Posted 3 January 2024

Audi A4 Electric Fault(s)

Hi. I hope any Audi owners could help me.

I own a 2012 Audi A4 diesel. On Xmas eve, I turned the car over, engine came on, electrics came on etc but 'parking brake malfunction' appeared on the dashboard computer along with other dashboard lights such as ESP, ABS, glow plug symbol and an exclamation mark. The electric handbrake wasn't releasing and steering seemed to be really stiff.
I turned the car off, disconnected the battery for a few hours, reconnected it and car started up as normal only with the engine light lighting up (as suspected after disconnecting the battery).

I was driving around as normal for a few days until 7 days later the exact same warning lights came up again only disconnecting and reconnecting the battery wasn't solving anything. So I've left the car for around 5 days and after getting someone to plug a diagnostic machine in, the car is working as normal with no codes showing up.

Has anyone had this issue? Google isn't really my friend with this one.

Cheers
Community Updates
New Comment

15 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    How old is the battery?
    Author
    I'm guessing 11 years old. I've never changed it in the 4.5 years I've had the car
    Is your problem anything like this Youtube video?

Seems to be similar age vehicle B8 Diesel and the finger is pointing at a relay in his solution text under the video....although someone else mentions a fuse in the comments....

youtube.com/wat…Uxk
    Car needs to go on a scanner, vcds or the like.
    Author
    Had someone bring me a diagnostic machine. Plugged it but but because I disconnected battery and reconnected it, a load of engine codes came up
    Battery had similar faults on my A4 , swapped the battery out and was all good, could be the same, remember if it's happened once it will come back again
    Author
    Tried battery myself using a multimeter and it read 12.4 volts
's avatar