Posted 10 August 2023

Campervan Recommendations

The 7 year warranty runs out on my Kia estate later this year and I'm considering exchanging it for a Campervan. We only purchased the estate as we regularly go camping, so thought this time we would go for a Campervan.

Keys things for us: Needs to be an everyday vehicle, cheap to run & maintain, reliable and sleeps 3 people.

Friends of ours have a T6 VW Campervan but with only around 10k to spend a T6 is way out of my budget.
So wondering if anyone can recommend alternatives for us to look at? Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    10k gets you very little. It’ll be old with a million miles and then you’d have to consider the reliability issues. Might get more for your money with a self build. 
    It a tight budget but you might find a T5 around that price that has been self converted. T4's are there but are a bit asthmatic. They are the most car like to drive. Otherwise pretty much any short wheel base van is available, but you will find older vans a bit agricultural compared to the VW. Check for rust. Have the gas installation checked over by a pro before or after purchase. Vauxhall Vivaro make a nice base for conversion and are cheap. Left field are the Japanese imports like the Mazda Bongo and the like.
    T4s are asthmatic? Not sure what you mean, can you elaborate please?
    Ive had a T4 Vamoose conversion for 10 years
    Height is going to be a key criteria if you want to use it everyday as many are close to car park barrier heights.

Check the ones you use regularly but generally sub-2m is what you're looking for.

These sorts of motorcaravans are also likely to feel cramped compared to whatever you're used to so you may want to check that your current tent will fit inside, or that it can tow your current trailer tent/caravan.
    I wanted a campervan and coincidentally met a couple of people around that time who had bought campervans, one based on a Fiat Ducato and the other an older VW split screen. Both seriously regretted the decision and found their high mile purchases bottomless money pits that were more often off the road than actually used.

When looking at the numbers I too couldn't make the numbers work as anything in an £8-10K price range has 150K miles+ and rust starting (or badly covered up. On top of this the tax on these older buses ain't cheap either. Came to the conclusion it was better value to buy a jeep and a caravan which does rach separate function better rather than an idea of the campervan dream which would quickly sour.
    Dont do it you'll regret it, some 20 year old vans with 180000 miles go for 20 mearly 10 grand and will he a never ending money pit (edited)
    get a transit van, ambulance, ice cream van .. my old friend has one, but I can’t remember what it used to be now (edited)
    Got myself a Bongo a year ago, bought with my heart and not my head. BIG mistake but lesson learned. Thankfully it didn’t cost big money and thankfully it didn’t cost big money to get it right but would I do it again, probably not. For me as a third vehicle it’s an expensive hobby to keep, especially when it’s not used for its purpose during those winter months. I love it when we’re away in it and it’s also 90% packed ready to go at short notice but I can’t help but feel either an estate with a quality large tent or a 4x4 with a roof tent may have been a better option.
's avatar