Posted 1 day ago

Caliper carrier bolt stuck...HARD

I have a bent up old Corsa as a run around for the moment. I was in the process of changing the front brakes and the rust has fused with every bolt. I've managed to get them all unstuck apart from one which is the caliper carrier bracket. I can't buy these online, just the caliper itself. I've tried heat and drilling it out and it'll withstand 240nm of torque without a wiggle. Anyone have any wisdom?
4302828-4fFte.jpg4302828-W5FRK.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Blow torch, oxyacetylene.
    Heat, heat and more heat.
    Look up the hanger, here
    trwaftermarket.com/en/…ue/

Then search for it, most sites cross match the part number.
    Then you might find one.
    240nm is nothing when it comes to rusty bolts, have you tried an impact wrench on it or a breaker bar with a scaffold tube?
    240nm is really not a lot, get a 2 foot or bigger bar on it and you'll be able to pull much higher nm standing and pulling upwards, no way that small bolts rust will withstand a big bar.
    You've probably weakened it now though if you drilled it a lot, that wasn't a great idea really (edited)
    I go for plusgas, some good six sided sockets and a breaker bar.

Just to check, are you talking about the small bolt that is in the centre of the second picture looking all shiny and rounded over? That's not a caliper carrier bolt. That's a slide bolt that should only need 10 or so NM. The carrier bolts are usually M12 and bolt the carrier to the hub. This is what a replacement looks like;

vauxhallsuperstore.co.uk/pro…kle

If it is indeed the small one, get yourself something like this;

autodoc.co.uk/qui…e=1
    (Obviously checking it's applicable to your particular car)

Then just grind the head off the old one. (edited)
    Possibly a stupid question, if it is the slide bolt, does it need to be counter held, as if it does and you're not, it'll spin til the cows come home.
's avatar