Posted 23 hours ago

Domain purchase & renewals - Who's the cheapest?

I want to obtain a few domain names. They will only be used for email receipt, getting away from the google and other "free" sites, and for maintaining my privacy. Thereafter they will be forwarded to Proton Mail.
I don't care what type of domain type it is, ie com, co, info, etc. I just want cheap to buy, of which I have seen com available for 1p, but renewal prices start getting stupid. With the 1p example, it is a 3 year contract with years 1 & 2 at £12.99, so it is not a deal, especially when added to the price of the Proton subscription
There are a lot of sites to go through, with many offers, so I thought it easier to ask for recommendations.
Yes I could use aliases, but I have found a lot of sites are blocking them because they are deemed disposable, and untrackable. With a "proper" address I can still get in, and with varying domains it will mean that connecting my purchases with my health records or travel choices etc will be difficult.
Yes it might be tin foil hat stuff, but it is a fresh roll I bought on discount, and I want to use it.

And don't make the mistake of relying on a poor memory, and going to bigdaddy, instead of godaddy.
Community Updates
New Comment

10 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You’re best having a look on tld-list.com as you can arrange the domains by cost and it’ll list the cheapest registrar for each TLD.

Many of the traditional TLD’s (co/com/net etc) are maintained by some larger companies like Verisign and due to popularity are often expensive (even if the initial registration is cheap you’re ultimately stuck on renewal) whereas .xyz can be obtained relatively cheap and retained for a minimal cost.
    Not the cheapest, but Cloudflare charge cost price for a domain.
    Keep in mind, you can't customize nameservers at cloudfare.
    maintaining my privacy

To ensure true email privacy, you wouldn't rely on any email hosting service. Rather, you would host your own email Exchange / Postfix server.

But ensure you don't become like Hilary Clinton – the victim of an email server hack attack.
    GoDaddy is a rip off.

Try NameCheap, I've personally used this registrar and had no problems with them.
    Got a great price for 10 years when I transfered my domain to godaddy.

However, close to renewal and I'l will transfer to namecheap
    Best looking at tld list. Make sure to pick a domain extension with reasonable renewal prices. Nearly all companies make transfers very easy now so you can jump to save a few £.
    ...except for the companies that impose fees to transfer away.
's avatar