Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 6 July 2011

council tax - how long can someone 'lodge' before they are legally bound to pay it?

How long can someone stay at another person's house before they have to start paying council tax? They are there till they can afford to rent a place of there own, and the person they are staying with pays his council tax but only as a single person..........
Community Updates
A quick guide on how Council Tax works and how you could reduce your bill

9603.jpg
What is it?
Council tax is collected by your local authority to pay for services in your community, from rubbish collection through to funding the police. It was first introduced in 1993. The bandings are calculated based on the value of the property on the 1st April 1991. This date applies to properties in England and Scotland, but in Wales it is 1st April 2003. In England and Scotland, properties are split into eight council tax bands which range from from A to H (in Wales there’s also a ninth ‘I’ band). However, Northern Ireland uses a different domestic rates system, based on rental values.

If your property was built before 1st April 1991 then the VOA for England and Wales will have assessed it based on the property’s size, layout, character and its location. If the property didn’t exist on the date the banding valuations are set, it will be compared to the same types of properties in the area that already have a council tax band.

Council tax applies to everyone who lives in a property in the UK and is a compulsory tax for anyone over the age of 18 (we’ll look at exemptions to this further down).

What does it cost?
Your council tax is set by your local tax office at your council (find out yours here) and therefore the payments vary nationwide. As stated above, it operates on a system of different value bands. An easy way to find out what band your property (or one you are looking to rent or buy) is in, is to use the Council Tax Checker here.

However, there are exemptions to council tax payments if your property falls into one of the following brackets. The property will be exempt if it is:

• occupied entirely by full-time students.
  • occupied only by people aged under 18.
  • an armed forces accommodation.
  • unoccupied and undergoing major repair work to render the property habitable, or structural alteration (the length of this exemption changes depending on which council you are dealing with).
  • unoccupied and part of the estate of someone who has died (for up to 6 months after probate has been granted).
  • unoccupied and repossessed (for example, taken into possession by a mortgage lender).
N.B In Scotland, you'll may already need to pay full council tax even if your home is unoccupied for 12 months.

How do I pay my council tax?
You will be sent a bill to your property outlining the full annual cost. You usually make a payment of council tax on a monthly basis as laid out on your bill but you have the option to pay the year in full if you wish. Many local authorities offer different methods of payments including Direct Debit, online payment facilities and telephone payment systems. A contact number will be provided on your council tax bill if you have any queries. If you have recently moved to a new area you will need to inform both local authorities of your change of address for council tax purposes.

We’ll take a look at how your circumstances can save money on your council tax:

I’m the only adult living in my house, can I get a council tax discount?
A full council tax bill is based on two adults living in the property. If you are the only person in your household age 18 or over then you can apply for a reduction through your local authority. Your council will ask you to provide supporting evidence. Once evaluated they will then inform you whether they’ve granted you a reduction within two months.

I’m on a low income, can I get any help towards my council tax?
If you or anyone you live with is on a low income (including Tax Credits, Universal Credit or JSA) then you may be eligible for a council tax reduction of up to 100%. This is known as Council Tax Support and is paid via a rebate on your council tax bill. Factors that can affect how much you are eligible for include; income, any savings you have and whether you live with other adults, your residency status and more. Each local authority sets different levels of Council Tax Support so contact your local authority to find out whether you're eligible for a reduction. You can apply online for a council tax reduction here.

I live with a disabled person, can I get any help towards council tax?
Your council tax bill could be reduced if your property has features that are essential for the wellbeing of a person with a disability who lives there. An example of this is having specially adapted kitchens or bathrooms within the property. The disabled person can be either an adult or a child and eligible households will get a one-band reduction on their council tax bill. If you think you could be eligible for this then contact your local council tax office.

What is a ‘second adult rebate’?
You may be able to claim a second adult rebate if you share your house with another adult on a low income who is NOT your partner or spouse. It is worth approaching your local authority if you think this may apply to you.

How long can someone stay without paying council tax?
If a lodger has moved into your house and you are paying council tax as a single occupant then you will need to inform the local council. Normally, if the person has another main residence where they pay council tax then yours won’t be affected but if they don't, and they are over 18, then your single occupancy rate will no longer apply. Therefore you need to be careful regarding the council tax single person discount temporary guest consequences, if someone stays with you for too long and they are not paying council tax for another property then this will affect your rate. If you just have someone staying for a few nights you don’t need to worry about this since it’s unlikely you have to pay a council tax staying with friends for a short time. In any case, you should speak to your local council about council tax temporary guest rates and their potential effect on your council tax. If your council tax is affected then you could ask to split the bill with your lodger or include it in their rent. Also, remember that if you are taking payment from your lodger then this money will also need to be added to your annual tax return.

What about second homes and holiday homes?
It may be possible to get a discount on your second or holiday home. This varies from council to council and the reasons why you have a second home. For example, if it is due to work, like owning a pub or working for a church, you may be eligible for a 50% reduction on your council tax. You will need to pay the full amount on your main residence and apply to the local authority in the area your second home is located to see if you could get a discount based on your circumstances.

I don’t think my council tax band is fair, can I ask for it to be changed?
It is possible to ask for a review of your council tax band if you think your property has been put in a higher band than it should be (for example, you are paying more than your neighbours but it is the exact same size and age property). You can ask for a review of your council tax band through the Valuation Office Agency. This could save you money but be aware that if they review your property they could also put it into an even higher council tax band.

I’ve applied for a discount based on my circumstances but it has been rejected, what should I do now?
The first step is to write to your local council detailing why you think your bill isn’t correct. If this appeal is rejected then you can use this online form for the Valuation Tribunal to request a review into your case.
New Comment

31 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Syzable

If they are over 18 then immediately...........if under 18 not at all.

bossyboots

As Sy said - immediately

Yes, but that's staying as a visit, plus you'll already be paying council tax where you live.. From the OP, ther person is moving in until they can afford their own place to rent so therefore it's becoming their permanant residence.
    Dont know if it changes per council but i actually discussed this with my council and i think it was about 30 days, if they are staying free of charge, at the time i was living alone and they tild me i did not need to ring up or cancel my single occupant discount everytime a friend or family member came to stay- thats ridiculous. Of course if someone was to stay longer or move in then you would have to provide the correct information about when they came. So if helping friend without taking money then i'd say a month, but even if theyre staying free, if its longer than 30 days you should declare as would lose single occupant discount. If charging friend from outset then should be declared straight away. But id double check with your particular council.
    As Sy said - immediately
    inb4 OP realises friends are now committing fraud
    Syzable

bossyboots

As Sy said - immediately

This is surely not right - if I go to stay with my mum for a week then I cannot pay CT there for just that week. There must be a point where if you stay for longer it would be a CT liability. Since lots of people go away for 2 weeks, I would think that it must be 3 weeks at least. Probably asking the council is the best idea.

ryouga

This brings up an interesting thought for me, what happens with students … This brings up an interesting thought for me, what happens with students who go back to parents for summer but then return to same property which has their possessions in.Do they have to show their student exemption for their parents house? And what if they move back to their parents for summer with their possessions and dont pay rent elsewhere? etc.Not that it affects me I am just thinking about it.

I refer you to post #17. Council tax is based on the value of a property not how many people live there.

In b4 racist comments lol.
    annibooboo

Got me thinking ..... There must be people who are 'council tax cheats' … Got me thinking ..... There must be people who are 'council tax cheats' perhaps living with parents/girlfriends/boyfriends or whatever and have never paid council tax. What happens when they buy/or rent a place of their own? They have to tell the council where they have moved from? We don't hear of council tax cheats do we? But they must exist. I struggle to pay my council tax every month!!!

How many times.... Council tax is based on PROPERTY not how many people live there.
    deleted1706206/07/2011 09:25

correct

Simon06/07/2011 09:23

Yes, but that's staying as a visit, plus you'll already be paying council …Yes, but that's staying as a visit, plus you'll already be paying council tax where you live.. From the OP, ther person is moving in until they can afford their own place to rent so therefore it's becoming their permanant residence.

Incorrect. it would be a bit silly if they were able to afford it after a week then moved out. They wouldn't pay council tax for a week!
    deleted216167708/01/2019 20:40

I have a friend staying with me but she is not a lodger as she pays me …I have a friend staying with me but she is not a lodger as she pays me nothing to stay. She has nothing registered at my address and can prove that no money is given to me. Will this affect my 25% discount?

If she’s there for a couple of weeks, I get the pay nothing. If there any longer, she should be contributing to everything.
    In either case CT will be due @100%
    inb4 .......everything
    So much misinformation early in this thread.

OP, ask your friend to phone the council tax dept of their local authority.
    Syzable

That's clearly an incorrect statement.

For example, if someone comes to stay at your house for the weekend, you don't have to tell them.

OP - contact your local council.

Syzable

Yes, but that's staying as a visit, plus you'll already be paying council … Yes, but that's staying as a visit, plus you'll already be paying council tax where you live.. From the OP, ther person is moving in until they can afford their own place to rent so therefore it's becoming their permanant residence.

correct
    depends on the local council
    If that is their current residence and they are not paying CT at another address then they should be included on your friends
    Whilst you are at your computer on the net, for clear and exact information, check the council website. Simple and easy.
    Thought this was council tax not poll tax. It's property based not person based. If the ops friends claiming single occupancy discount then that's all that needs sorting, everything else is between the friend and 'lodger'.
    Tell them you are Minister of the Church, they don't pay council tax.
    This brings up an interesting thought for me, what happens with students who go back to parents for summer but then return to same property which has their possessions in.

Do they have to show their student exemption for their parents house? And what if they move back to their parents for summer with their possessions and dont pay rent elsewhere? etc.

Not that it affects me I am just thinking about it.
    Got me thinking ..... There must be people who are 'council tax cheats' perhaps living with parents/girlfriends/boyfriends or whatever and have never paid council tax. What happens when they buy/or rent a place of their own?

They have to tell the council where they have moved from? We don't hear of council tax cheats do we? But they must exist. I struggle to pay my council tax every month!!!
    deleted206264703/10/2018 10:01

Incorrect. it would be a bit silly if they were able to afford it after a …Incorrect. it would be a bit silly if they were able to afford it after a week then moved out. They wouldn't pay council tax for a week!

you joined up today to resurrect an ancient thread
    I have a friend staying with me but she is not a lodger as she pays me nothing to stay. She has nothing registered at my address and can prove that no money is given to me. Will this affect my 25% discount?
    deleted216167708/01/2019 20:40

I have a friend staying with me but she is not a lodger as she pays me …I have a friend staying with me but she is not a lodger as she pays me nothing to stay. She has nothing registered at my address and can prove that no money is given to me. Will this affect my 25% discount?

Yes, you must notify the council and pay 100% if the person is working. £1000 fine and arrears of amount owed and a criminal record otherwise (edited)
    Can you move out your property for 10 months to avoid council tax
    deleted222173329/04/2019 16:50

Can you move out your property for 10 months to avoid council tax

Only if you remove all the furniture
    if someone full-time student and he was living in a residence hall and after that, he finished studying and still waiting for the certificate and during this time he stays in a guest house. does he need to pay c tax?
    What if you’re staying with friends temporarily for a few months
    deleted239032529/11/2019 08:47

What if you’re staying with friends temporarily for a few months

Must notify council
's avatar