Posted 11 June 2016

can i get google maps to avoid congestion charge zones

i was driving back from north london to south london when my mercedes navigation charge landed me in congestion charge zone. Unfortunately I left my tomtom in my other car so I thought I'd use google maps on android phone. it was still the same kept taking me into charge zones. It was a nightmare. I ended up having to drive to aldgate and crossing via tower bridge after getting some directions.

If i look at google maps on internet it knows where charge zone is. so is there a way of telling it to avoid these zones?
Community Updates
The Congestion Charge applies in certain areas in London. Every day from 7 am to 10 pm you have to pay the fee if you want to drive in central London. You can either choose to pay the Congestion Charge or you can attempt to plan a route that avoids the congestion charge.

50974-15UEM.jpg
How to avoid congestion charge on Google Maps
Google Maps offers a user-created Google Maps Congestion Zone, so when you’re planning your route you can check whether you will go into the Congestion Zone and if you will have to pay the Congestion Charge.

Does Google Maps avoid the Congestion Charge? Yes, when planning a journey in London all you have to do is look for the warning of “This route has tolls”. So in short, yes, there is an option to avoid the Congestion Charge in Google Maps. It isn’t a specified option but instead comes under the category of “Tolls”.

As of August 2021, Google Maps announced that it will notify drivers when their route will take them through an area that has emission or congestion charges. For drivers in London, this applies to London's Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ), which covers most of central London. This zone currently covers the Congestion Zone and there are plans to expand it.

So if you’re wondering, is ULEZ the same as the Congestion Zone? Yes, but the ULEZ is set to cover more of London in the coming years.

Therefore, if your Google Maps journey takes you through the Congestions Charge or ULEZ zones that incur fees, you will be shown a warning labelled “Tolls” then you can choose an alternative route.

However, some regular Google Maps users have reported recurring issues when using the “Avoid Tolls” setting on Google Maps as it has guided them into the Congestion Zone. Google Maps isn’t the most reliable avoid congestion route planner. Users should double-check the Congestion and ULEZ zones if they plan to use the “Avoid Tolls” option so they don’t get led into the zones unknowingly.

50974-skYAq.jpg
Is there another avoid congestion charge route planner?

If you’re looking for a route planner to avoid Congestion Charge that isn’t Google Maps, try the route planning app called Waze.

In the app, simply enable the “Avoid Tolls” option and the app should route you around the Congestion Charge. But again double-check your route doesn’t take you through the Zone.
New Comment

17 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    check for avoid tolls setting
    Under route options, tick avoid toll roads. Won't take you through congestion zones
    could you add like avoid this area like you can for road works?
    Try Waze, it handled Durham congestion charges well.
    I used to use Google maps until someone recommend Waze, love it especially the community reporting (speed cameras etc) and love traffic.
    Waze is great for real time traffic, cameras, etc. And it is owned by Google!
    I use Google Maps a lot, but also highly recommend Waze too. An immediate benefit of Waze is it has speed cameras.
    Author
    bozo007

Waze is great for real time traffic, cameras, etc. And it is owned by … Waze is great for real time traffic, cameras, etc. And it is owned by Google!

something I didnt know. wouldn't Google rather improve their own Google maps with these features?
    Paddy_o_furniture

Try Waze, it handled Durham congestion charges well. I used to use Google … Try Waze, it handled Durham congestion charges well. I used to use Google maps until someone recommend Waze, love it especially the community reporting (speed cameras etc) and love traffic.

Durham only has 1 congestion charge and that's if you want to drive up to the cathedral and it is £2. Don't see how it eases congestion as not many people drive up there anyway. (Stealth taxes Grrr)
    Author
    Aiden1512

Under route options, tick avoid toll roads. Won't take you through … Under route options, tick avoid toll roads. Won't take you through congestion zones

Is this for Google maps or waze?
    I used waze originally but found it made my phone heat up a lot. Have changed to using Here and gmaps.

Not sure if others found the same issue with waze app.
    montana78

Is this for Google maps or waze?

Google maps
    montana78

i was driving back from north london to south london when my … i was driving back from north london to south london when my mercedes navigation charge landed me in congestion charge zone. Unfortunately I left my tomtom in my other car so I thought I'd use google maps on android phone. it was still the same kept taking me into charge zones. It was a nightmare. I ended up having to drive to aldgate and crossing via tower bridge after getting some directions.If i look at google maps on internet it knows where charge zone is. so is there a way of telling it to avoid these zones?

termite

It is annoying that you can't get Google Maps to avoid tolls by default. … It is annoying that you can't get Google Maps to avoid tolls by default. If you forget to amend it you will be directed down a chargeable route that may only save you 30 seconds in time.

Added to that, I wish there was an option to bias it towards using the most simple route rather than the absolute fastest. Tired of it making me try to squeeze down a vast sequence of tiny roads with cars parked on both sides, when it would only take a couple minutes more staying on the main roads.
    Waze took me to a long route once unnecessarily! It is good for driving in the city, google maps is better for intercity travelling through motorways.
    (edited)
    sussexroyal02/04/2017 21:34

Comment deleted

while its off by default you only have to change it once for the setting to stick and all future directions will avoid tolls unless you change it again
    deleted24841511/06/2016 20:57

something I didnt know. wouldn't Google rather improve their own Google …something I didnt know. wouldn't Google rather improve their own Google maps with these features?

they have thats why they purchased it but since its a popular app they left it as is - could also be part of the sale agreement taht the app/service is to continue
    possibly something to do with competition rules with google being a major player (edited)
    EN1GMA12/06/2016 02:47

I used waze originally but found it made my phone heat up a lot. Have …I used waze originally but found it made my phone heat up a lot. Have changed to using Here and gmaps. Not sure if others found the same issue with waze app.

I found this as well. After reaching my destination and putting phone in my pocket it would get really hot just by having the app still on.
's avatar