Posted 23 hours ago

Confusion re -news of passport expire dates ....Help please

Can I ask for clarification re Passport confusion re expire dates ?? My passport was issued 1/4/18 expires 1/6/28 ....Going to Turkey 12/4/24 am I ok for this trip ?

I assume issues will be from 2028 when passport will officially expire 1/4/28 Thank You
Community Updates
New Comment

29 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Without checking, I assumed you needed to have at least 6 months left on entry to your destination
    That's what the people being turned away thought. It's the issue date that is causing the problem.
    A lot of the replies on here seems like they might not have seen the news lately. UK traveller(s) were turned away from boarding their flight to EU, the reason being their passport issue date was over 10 years.

Basically people who haven't renewed their passport in the past 10 years will in for a shock (won't be allowed to travel), if don't sort it before their EU holiday.

You should make sure that your passport meets the following rules:

The passport issue date is less than 10 years before day of arrival in the EU
    The passport expiry date is at least three months after intended day of departure from EU (edited)
    Didn't know about this at all
    If you're confused when it's got 4 years left to go, heaven help you when it's due to expire
    Why would it be an issue if it has 4 years left?
    This ^
    Yes you will be fine as you've got 4 years left on the passport
    What had you been going to do if everyone said it wasn't ok?
    Word of advice in the future, check your passport before booking a holiday or thinking about dates, no-one will refund you any money if you didn't check you had the correct in date travel documents required for your choosen destination.
    Judging by this question, do you know you should have travel insurance for a holiday as well? (edited)
    It's mental some of the questions people come on here to ask. The discussion forum is definitely the best bit of this site these days. Pity more people don't use it, would be even better (edited)
    I'm worried if this is serious
    And this ^

I'm just worried.... (edited)
    Are you planning to stay 4 years?
    lol
    You have answered your own question
    When you’re over 16 you get a 10 year passport
    Also the recent news (which isn't really recent, but I guess back in the news as the holiday season starts to ramp up) is relating to EU travel.

Turkey isn't in the EU so the news stories you've read over the past week don't apply.

The GOV.UK site has all the info you need for travelling abroad.
    gov.uk/for…nts
    The mind boggles sometimes!
    You're fine.
    No they’re not!
    I'm assuming that what you really want advice on is the issue date, not the expiry date as you've stated, and the issue is your passport has more than ten years on it. As far as I know, this is only a problem in the EU, and Turkey isn't in the EU
    Guessing this was an april fools post?
's avatar