Posted 27 November 2021

Aliexpress won't ship to UK - how do I get around it?

I'm looking to buy an electrical item costing £350 from Aliexpress but they won't ship to the UK.

It ships from France/ Spain or Belgium and they post to mainland Europe and to Ireland.

If I have one posted to a friend in Ireland or France am I going to get stung for massive import tax?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    They usually include everything, similar to Amazon. If you post it to an address within Europe and it ships from Europe, then tax is still included. If it is shipped to UK, they will remove Europe VAT, then add any Customs duty to the price if applicable, then add the UK VAT to it (should be a minor difference as VAT rates are quite similar across the EU and UK). Plus shipping costs on the pre Customs price. (edited)
    No VAT will be removed for the second shipping from a private person. You'l end up with the import fees to the EU from Alixpress + import fees from the EU to the UK
    deleted145713127/11/2021 11:12

No VAT will be removed for the second shipping from a private person. You'l …No VAT will be removed for the second shipping from a private person. You'l end up with the import fees to the EU from Alixpress + import fees from the EU to the UK

I assumed OP will find a way to pick it up.
    Have you messaged the seller to ask? In some cases the seller block a country either by mistake or if he/she has had problems with prior orders so worth asking to see what they say.
    Author
    IAmATeaf27/11/2021 21:33

Have you messaged the seller to ask? In some cases the seller block a …Have you messaged the seller to ask? In some cases the seller block a country either by mistake or if he/she has had problems with prior orders so worth asking to see what they say.

Thanks, it seems that every seller refuses to sell the item to the UK now so it isn't an isolated incident.
    If you know anybody in the North of Ireland can you get it sent there? While the rest of the UK has left the EU the North of Ireland is still in the customs Union. They can also trade freely with the rest of the UK. Would that work?
    What item is it?
's avatar