Posted 2 days ago

Bought a Xiaomi phone from Currys which has since developed a fault.

I bought a Xiaomi phone from Currys last November that has since developed a fault.

I contacted Currys by phone and on twitter and they have both told me to contact the manufacturer.

I have contacted xiaomi in the past about another matter and I know how bad their CS is that I would prefer to deal with Currys. Are they in the right? Or am I being fobbed off.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Standard Consumer Rights Act claim, presumably less than 6 months from receipt (just?) so onus is on the seller to show the device is not faulty.

If Currys persists in declining to offer assistance at mention of "Consumer Rights Act 2015":
    ask Currys to show its exemption to statutory CRA (observation: there is no exemption in this scenario).

Currys may be attempting to quasi-discharge its statutory obligations via any available manu warranty,
    but you can decline this route if you wish and Currys still has the obligation to show not faulty, or rectify the issue,
    although it can (attempt to) dissuade you from a Currys solution by suggesting manu solution will be far quicker - which has some credibility as Currys can be so inept when it chooses...
    It's a pity Curry's are so awful when it comes to returning faulty items it would be great if they would simply refund or replace.

Maybe you could try Xiaomi before committing to see what they say, they might have a faster turnaround, some info here.

mi.com/uk/…ty/

mi.com/glo…fy/
    what fault has the phone developed ?
    Your contract is with Currys who sold you the phone. You should take it back to them for refund, replacement, repair etc. it's up to them if they contact Xiaomi if they wish because they or their distributor sold them the phone in the first place.
    You have to identify the fault, is it a fault with the product, user error, damage due to accident etc.
    A few examples:
    1) I had a nightmare issue with dixons/ Currys years ago. Had a faulty product, they agreed to repair, after many weeks it was returned to me. The issue was never fixed, it seems that they never even touched it. This happened several times. Absolute farce.
    2) A friend bought a new pc, it worked ok for a while then it became unusable. They spent hours chatting to Currys trying to fix the issue without luck, they were advised to box it up and return it to them. They told me the problem for over half an hour and complained how useless Currys were and how bad their pc was. I fixed the issue in under a minute, the internal clock was wrong in the settings so this error caused alot of issues because clocks didn't sync so errors occured with online auctions etc. I set the clock to auto update in settings and all problems were solved.
    3) a friend bought a bike with a lifetime frame warranty, he crashed the bike and snapped the frame, he expected the bike shop/ bike manufacturer to replace the whole bike. He couldn't understand why they denied him a replacement, he thought the lifetime frame warranty covers it for everything including accidents.
    Not like Currys to act like this
    Your guarantee is with Currys. But they are notoriously bad for cs
    How did you pay? If by credit card then initiate a chargeback as they are refusing to do their contracted, and legal, duty. After all, the goods aren't fit for purpose. If it was bought in November then it should go back.
    Author
    I paid with Barclays debit card. I have applied for a credit card recently and will definitely use it more for expensive items.
    If within the last 12 months contact Currys / walk in store and insist they repair or replace.
    You need to deal with Currys, they are the supplier.

As good as their deals are, their CS is awful which is why I never buy anything except printer paper from them!
    when i bought stuff from argos, they deal with the repair for the first 6 months but after 6 months they direct you to contact the manufacturer direct.
    I think it depends on who you speak to.

I've returned a lawn mower, unboxed, to Argos after 11 months - they weren't happy but they took it and gave me a refund!

The manufacturer won't offer you a refund, you haven't paid them.
's avatar