Posted 28 December 2023

Connecting laptop with resolution 1366x768 to 1920x1080 monitor

Hi, I'm setting up my desk and planning to connect my old 15" VA laptop with 1366x768 resolution to a 21" or 24" (1920x1080) IPS monitor using hdmi cable and have wireless keyboard.

It will be the main monitor and I'll be using for work only spreadsheets documents etc. No movies or games.

Is this feasible considering the monitor resolution? What are the pros and cons of connecting a low to a high resolution. Anything I should be aware of?

I will probably upgrade my laptop in a year or buy a desk computer but keep this monitor.

Cheers
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Thanks aLV42!

The 1366x768 is the maximum resolution on the laptop and it has Windows 10.

I'm going to mirror it. Hopefully I can close the laptop lid and have the monitor screen on only as the main screen.

The external monitor is sold as full HD 1920x1080 display. I'll research to find out if it's able to display a 1366x768 resolution image.

My main concern is the quality of the icons, images, how the program will look on the external monitor. Ta
    In this case, you can set the settings so that only the second screen (monitor) is displayed, where you can keep it at the 1080p native resolution. This will disable the laptop screen, but as you will have the lid closed, you're fine.
    If you disconnect the HDMI cable, the laptop screen will come back on.

Using a lower resolution on your monitor will look terrible (edited)
    Computers generally have no problem driving multiple screens of different resolution - whether one of those screens is built into the computer's case is irrelevent.

Generally the only time it's a problem is when you want to do an exact mirroring, because different resolutions obviously involve some sort of scaling. In this scenario where the built in screen is hidden you'd normally just have the other screen as the main display when it was connected rather than mirroring them.

1920x1080 is not a high resolution and has been well supported on computers since approximately the mid-2000s so unless your laptop is very old that won't be an issue. It's likely the maximum resolution 1366x768 line on the specs is talking about the internal screen's capabilities, not the video output.

There has been the occasional exception, but increasingly rare in recent years and Windows 10 and a named LCD type suggest this laptop isn't much more than a decade old at most.
    Shouldn't be a problem, I do this with two old laptops connected to two separate QHD monitors. Laptops are kept with the lids shut and neither can display 2560x1440 on their built in screens, I think one is 1920x1080 and the other 1600x900.
    It depends - some laptops can output a higher resolution that their built in screen can support.
    Are you going to extend the display or mirror it?
    If you choose to mirror it (the same display appears on both screens) then your external monitor will need to support 1366x768 resolution. A 1920x1080 display will probably be able to display a 1366x768 resolution image and you can use Windows features to tweak the display (font size).
    If you choose to extend the display if your laptop supports it you may find that you can keep the laptop screen running at 1366x768 resolution and the external monitor at 1920x1080.

If you are running Windows 10 or 11 you should not need to install any additional drivers and can use the builtin features to tweak the displays
    Its the games / hi res video bit that would be the concern, if that was your thing....
    The laptops screen res is irrelevant to the external monitor. It will happily do each screen at a different res and I'd be shocked if it couldn't do 1920x1080 to the monitor fine, I've never seen a laptop that couldn't over HDMI, although depending on what you're trying to watch/play it may not do it smoothly depending on the laptop specs (but browsing, general use should be fine). (edited)
    yes 1366 x 768 is your DISPLAY's max resolution not your laptop's max resolution if the manufacturer put in a better screen with it or you go external

if you MIRROR the display then your monitor will be scaled up from 1366 x 768 but if you EXTEND the display then they both have different resolutions

or you can just send the display to the monitor (edited)
    I use a nearly decade-old Windows tablet with a lower res screen even than your laptop connected to a much larger TV and it outputs a decent resolution to the TV just fine. Mirroring is a BAD idea. If you select the monitor as the main display, Windows will automatically select the best possible output.
    Author
    Thanks! I'll go ahead and purchase the monitor
    Author
    Thanks everyone again. I got the new monitor and just thought about giving you an update. Just to confirm the new external monitor worked well and the resolution is perfect as the main monitor. So much better to work with a bigger screen. Cheers!
's avatar