Posted 29 December 2023

33 in waist club, Anyone else out there?

Hi,
I have suffered improperly fitting trousers for years due to my 33 in waist. Don't understand why makers think waists go up in 2 inches. It's a hit and trial every time with 32 and 34 in, and it's still always a bad compromise.
Anyone else in the same situation and found a better solution?
Community Updates
New Comment

28 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I'm a 35 and always thought I had to choose 34 or 36 until I looked last year at jeans on Amazon. You can filter by waist size (all sizes in 1 inch increments) and there is more out there than you think at your waist size - go look!
    Yeah, many brands selling on Amazon offer 33" waist trousers - Hackett definitely do because I've bought boyf a few pairs. There's more on there than you'd think!
    M&S is your friend: often get my partner 33W / 34L trousers from there.

Used to love Gap but there's hardly any stores left! Might be worth looking on ebay as well.

My problem with trousers (though in recent years it's getting easier) was finding them long enough for me! (I am around a 35" inside leg). (edited)
    Gap and Banana Republic are online only for the last few years. But they do offer click & collect through partners.
    Buy a belt
    I feel you pain, but I powered through and now 34" fits well
    Loose/put on a bit of weight job done
    that is what a belt is for. my husband buys his trousers from M&S with the hidden elastic waist band so it fit perfectly

you could also learn to do clothes alteration or take it to the dry cleaners where they can do the alterations for you.
    Aren’t most dress trousers available in 33” waist, I’m 33”, well was, right now I’m a 34” so all my smart trousers are now a tight fit.

I have most problems with casuals or jeans, some 32” chinos for example are way too big and some 34” are too tight! No idea why 32” isn’t really 32”!
    Agree, part of a control mechanism for you be/behave the way "they" want you to.

My way or the highway.

M&S used to have those many moons ago, but have done away with that too.
    So the Illuminati are controlling us one pair of chinos at a time then?
    I wonder what the sizing on silver foil hats is?
    I'm 34W and can only fit in 36W!
    I also self identify as a 34W but have to wear 36W
    Try being 28 inch waist with 28 inch leg. Fed up of getting trousers turned up. I sympathise and would sy try different stores, but even clothes from same manufacturer/brand differ. When I was a 29 waist, ended up just buying 30 inch and tightening my belt. I think you can buy some contraption that acts like a waist equivalent of an insole but it's a pain.
    Levis do 33" jeans and chinos
    Try being a short legged woman very little shops cater for small women I'm 5ft 3 so I'm not tall but nor am I the shortest and I struggle to get trousers especially jeans to fit
    Gap also does the odd numbered sizes (width)... Pity the outlet shops aren't still open as I used to get cheap work trousers there.
    The problem is that it is expensive to maintain inventory for every size increment; it is doable in the US because volume sales there are a lot higher. Belts are supposed to solve the problem, hence manufacturers get away with it. Shoes don't have an equivalent solution hence the availability in half sizes.
    Uniqlo do alternations to cope with leg length:
    uniqlo.com/uk/…tml

And all their trousers seem to have elasticated waists.
    Jeanscene also do free length alterations.
    It's an easy job to take in a waist band an inch !
    Places like Slaters do it for free.
    I noticed some g star jeans I got eons ago but forgot about were 33, and decent suits you can usually get inch increments.

Oh and I suppose if you're really fussy you could get a tailor to take some in.

Lastly, some suits have side adjusters, also good, big they can slip.

Perhaps adult clothes shluld be like kids with those inside button side adjuster thingies - they're great!
    Author
    Thanks everyone for the pointers. Belt is not a solution for me as it scrunches up an ugly small loop somewhere on waist so all the suggestions (Amazon, banana republic, gap, next) are welcome suggestions. Seems like more choices exist than I thought.
's avatar