited.
    Also as I have stuck with EE I get discounts so it’s just as cheap as third party anyway (edited)
    45999170-UW35W.jpg
    Just done a quick test again and hitting 300 mbps .
    Can anyone on Virgin , smarty , ID mobile , ect get them speeds . Or any using a 3rd party basics plan .
    Not boasting , actually looking for a cheap third party plan for the dad who still streams a lot .
    yozzman123406/11/2021 19:30

[Image] Just done a quick test again and hitting 300 mbps . Can anyone on …[Image] Just done a quick test again and hitting 300 mbps . Can anyone on Virgin , smarty , ID mobile , ect get them speeds . Or any using a 3rd party basics plan . Not boasting , actually looking for a cheap third party plan for the dad who still streams a lot .

You seem to be confusing MVNOs with third party deals......
    Tom.Wilson06/11/2021 21:53

You seem to be confusing MVNOs with third party deals......

Nope they are very similar.
    Tom.Wilson06/11/2021 22:01

You've just rattled off a list consisting solely of MVNOs and asked for …You've just rattled off a list consisting solely of MVNOs and asked for folks to compare to EE....

good point. the example above was virgin which used to be a piggy back MVNO though now a bit confusing given their merger with o2? but that's not the same as going to O2 via uswitch
's avatar