Posted 3 days ago

Consumer advice

Hi Oracles,

Looking for some advice on a product I bought.

I bought the 322GW full package Dash cam from Next base; the main features
for me was parking mode whilst the engine is off. You can either power it via USB port or have it hardwired. I obviously took the easy road and bought the package where you plug it into the USB port.

Anyways, the Sd card corrupted within 3 weeks and it started turning itself on and off.

NextBase have refused to exchange the product and have basically said that I have broke it myself. They explained that if I read the entire user manual I would have see that you can’t really use parking mode without it being hardwired. If you use the USB version, there is a risk it will damage the battery and SD card.

I was very cross and pointed out that nowhere on their detailed webpage does it specify this anywhere and I would have purchased the hard wired version had I known. Next base have told me that most people read a user manual before they buy a product. I have had a quick read of consumer law and I don’t think there right. Parking mode is a key feature and nowhere on the web page does it say anything about there being a risk of damage if you choose not to hardwire it. It makes it sound like you can either use the USB option or hardwire it, which is more convenient for you. It seems like misleading advertising to me.

They have since sent me a replacement SD and told me that to stop it corrupting I am not to use parking mode unless I hardwire it.

I want a refund/exchange as the product has been turning itself off and on, and in my opinion has clearly sustained some damage from being used via USB. Next base think I should try hard wiring it and see if it is still turning itself on and off before they will consider discussing it further. I will also now need to buy a separate hardwiring kit as I bought the USB one.

Am I being unreasonable in demanding an exchange or refund?
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I think nextbase is correct, to use parking mode you would need a constant power supply to your dash cam so hardwiring is needed to ensure that the unit is operational even when the car is turned off.
    Most usb or cigarette lighters only supply power when the key is turned on (ACC turned on, engine don't need to be running, like a cd player won't play without key).
    If you use unit with usb/ your dash cam is powered by it's internal battery, draining this battery will damage the unit and cause error issues. If you want you use park mode, get a hardwire kit and get an auto technician to wire it correctly.
    Also the hardwire kit will likely have a voltage safety cutoff to help prevent draining the cars battery etc. On some cars the usb/cigarette sockets remain live.
    A day after wiring in my nextbase, my passenger window got smashed and the dashcam snatched
    If you wanted it to record while it was parked you'd need a seperate thing, my mate had one in his Rangie, it was little powerbank thing that charged when the car was running and they used its own power when the car was off to run the dash cam.
    Both my Nextbases are hardwires, but soon as you turn the ignition off they turn off.
    Also what SD card are you using? It should say on it what it's good for speed wise
    I think it's how it's hardwired, it could be hardwired with a permanent live or a switched live.
    A friend's sister has a dash cam and I'm very impressed with it. She gave me a demo, she can remotely view what the cameras see from the front, rear and from the interior of the car via her phone or pc.
    What dash cam is that? Ty
    Interesting as on YouTube there is a short video on hardwiring a Nextbase dash cam by Nextbase. It piggybacks off an existing fuse, making reference to live and switced live ones but doesn't actually say which you should use.
    the Sd card corrupted within 3 weeks and it started turning itself on and off.

Within the first 30 days from receipt of the product, did your comms with the trader include the word "reject" and/or "refund"?
    If so, you have indicated your preference to exercise your 30days right to reject the busted rubbish as provided by Consumer Rights Act.

Let's assume your comms with the trader satisfies 30dR2R:
    Note the phrase
    They explained.. If you use the USB version, there is a risk it will damage the battery and SD card.
    so the seller has openly indicated that the design is rubbish
    i.e. the seller has stated the device has a design flaw of poor or even zero self-protection against power loss.
    In which case you acknowledge and appreciate the seller's gesture of goodwill replacement of sd card but you still maintain your primary expectation of 30dR2R for full refund.

If the trader continues to decline to refund, ask the trader to identify its exemption to Consumer Rights Act
    (hint: there is no exemption to CRA for similar credible scenarios).

But there other factors to consider specific to this trader:

usually it would not be appropriate to accept a replacement in lieu of 30days R2R refund,
    but in this instance it may be prudent to accept a functional replacement if offered as you say you
    bought the 322GW full package Dash cam from Next base
    and the bad news is that the operator of the Nextbase website may be about to bow out disgracefully as it is hemorrhaging directors left right & centre and is overdue filing its company accounts.
    If this continues for only another four weeks or so, the next company filing will likely be a compulsory strike-off notice,
    so get what you can now,
    which will likely be nothing - same as later.

But...
    presumably you paid these chancers directly by credit card for one item costing more than £100 (qty 01 "full package" costing well in XS of £100) in which case if the trader goes south or declines to play ball you can present same 30dR2R claim to the credit provider.

Is it worth the effort to argue interpretation that may escalate to involving paying / attempting to reclaim expert opinion costs?
    Your call.
    Author
    Thank you for your comprehensive answer. It was really useful and has pointed me in the right direction. Sent the company a final email and will move to a credit card charge back if no joy. 
's avatar