Posted 3 days ago

Disney crackdown on password sharing from June

Copy pasted from The Times because it has a paywall.
Quote.. ..
Once upon a time, households sharing passwords for streaming platform Disney+ could enjoy the media giant’s back catalogue of fantastical films guilt-free — but now that magic has come to an end.

Disney is to start cracking down on password sharing from June on its streaming service, following a similar move last year by Netflix which told millions of password-sharers that they were breaking the law.

Bob Iger, the chief executive, announced the move on Thursday, as plans are being made to implement strategies to mitigate password-sharing in 2024.

Disney+ and its streaming rivals, including Netflix, Amazon Prime and Apple TV+, are trying to boost subscriber growth and find ways to make streaming more profitable, including cutting content spending, cheaper ad-supported options and preventing account sharing.

Iger, who said the strategy was a “real priority” for the company, said in an interview with CNBC: “We already have the technical capability to monitor much of this. I’m not going to give a specific number, except to say that it is significant.”

The password-sharing move came just one day after Disney successfully fought off an attempt by billionaire investor and Brooklyn Beckham’s father-in-law, Nelson Peltz, to win seats on the board of the entertainment giant, which has a stock market value of $220 billion.

Iger said: “With the distracting proxy contest now behind us, we’re eager to focus 100 per cent of our attention on our most important priorities: growth and value creation for our shareholders and creative excellence for our consumers.”

Billionaire Nelson Peltz, founder and chief executive officer of Trian Fund Management, was thwarted in his attempt to win Disney board seats
Billionaire Nelson Peltz, founder and chief executive officer of Trian Fund Management, was thwarted in his attempt to win Disney board seats

The Intellectual Property Office, opening a new anti-piracy campaign with Meta, the owner of Facebook, Instagram, Threads and WhatsApp,said that unauthorised sharing of passwords for streaming services was a breach of copyright law.

Consumers using a shared password are now asked to pay for the service unless they live in the same house as the account owner. The rules will be enforced based on IP addresses, device IDs and account activity.

After the switch, Netflix announced that a record number of people had started paying to use the service, estimating it added 1.8 million subscribers and increased its paying audience to approximately 234.5 million.

Disney, whose streaming services include Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+, increased its prices in November as it attempts to cut costs following a fall in subscribers to 11.7 million in the three months to July.

Three new pricing tiers have been introduced, starting at £4.99 per month and ranging up to £10.99 for the premium service.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

68 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It’s pure greed at this point. Many families are struggling with the cost of living and sharing accounts helps with that. I know some people who have allowed their child’s friend to have a profile as their friend’s parents couldn’t afford it.

It might not seem like a lot but it can make a big difference to a child’s well-being to be able to be involved in the conversations at school about the latest movie/TV show they’re all watching.

Many people subscribe to multiple streaming accounts but if they keep increasing prices, including annoying adverts & clamping down on profile sharing then they’ll most likely lose a big chunk of their customer base. (edited)
    And I'd also question since when did a streaming service become "necessary" for folks who are "struggling". Back in my days, families were deemed as struggling if they couldn't afford bread and milk.
    I'd give up Disney plus sooner than I'd give up not having bread and milk, but I guess times have changed
    Well shiver me timbers - what with password sharing lock down and other platforms playing ads, I think it's safe to say that subscription based content is dead - we have basically gone back to a streaming service. We have just swapped the type of cable!
    Just watched this, seems relevant:
    (edited)
    Author
    Do not connect your TV to the network. Go through another device, for example Shield. Then you can block the TV getting updates, and spying, whether with adblockers, VPN, or other systems.
    There will be a way found to delete the cache on the TV where the ads are stored
    That will be the end of Disney if they do that
    Same reason why Amazon will never clamp down on fire sticks. That would be the end of fire stick sales as they know it (edited)
    Cancelled mine and don't really miss it tbh
    This is the correct attitude to show you disagree with the price model.
    Only just started a 12month Samsung offer in 2 weeks ago.

We use 5 family accounts in 3 or 4 locations.

If Netflix subscribers weren't so addicted to the service and had cancelled their subscriptions, it wouldn't be giving Disney the arrogance/confidence to follow suit

But Netflix offer better range than Disney so it could backfire on them. (edited)
    ive got netflix as part of my Tv bundle its garbarge ive not watched a single thing on it in over 5 months and when i look on it there nout worth watching either
    Probably about as empty a threat as Amazon clamping down on firesticks
    Thanks for sharing this. We all knew this was coming when they changed their terms last year to specify an account was meant for a single household. Anyone continuing to account-share or seeking it is risking any money put into it
    Surely someone of high moral standing as yourself is not involved in this type of thing!

I'm shocked (edited)
    Author
    "The rules will be enforced based on IP addresses, device IDs and account activity."
    So does this mean that you can't watch whilst on holiday, house sitting, etc?
    It'll probably be similar to how Netflix do where you can get temporary access outside of the home use.
    Would get rid of them all but current £1.99 deal is decent.
    I guess that will be the end of my subscription for sure.
    Why? If you're not paying it's not your subscription anyway and if you are paying, there is no difference to you (edited)
    There's going to be a lot of people asking for iptv suggestions soon!
    i dont understand why they do this they should be happy People are buying there service they just get greedy and then do stuff like this and raise there prices (edited)
    Well no not really. The company is there to make a profit. A business will continue to squeeze their customer base until it becomes unprofitable for them. Then they'll relax things a bit until they reach the profit level expected.
    What's stopping me making a new joint email address for myself and my extended family then tying that to the Disney plus account so that any time it asks for a temp login code, my sister (for example), can log in and use the temp code to watch at her house? Wouldn't this also work for a shared netflix account?
    Think you can only do it a certain amount of times
    If I log in to Disney+ on holiday (some hotel rooms have smart TVs with the Disney+ app and I take my Chromecast with me anyway), will Disney+ think I'm password sharing and restrict my account?
    Who knows, just wait and see what happens.
's avatar