Posted 23 hours ago

DHL Import advice needed

Hi guys,

I've bought a couple of items from a European country and DHL will be delivering it tomorrow. They are asking for import duty/tax payment which i was aware so that's ok. However, requested amount seems way too high.

I've spent £165 on 2 products, and the import charge is £70.

I'm not willing to pay that amount as it seems wrong. I was expecting to pay about £30.

Anyone know what my options are? Most appreciated.
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    duty is calculated by UK customs and Collected by the DHL
    its not negotiable and you either pay it or your shipment gets returned/destroyed
    the HTS code determines the rate of duty on the goods being imported
    Author
    Thank you. I did pay but i will email and dispute the charge. Dhl was no help.
    No indication if the £165 includes shipping cost or insurance,
    but VAT is due on all including the Duty.
    Then add DHL admin fee of around £11.

gov.uk/goo…uty
    Author
    The cost includes a £14.99 delivery charge.
    I had a massive run in with DHL after they tried to charge VAT + admin fees on my personal iPhone which was sent to me after leaving it at a hotel in Spain. Ended up talking to 4 various department's all who denied responsibility and referred to another dept. going around in circles. Took 3 weeks to sort out. Worst customer services I have ever dealt with. Suspect the extra is the DHL handling fees, but I suspect you'll have to pay up and then enter a death spiral trying to recover any money.
    Author
    That's extremely annoying! Never doing any shopping over £135 anymore! Let that be my lesson
    Maybe when the tax invoice is presented you could provide an indication of breakdown to permit readers to better appreciate the cumulative elements involved.
's avatar