Posted 8 May 2022

Best way to return laptop to Amazon

wondering which service to use so laptop is fully insured but Amazon say they will only refund £4.5 postage costs so hoping to keep costs down too.

new laptop but sound cuts out when you press lightly to the right of trackpad

thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

22 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    From past experience, they usually refund the full postage amount. You have to go through live chat and say that you are sure you want a refund and no other option. They will say to send and pay. Once the parcel has been received by Amazon, contact them again saying you've sent the item. They'll ask you to send evidence of postage and costs and they'll refund you within a couple of days. It's a bit of a long winded process, but having had a similar experience in the past, it should go smoothly using a fully insured service.
    Author
    is there any way to get them to pick up?
    What options does it give you when you initiate the return? There's usually options of Royal Mail, UPS and Amazon lockers. Do not send via hermes/evri
    Author
    in the section, how will you post your return? it states 'I'll send & pay' it says 'varies' to the right of that. there doesn't seem to be any other option
    If your returning it as its faulty, returns should be free. Its normally only if your returning because of change of mind etc that you have to pay.
    Author
    have selected, items is defective or does not work
    Phone them... Tell them it faulty and they should send a label to be printed for royal mail...... Hopefully
    Its a minefield I know, but depends a little on how long you have had the item and whether you want repair/replacement/refund
    this link might help

amazon.co.uk/gp/…tml

navigate to returns and refunds and click on links inside frequently asked questions
    Author
    delivered Tuesday. called then. got someone in india technical support couldn't understand very well. when i lightly press case near speaker, sounds cuts out. he wanted me to reset the pc ans see if it was a software problem
    Not sure if you have asked for refund or replacement.

Return for refund should be free of charge.

Personally, I would order a new one and send the faulty one back for a refund.
    This does of course depend on when your credit card payment dates are due - there is a risk that you could end up having to pay for TWO laptops on your credit card this month and then get a refund from amazon the following month.

if less than a week old, you should be able to return using a pre-paid label.

you may be able to go onto your orders, click on return status, cancel return.

Then got to your orders, click to choose a return and then your return method

If this does not work then go onto chat with them to get them to do this.

If you use royal mail then they will weigh the item before giving you a receipt of posting.

If you use hermes then you will get a postage receipt but they will not weigh it. (edited)
    An item of that value should be couriered.... Go on Amazon chat and tell them you won't accept responsibility, and to arrange collection.
    Avoid using Evri. Also, it takes a few days from the time it is delivered to the warehouse to the time it is picked up by the correct Amazon team, so don't expect an instant refund. (edited)
    Author
    i called them. they said they couldn't arrange pickup from middle England, it wasn't an option. told me to send back and if it went missing amazon would refund me which surprised me. he said they'd be responsible for transit as long as i had tracking receipt.

my next problem is i reset the laptop, a full reset, deleting all data, then i logged back in and Asus software had done some kind of backup so when i logged in it offered to restore the system to a backup that had been done without my knowledge. am a bit concerned the next person that gets it will be able to restore my data (edited)
    If it’s faulty you shouldn’t be paying anything for postage.
    Whatever you do NEVER EVER EVER EVER send via Hermes, just read the horror stories on here
    Author
    selected broken yet only option is to post it myself. will send via royal mail i guess woth £500 insurance
    There should be options on the screen when you choose to return it. Or chat to them via live chat and ask what they suggest. You shouldn't be paying if the product is faulty so ask them what method is supported.
    Author
    JamesB8309/05/2022 09:18

There should be options on the screen when you choose to return it. Or …There should be options on the screen when you choose to return it. Or chat to them via live chat and ask what they suggest. You shouldn't be paying if the product is faulty so ask them what method is supported.

I've done that. rep said no option on his screen to do it.
    Given the amount of high value Amazon returns that seem to go missing, I would take the hit and send fully insured RM Special Delivery no matter the cost, rather than deal with the headache of them getting a bag of rice or a brick returned.
    Author
    yeah I'll send it RM special delivery with £500 insurance
    tgbyhn1008/05/2022 20:33

my next problem is i reset the laptop, a full reset, deleting all data, …my next problem is i reset the laptop, a full reset, deleting all data, then i logged back in and Asus software had done some kind of backup so when i logged in it offered to restore the system to a backup that had been done without my knowledge. am a bit concerned the next person that gets it will be able to restore my data

If this was me I'd load a bootable USB and format the hard drives.
    Yep - had the same before with a faulty return to Amazon (a 55" TV): told that there's no Amazon-arranged postage possible and that I had to find a courier, return it to them, then submit courier invoice for refund (think it was £60-70 with Parcelforce, which was refunded as promised).

Good that they've told you already that Amazon will be liable for any damage or loss in transit. Back when I made the return, I spent a long time getting them to agree in writing that I wouldn't be liable for transit damage, because no courier would insure TV screens / glass.
's avatar