Posted 18 hours ago

Cheap USB WiFi dongle suggestion

Anyone ca suggest a cheap (small) dongle to speed up old computer WiFi speed? Internal Wifi gives up to 150Mbps, but would like to maximise available speed (500Mbps). Which cheap one really give that speed in practise? I bought one says 1300Mbps, but gives around 180Mbps at most.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Topping out at 180Mbps on a 1300Mbps-rated device may imply 2.4GHz only,
    but assuming you've performed usual checks involving both 2.4 & 5GHz networks, distance, antenna, obstacles, channel congestion, appliance interference, etc:

no need to spend more than £5.99 fulfilled Amazon:
    1300Mbps-rated RT 8812BU with benefit of 2 x ext antennae; excitable reviewers
    B0CSDF6FMB
    and
    B0CSCWX1LV

£6.99 slightly more discreet 600Mbps
    B09TKV9559

£8.49 variation on a theme inc bluetooth; 1300Mbps-rated RT 8822BU
    HUKD-friendly seller / URL
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…3M/

but if the existing "internal wifi" is a self-contained PCIe card consider swapping it for £14 dual-ant Tenda-branded AC1200 alternative shifted directly by Amazon:
    amazon.co.uk/dp/…ZB/
    Author
    Thank you so much. The one I bought supposed to have the same RT8812BU chip, any way to confirm that it really run on 5GHz and not just 2.4G?
    If it's not the settings, I think I will give the one with 8822BU chip a go, thanks
    My day-to-day laptop is actually fairly dated, about 5 years old, doesn't make much sense to change the internal card.

Some would suggest changing a laptop's internal card may be the best option - assuming the existing card is both low-spec and easily accessible.
    Multiple reasons including no IO restrictions, less prone to comms / bus issues, zero chance of "knock" damage to the card and / or laptop USB port, etc

Check accessibility to your existing card & its physical size.
    Random example common half-height 1200Mbps-rated wifi+bluetooth internal card is typically £6+ fulfilled Amazon:
    keepa.com/
    Author
    Thank you AndyRoyd, I will have a look tonight to see if this is an option .
    How fast it your broadband? 500Mbps?

What dongle do you have now?

I just buy TPs (edited)
    Author
    TP? You meant TP-Link? Any particular model?
    I assume the USB port you have on the computer would limit any increase in speed anyway! Not sure what the maximum speed would be, but worth while checking that out before you spend any money (edited)
    The fastest USB ports on computers up to about a decade old are capable of around 2000Mbps so unless it's a really old machine that's not likely to be the limitation.
    I flip pcs and tend to buy the cheapest Amazon one that has.. usb 3... More modern and typically faster

And at least an aerial if not two. They tend to be better and less prone to overheating than the really small ones.

I never found much difference in maxing out my 70aMb EE download.

Also buy one that doesn't require a driver disk. And as above 2.4 and 5ghz

But some cheap small ones have over heated

I also use fakespot plug in for Amazon and also review meta website and so filter anything that isn't approved on there (edited)
    Author
    My day-to-day laptop is actually fairly dated, about 5 years old, doesn't make much sense to change the internal card. But would it be too old? It does not even have USB3 ports.
    You mentioned that I shouldn't buy one with driver disk, why? Purely for convenience? Could you explain.
    No brand wifi 6 AX1800 usb adaptor is only £13 - 15
    Author
    They seems not that expensive. However I bought one (Fenvi) says 1300 max, 'work' on both 2.4G and 5G but I don't really get over 200Mbps. Don't really want to waste money if they don't actually work. Any experience on the one you mentioned?
's avatar