Posted 20 December 2023

Avoid water meter

Any advice on how to refuse a water meter being installed on a newly-purchased property?
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Just guessing here, but you should be able to refuse permission for them to place it on (or access) your property. This means that if the pavement is too tricky they might not bother.
    Just cut you off to instead
    My water bill went down 75% when we had a meter. That's 4 people in a 3 bed semi. I'd deffo recommend one
    Number of people living in the house will determine wether a water meter is a good idea or not, for example we are on a water meter, 3 of us all have power showers each day, washing machine going and we pay approx £44 a month, without water meter is a lot more than that, friend of mine lives on his own and was paying an eye watering £67 a month for water, told him to get a water meter pronto and he now pays £12 a month. He was gutted he had left it for so long to change.
    I believe in England if your supplier is one of the following: Affinity Water, Anglian Water, Essex and Suffolk Water, South East Water, Southern Water, Sutton and East Surrey Water and Thames Water, you can't refuse as you're in "an area of water stress".
    In Northern Ireland they are still in talks about introducing water meters (you could say it's in the pipeline!) - currently it's part of our local rates bill...
    I’m glad my house has meter as my previous didn’t and the bill was £700 annually which is a lot. This house is council tax D so I would have to pay more but luckily it’s meter so it’s cheaper

Obviously depends on usage
    New build or just newly purchased by you? If it’s the former, you have no chance as most if not all new builds now have meters, if the latter you can get one installed and then go back to non metered within a year depending on supplier.

Why don’t you want a meter installed?
    We have our own water but have had metered water prior and I have to say being down in the South West it was cheaper than having non metered water. South West Water at the time had the highest water rates in the UK.
    From OfWat

As said, many water companies have been given the legal right to install a water meter. You can only say No if the water company can only recommend but not enforce. (edited)
    Our bill went down 60% when we had a water meter fitted. That was for just 3 of us living in a 4 bed. For a big family they are not so good but do encourage you not to waste water.
    I'm on the other side, moved into a place without a water meter, water company wanted £90 a month, previous place with a meter we were using £25 a month. Asked them to install and they came out and they said they couldn't install one so reduced my price to £60 a month. Still more than I'd like.
    as far as i am aware, new meters need to be installed when a property is built or purchased, so i think you are stuffed.

energylivenews.com/202…rs/ (edited)
    I know someone who moved into a new build and his water meter could not be found; he eventually found it under some paving stones.

He covered it up again as the company that built the property has to pay, I am told.
    is that because the builders were responsible for installing a water meter?
    Water stressed areas, can't be that water stressed When building new blocks on every square inch.
's avatar