Posted 16 May 2022

boxes for outdoor gas meters!

anybody know where we can purchase the covering boxes for gas meters?
the energy companies don't want to know, say its down to the customer!
cheers.
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Jewsons
    Helloooooo...
    I'm here t' read your meter...
    Lots of companies sell them. I need to replace mine as its a bit tatty and the previous owners seemed to paint over everything with many coats.
    The first thing I did was search for "gas meter box types" and look at the pics to see what type you have (mine was a mk1). Then search for that one eg "gas meter mk1 replacement box".

It seems, on mine at least, there is only 1 manufacturer, its a matter of different mark ups at different suppliers - I'll be looking at £50-£60. Probably a bit more than they should be priced but there you are. Also, remember you may need to cut holes for the pipes, depending on box style and where the pipes are. Also, on mine you remove the box from the backplate, you can't touch the backplate as the meter is fixed through and you can't unbolt the meter as you may blow yourself up. (edited)
    Try eBay, Facebook, Gumtree etc first to see if you can pick one up locally on the cheap.
    i bought one from ebay. loads on there.

i just needed a door as the box itself was fine. then i also bought just the pins for the door as the door fell off and hinge and it was because the pins had snapped. (edited)
    Author
    cheers, i'll be having a look at all your suggestions!
's avatar