Posted 1 day ago

Consumer advice- refund replacement of faulty headphones

Hello all. I purchased the Ugreen T2 headphones (deal on here) in April 2022. They were £16.99 from MyMemory and comes with 2 yr warranty.

One headphone has developed a fault so I contacted my memory who said it as after 12 months its not under their warranted (as i expected). When i contacted Ugreen they said the no longer sell the T2 so there is nothing they can do!

I'm happy to have a repair, replacement, alternative product or a refund, they refused anything.

I rewrote to both using the Which? guide templates with strong language about their 2015 consumer rights obligations but neither were bothered!

Not sure what the next step is? Many thanks if you can help?

Scott
Community Updates
New Comment

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Considerations:

Manufacturer warranty is non-contractual so not enforceable - although there is nothing stopping manu Ugreen from offering some gesture of goodwill, other than its choice not to bother.
    Just remember Ugreen's disinterest next time Ugreen may be one of the options for any future product purchases.

Any payment mechanism protection (chargeback; PayPal Pootection) expired at least 17 months ago.

Trader is based in Jersey, so interesting attempt at applying Gov UK Consumer Rights Act 2015.
    OP text has no mention of
    Supply of Goods and Services (Jersey) Law 2009,
    and/or
    Consumer Protection (Unfair Practices) (Jersey) Law 2018.

If staying with CRA 2015:
    how long do you believe the product should flawlessly perform? Three years; four years; five years?
    Let's arbitrarily assume four years lifetime on a £16.99 (inc p&p?) product.
    Your claim is pro-rata to the period of your stated two years of functionality,
    so your loss is 50% of product life expectancy,
    so total claim value is 50% purchase price = £8.49 total.

After 6 months from receipt the bustedness burden of proof is with the consumer to show unsatisfactory product quality/durability - typically via a credible report produced by 3rd party.
    It is highly unlikely it would be possible to commission a credible report for £zero,
    and any report cost will clearly be disproportionate to the claim value of under a tenner,
    so you could be seen to be a reasonable person by mitigating report costs (not bothering with report), informing trader of mitigation via going straight to Letter Before Action; subsequently throwing £35 at UK Moneyclaimonline if trader continues to show no interest.

If your claim progresses and you win, how do you intend to enforce your £8.49+£35 in Jersey?

Maybe it would be less risky/problematic to continue to attempt to coerce / guilt some gesture of goodwill from the trader, MyMemory?
    If MyMemory remains arrogant & unhelpful, just use YourMemory not to purchase from MM in future whilst spreading your unlove via social mumble, TP, etc.
    "Your claim is pro-rata to the period of your stated two years of functionality,
    so your loss is 50% of product life expectancy,
    so total claim value is 50% purchase price = £8.49 total."

Very interesting Andy as you vehemently denied any such method existed or could be implied a few months back. In fact you made quite an issue of me suggesting such a consideration existed.

It is nice to see you have had a change of heart. Keep up the good work.
    I'd write of the £16 having had almost 2 years of use. I wouldn't have put so much effort in and gone so far as Which?, my time is more valuable than that for such a cheap item tbh
    I think OP has done the maximum, wouldn't do any more given the effort required for £26.

The problem is next time it might be a far more valuable item
    Buy a new one from same seller (if still available) then upon receipt state it's faulty and send the old one back. Hopefully no serial number issues of course!
    That sucks - I had a similar time with my HyperX Cloud Revolver headset - £149.99 headset!
    How did you pay? Could you do a chargeback on there?

I had my Bose QC25s develop a fault, sent back to Bose, they said they didn't make those anymore so sent me the then newer QC35s. Win! (edited)
    Not sure you can do a chargeback 22 months later?
    Use Resolver maybe? I've had some success with that in the past (and currently, looking at you Geepas!)
    Your contract is ALWAYS with the seller, remind them of this and quote the "2 year warranty"
    You card provider may help, but as it's a small amount it's a gamble.
    Small claims would be the way forward in the end, but is your time worth £17 ?
    2 year warranty is with the manufacturer, not the trader.
    Card provider protection expired 20+ months ago.
    CRA claim value is less than £10.
    OP would need to consider how to enforce a UK judgment on an entity based in Jersey.
    Take the hit and move on, not worth your time or hassle.
's avatar