Posted 4 January 2024

Dual monitor advice

Hi, I’m trying to upgrade my work from home setup. I currently work on a MacBook Pro with an old 22” monitor via hdmi to VGA port.

I would like two new monitors approx 24-27”. My budget is no more than approx £200 a monitor, preferably cheaper.

I don’t want to go overkill if not needed for what I use it for. The main use will be word, excel, IDEs for coding etc, internet browsing, occasionally watch Netflix via fire stick and maybe games like Football Manager. My kids might want to play FPS and games like Minecraft/Stardew Valley

I got to be able to connect a MacBook Pro (has 4 usb-c ports) when working. And for personal use, a Lenovo legion slim 5 ( has hdmi, usb and usb-c that supports display port 1.4). Processor is AMD Ryzen 7 and the graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070.

And advice on what would be decent budget monitors in this setup?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Have you thought about a TV? I went for a 42" 4K TV for my work, it needed a bit of tweaking for colour and contrast to allow the text to work properly, but now it's set up I'm really happy. The screen is split into six portions with Powertoys, each one is big enough for an app to be used comfortably (basically 1280 x 1080). The bottom three are my constant use ones (so usually Visual Studio, Chrome and file explorer), then the top three are for occasional use (youtube or music player, a few notepads and an Office app).

I then have my PS4 and Xbox on the other HDMI ports for when it's not work time.
    Author
    Unfortunately my desk is under a sloping ceiling so couldn’t go much bigger than 27”
    Have a look at CEX for Dell 24inch monitors. Should be able to get some decent office spec monitors for around £200 each or less.
    Try to get the same model for both monitors
    hotukdeals.com/dea…802

Don't know why you want DisplayPort 1.4, this is 1.2a, but should exceed your needs. Not a gaming monitor, but Minecraft/Stardew and FM will be great on it remember that you are getting a 4K monitor here rather than QHD or FHD..
    Author
    Cheers, saw that but not coming up at that price for me and be a pain if need to return in Spain. Display port 1.4 was just the spec for what it says on the Lenovo’s usb-c
's avatar