Posted 5 March 2024

Apple tree recommendations

I want to put an apple tree in my garden and wondered if anyone could give me some advice and recommendations please. I don’t have any other apple trees so needs to be self pollinating.
Maximum height would be about 8 ft. Needs to be something that’s easy to look after and has sweet apples on it.
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Most apples are fairly easy to look after year on year.
    I like discovery but if you like a golden delicious type apple then greensleeves is reliable and self fertilising.
    As ever, RHS all over it here

rhs.org.uk/fru…ars
    Odd fact here....If you have 5 fruit trees in your garden you can actually class it as an Orchard
    Author
    With the size of my garden if I put 5 trees in it I think it would be called a forest. It’s not very big
    A novice and just getting into gardening (in a mostly paved back garden - bought braeburn apple, conference pear and a victoria plum dwarf tree as part of an offer and also as apparently they are self polinating. I did get two apples and two pears off in the first year (a lot of them dropped unfortunately dropped due to the high winds in our area). I have them in pots and not five so not quite an orchard yet and they seem happy enough - more blossom this year so ever hopeful, lets hope I get some plums this year!

aargh should have said self fertile! (edited)
's avatar