Posted 2 days ago

Data Analyst job market oversaturated.

Is the data analyst job market oversaturated, or is there a high demand for this?

I'm assuming that as this can be done at home, you'll be up against international competition.
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    We stopped hiring at junior levels as most of the download data, clean it, format it, publish reports, etc. work is getting automated or done at low cost locations; even the latter is shrinking. But those with good technical programming skills remain in demand. (edited)
    Do data analysts always "assume"? Or do they analyse all the data first? (edited)
    Oversaturated and at risk of replacement by AI powered solutions.
    Some of the AI and Machine Learning tools that are available are mind boggling. The value they provide out of the box is unheard of compared to say 10 years ago.

So many of the simpler data formatting and analysis roles are cheaper to farm out to low cost countries or if they are sensitive, use AI tools that you can control.

Saying that, we hire graduates that have the skill sets of someone that's been working 10/15 years. What they lack is the real world experience however. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks for your helpful reply.
    I was trying to persuade my step son to transition to become a data analyst/scientist (with Python and SQL skills as insurance) but I just havent seen that many jobs advertised locally recently. Relatively speaking that is.... a sign of the general economy I guess.

If it was a job role I was considering at the moment Id definitely look at the more technical end of the spectrum to future proof your position (as best you can in IT....).

Having said that there are a large number of data related jobs on the Civil Service Jobs website that maybe worth looking at to see their requirements :-

Civil Service Jobs Search term data

(Cant remember where I saw it but I remember seeing "data apprenticeship" type jobs in there somewhere....my words not theirs....over a couple of years I think.

If its something that youre considering maybe have a look at some of the Udemy courses in the area as a taster. Advanced Excel/ Power BI and upwards. Data analyst /scientist is a broad church. I use these quite regularly when they are £9.99 or less from overseas with a vpn.

If you want some advice on transitioning maybe post some info about your background and current level of knowledge to get some advice from people already in the job.

(I work in IT but Im not a data analyst ...so happy to be corrected on any of the above)
    Author
    Thanks for your helpful reply. I'm an advanced Excel user and have been using SQL for many years writing queries and reports. Tried a little python and power bi.
    Data analyst job is not a standalone job anymore.
's avatar