Posted 19 minutes ago

Can now get Fibre To The Premise (FTTP), what is involved?

Can now get FTTP and I'm thinking of getting it as it's cheaper and faster than what I'm paying just now with BT 80/20 £35 give or take. So the options are either Virgin or another Openreach network (BT,SKY etc).

The estate I live in is fairly new, built around 2009 with my house 2011 - 2012, I have seen Virgin and Sky running lines underground along what I assume is phone lines andI've seen them installing B/B on my way to work and looks like no digging was involved but my driveway is bigger than anyone else in the esrate as it serves 2 houses and the BT socket is outside the house.

Now would there be any digging to the sockets outside the house with either Virgin or openreach and this is the important question. We had a media wall built recently and the phone socket in within the media wall, will there be any difference to the socket (size wise) or wiring, although it is behind a door but you wouldn't see it but knowing my wife (or any women) they would know.

Cheers guys.
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you get full fibre, there will be a whole new line run into your home. This includes a new network terminal to replace the wall socket and this must be powered by electricity inside your home.

You'd have to take a look to see if you have ducting from the property line to your home already. Most don't. So you'd have to have a cable running along a wall if you have one around your driveway, otherwise the ground would have to be dug to run the cable beneath it.

Openreach and Virgin use different cables that may come from different points in the street. One may have the ability to run the cable in with less disruption or destructive installation work than the other.
    If it is like my Toob connection, they'll connect the home to the box (mine was slung over the road using the old BT pole and wire). There will be a new box installed to the outside. A hole drilled through, and a small modem box on the inside which then connects to the router via Ethernet cable.
    You need a power outlet for the modem, and it's not a long wire. (edited)
    I had mine done a few weeks ago - there was a new telegraph pole put up a few months ago, so I have a line from there to the top of the house, then a cable down to ground(ish) level where there's a box attached to the wall. I then have a cable running round the outside of the house to where they put the cable in to the living room which is where the network terminal (ONT) is and is plugged in to the mains.

As for internally, the ONT connect to your router by a standard network cable, so you then have a choice as to where you sit it - I took the chance to move the router to be nearer the centre of the house.

(BTW, it depends on the installer - we kind of had a choice as the guy from Sky asked where we wanted it. A neighbour had their install the same day as ours, and they have the ONT in the upstairs back bedroom, and they got no choice, and weren't thrilled by that)

(Another thing - Virgin are apparently looking at sharing infrastructure with Openreach outside their cable network areas - I had a chat with a guy a few months back who was surveying the new Openreach installs because of it)
's avatar