Posted 27 February 2022

EBay - I didn’t get item - tracking provided after 10 days, seller not responding now !!

I was waiting over 10 days for a package. It’s worth 140£

Emailed seller, very late so I was wondering why its taking so long, the actual tracking details weren’t uploaded / provided on the eBay tracking was just showing waiting to dispatch.

Stated in my email no sign of my item.

They emailed back saying

“ hope this helps “
Tracking number
Thank you

Obviously clear to seller based on my email I hadn’t received it.

Tracking from UPS states delivered, there is over 30 apartments in my building nothing was delivered to me on that day as I was in the office the entire day.

I contacted ups they stated that seller should contact them but wouldn’t give me any information.
I’m trying to find out who it was delivered to.

On the Ups site it states signature will be taken as Proof of delivery, usually when I get ups delivery the driver takes a photo when I get the package

3896470_1.jpg

I’m not sure if this applied to
ups standard with tracking.

I have emailed the seller to contact them for proof of delivery / signature/ photo but no response in 3 days.

Had so many problems with eBay buying & Selling I’m really considering leaving the platform for good as it’s happening too often now and so time consuming and causing me stress that is simply not worth it anymore.

Any advice would be much appreciated on this ?

As seller is not responding should I open a case with eBay ?

Their first response wasn’t exactly reassuring. Like they didn’t care as they provided tracking number 10 days later.

On the eBay page of item it was supposed to be sent Royal Mail special delivery but ups standard was used

3896470_1.jpg
One of the reasons I purchased from the was the fact that it was supposed to be delivered with Royal Mail special delivery, it was advertised on the listing, I always prefer Royal Mail delivery tracked for expensive purchases. Special delivery even better.

Does this matter? Obviously Royal Mail special delivery would be way safer than ups standard.

ups drivers never want to come up the stairs, they always leave the package at the front door of building, happens many times as I had run down to avoid it been taken by hundreds of people coming in or out like food delivery drivers or cleaners and so on. It’s not exactly a nice building by any means, plenty of the sort that would take a package of left outside!!
Not sure what I should do now
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

18 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Ask the seller directly in a clear language for refund or new item once in an eBay message. It is not your job to track undelivered package and spend money/time on talking to the delivery companies. If the seller does not comply, escalate the issue to eBay as "Item not received" you'll get your money back 99% it'll just take some time.

ccnp27/02/2022 10:46

You spent £140 on a platform un-affectionately nicknamed eScam by some of …You spent £140 on a platform un-affectionately nicknamed eScam by some of us, on which you have had prior problems, can read on here about tons of such problems and you are what? Unhappy or worse? Your idea of not using it sounds sound

Mate your tinfoil hat is slipping, I have been selling/buying on eBay for 12+ years and while I sometimes do not receive the item or receive a fake, if you keep paperwork in order you never lose a penny. (edited)
    Your approach could be this, when communicating with Ebay.
    * I specifically purchased the item so that RM Special Delivery method would be used, as description.
    * I would have ensured that I'd be home to sign for it, since RMSD guarantees a known delivery date.
    * This did not occur, through the fault of the seller deciding an alternative method.
    * UPS "delivered" on a day that I would have been at work, to an unknown location (there are 40 units at my address) and have no proof of delivery.
    * If Seller had fulfilled their obligation to use the agreed (and paid for) delivery method, I'd most likely have my item.
    BigStart27/02/2022 14:45

It’s open hasn’t been automatically closedThey did update tracking number t …It’s open hasn’t been automatically closedThey did update tracking number to item after 10 days but I have no idea where that has been delivered to, i can only guess he left at main entrance of building or left at my front door, most likely taken by someone at front door, I’m on the 4th floor, there is no lifts, ups & Hermes drives don’t want to come to the stairs, only Royal Mail goes up to all floors as they have letter deliverers on every floor

The other get-out-of-jail is Consumer Rights Act 2015, where (alleged) delivery to a location is reasonably not transferring risk by "physical possession":

29 Passing of risk
    (2)The goods remain at the trader's risk until they come into the physical possession of —
    (a) the consumer...

legislation.gov.uk/ukp…/29
    Author
    ccnp27/02/2022 10:46

Maybe if you paid by credit card (NOT via Paypal), you have a S75 claimYou …Maybe if you paid by credit card (NOT via Paypal), you have a S75 claimYou spent £140 on a platform un-affectionately nicknamed eScam by some of us, on which you have had prior problems, can read on here about tons of such problems and you are what? Unhappy or worse? Your idea of not using it sounds sound. Sorry if that sound harsh. Sometimes the answer is there starring us in the face. It just needs acting on. I struggled with abandoning perceived opportunities on eBay but I now only use identifiably commercial sellers who are usually also on Amazon - where I shop loads with very few regrets - and have no regrets about abandoning private sales on ebay.

The item retails at 260, currently on sale for 210, it’s a significant saving.
    The seller was supposed to ship Royal Mail special delivery but used ups standard. I very much doubt I would have made the purchase knowing that or would have asked for Royal Mail delivery to avoid the risk of Hermes or ups knowing they might leave the package at the front door or leave it at my door.
    I think this will be my last expensive purchase on eBay as you said it’s not worth it

C.G.B.Spender27/02/2022 10:50

Ask the seller directly in a clear language for refund or new item once in …Ask the seller directly in a clear language for refund or new item once in an eBay message. It is not your job to track undelivered package and spend money/time on talking to the delivery companies. If the seller does not comply, escalate the issue to eBay as "Item not received" you'll get your money back 99% it'll just take some time.Mate your tinfoil hat is slipping, I have been selling/buying on eBay for 12+ years and while I sometimes do not receive the item or receive a fake, if you keep paperwork in order you never lose a penny.

You seem very experienced, I did what you stated. Emailed them again saying I didn’t receive it / I was in the office / can you find out who / where it was delivered to as ups won’t give me any information.

I also opened a request refund requests with eBay for item not received.
    it states if there is no resolution by 1st of march eBay can step in.

The tracking number shows delivered but there is no picture at any door or signature on tracking details unless that is kept by ups. (edited)
    BigStart27/02/2022 12:41

God dam it you are a Legned.That is what I was trying to say but as I’m so …God dam it you are a Legned.That is what I was trying to say but as I’m so angry / stressed out, hard to get the words out. Thank you I will do a direct copy paste mostly.EBay states they won’t step in till 1st of march not sure if that will change after I reply.I actually thought they just hadn’t had time to go to Royal Mail or got lazy, it’s happened to me before or they forgot to post as zero tracking details for 10 days, I didn’t expect a ups tracking to be uploaded 10 days later after I informed them I’m still waiting for the package.

eBay does give sellers 3 days to respond, hence the Mar 1 date; it used to be a week earlier. In my experience, UPS drivers usually ask for the receiver's name when delivering while DPD takes a photo.
    BigStart27/02/2022 14:45

It’s open hasn’t been automatically closedThey did update tracking number t …It’s open hasn’t been automatically closedThey did update tracking number to item after 10 days but I have no idea where that has been delivered to, i can only guess he left at main entrance of building or left at my front door, most likely taken by someone at front door, I’m on the 4th floor, there is no lifts, ups & Hermes drives don’t want to come to the stairs, only Royal Mail goes up to all floors as they have letter deliverers on every floor

Maybe you miss the observational point, or I misunderstand your reply, where the observational point from that quotation is:
    "...you (seller) are required to upload tracking in the structured data field before the estimated delivery date has passed..."
    so ask yourself was the purchase history updated with the real(?) tracking number "before the estimated delivery date"?
    If not, investigate the negative impact for the seller, which is possibly an inability for seller to successfully challenge INR, or other detrimental seller outcome.
    Author
    AndyRoyd27/02/2022 15:28

The other get-out-of-jail is Consumer Rights Act 2015, where (alleged) …The other get-out-of-jail is Consumer Rights Act 2015, where (alleged) delivery to a location is reasonably not transferring risk by "physical possession":29 Passing of risk(2)The goods remain at the trader's risk until they come into the physical possession of —(a) the consumer...https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/29

Woo lol will have to use that
    Maybe if you paid by credit card (NOT via Paypal), you have a S75 claim

You spent £140 on a platform un-affectionately nicknamed eScam by some of us, on which you have had prior problems, can read on here about tons of such problems and you are what? Unhappy or worse? Your idea of not using it sounds sound. Sorry if that sound harsh. Sometimes the answer is there starring us in the face. It just needs acting on. I struggled with abandoning perceived opportunities on eBay but I now only use identifiably commercial sellers who are usually also on Amazon - where I shop loads with very few regrets - and have no regrets about abandoning private sales on ebay. (edited)
    To the best of my knowledge ups don’t normally take photos or get signatures. If you view the delivery confirmation on their website it normally has name of receiver printed.
    Push on with your claim with item not received. State the time ups claim to have delivered it and that you live in flats and were not home then.
    Seller will have to file a claim against ups. You can’t.
    Author
    Pilsbury1227/02/2022 11:36

To the best of my knowledge ups don’t normally take photos or get s …To the best of my knowledge ups don’t normally take photos or get signatures. If you view the delivery confirmation on their website it normally has name of receiver printed. Push on with your claim with item not received. State the time ups claim to have delivered it and that you live in flats and were not home then. Seller will have to file a claim against ups. You can’t.

Ok I thought they take a photo maybe, I was Told ups drivers don’t get paid unless they take picture as proof of delivery as the vast majority in london are contractors / freelancer ( man with a van type )
    Just my name on there but obviously my name on the package.

This would never happen with special delivery / Royal Mail as they securely deliver to household and obtain proof of delivery from buyer.
    It really annoying me now that it was supposed to be special delivery Royal Mail but obviously seller got very greedy and decided to save some money.

I always pay more than I collect for shipping to ensure I use the best service possible to avoid this situation (edited)
    BigStart27/02/2022 11:44

Ok I thought they take a photo maybe, I was Told ups drivers don’t get p …Ok I thought they take a photo maybe, I was Told ups drivers don’t get paid unless they take picture as proof of delivery as the vast majority in london are contractors / freelancer ( man with a van type ) Just my name on there but obviously my name on the package.This would never happen with special delivery / Royal Mail as they securely deliver to household and obtain proof of delivery from buyer.It really annoying me now that it was supposed to be special delivery Royal Mail but obviously seller got very greedy and decided to save some money. I always pay more than I collect for shipping to ensure I use the best service possible to avoid this situation

Perhaps ups take photos in the city. I know where I live they don’t. The best way I find when doing a claim for item not received is to ask seller all these points about Royal Mail etc but do it through the open case not as direct messages.
    Author
    Deist_Dean27/02/2022 12:13

Your approach could be this, when communicating with Ebay.* I specifically …Your approach could be this, when communicating with Ebay.* I specifically purchased the item so that RM Special Delivery method would be used, as description.* I would have ensured that I'd be home to sign for it, since RMSD guarantees a known delivery date.* This did not occur, through the fault of the seller deciding an alternative method.* UPS "delivered" on a day that I would have been at work, to an unknown location (there are 40 units at my address) and have no proof of delivery.* If Seller had fulfilled their obligation to use the agreed (and paid for) delivery method, I'd most likely have my item.

God dam it you are a Legned.

That is what I was trying to say but as I’m so angry / stressed out, hard to get the words out. Thank you I will do a direct copy paste mostly.

EBay states they won’t step in till 1st of march not sure if that will change after I reply.

I actually thought they just hadn’t had time to go to Royal Mail or got lazy, it’s happened to me before or they forgot to post as zero tracking details for 10 days, I didn’t expect a ups tracking to be uploaded 10 days later after I informed them I’m still waiting for the package. (edited)
    Author
    bozo00727/02/2022 12:53

eBay does give sellers 3 days to respond, hence the Mar 1 date; it used to …eBay does give sellers 3 days to respond, hence the Mar 1 date; it used to be a week earlier. In my experience, UPS drivers usually ask for the receiver's name when delivering while DPD takes a photo.

Ok so I guess this can be escalated once we both reply to each other I doubt it’s going to be a back & forth for ages ?

Hopefully eBay won’t mess me around
    BigStart27/02/2022 13:05

Ok so I guess this can be escalated once we both reply to each other I …Ok so I guess this can be escalated once we both reply to each other I doubt it’s going to be a back & forth for ages ? Hopefully eBay won’t mess me around

Ebay statement below may assist, sent by standard ebay mailshot 3 yrs ago and is presumed to still be in effect:
    "...We want to make selling and buying on eBay a fair process, so we’re updating our tracking policy. As of 4 March 2019, you are required to upload tracking in the structured data field before the estimated delivery date has passed. This is so that eBay can protect you if a buyer claims they haven’t received the item. Sending the tracking number to the buyer via email won’t protect you from a claim. We always recommend you upload tracking information as soon as you have shipped the item. See the eBay Money Back Guarantee for details..."

Ebay statement below may not assist, where a clever seller may counter with:
    "...If a buyer opened an item not received request, but tracking details later show the item has been delivered to the buyer's postcode, the request will be automatically closed..."
    ebay.co.uk/hel…088
    Author
    AndyRoyd27/02/2022 14:40

Ebay statement below may assist, sent by standard ebay mailshot 3 yrs ago …Ebay statement below may assist, sent by standard ebay mailshot 3 yrs ago and is presumed to still be in effect:"...We want to make selling and buying on eBay a fair process, so we’re updating our tracking policy. As of 4 March 2019, you are required to upload tracking in the structured data field before the estimated delivery date has passed. This is so that eBay can protect you if a buyer claims they haven’t received the item. Sending the tracking number to the buyer via email won’t protect you from a claim. We always recommend you upload tracking information as soon as you have shipped the item. See the eBay Money Back Guarantee for details..."Ebay statement below may not assist, where a clever seller may counter with:"...If a buyer opened an item not received request, but tracking details later show the item has been delivered to the buyer's postcode, the request will be automatically closed..."https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/tracking-items-youve-sold?id=4088#section4

It’s open hasn’t been automatically closed

They did update tracking number to item after 10 days but I have no idea where that has been delivered to, i can only guess he left at main entrance of building or left at my front door, most likely taken by someone at front door, I’m on the 4th floor, there is no lifts, ups & Hermes drives don’t want to come to the stairs, only Royal Mail goes up to all floors as they have letter deliverers on every floor
    Unless the tracking from UPS shows as delivered to your postcode, eBay will rule in your favour.
    Author
    HellriderUKDeals6927/02/2022 19:29

Unless the tracking from UPS shows as delivered to your postcode, eBay …Unless the tracking from UPS shows as delivered to your postcode, eBay will rule in your favour.

Delivered to my postcode but tracking details weren’t updated over a week after due dispatch date so I had no idea to look for it in the building after work or maybe take the morning off to be home knowing the tracking details. I think if it was delivered to my building it was left at building entrance, someone would have taken it for sure.

I paid for special Royal Mail delivery, seller posted ups standard certainly not the same, he should use the advertised Service, I wouldn’t have purchased if they used Hermes or ups knowing they usually don’t come up 4 floors of stairs, leave stuff at building entrance where They get stolen very quickly unless you are home and you make it down right away to take it
    BigStart28/02/2022 09:28

Delivered to my postcode but tracking details weren’t updated over a week a …Delivered to my postcode but tracking details weren’t updated over a week after due dispatch date so I had no idea to look for it in the building after work or maybe take the morning off to be home knowing the tracking details. I think if it was delivered to my building it was left at building entrance, someone would have taken it for sure. I paid for special Royal Mail delivery, seller posted ups standard certainly not the same, he should use the advertised Service, I wouldn’t have purchased if they used Hermes or ups knowing they usually don’t come up 4 floors of stairs, leave stuff at building entrance where They get stolen very quickly unless you are home and you make it down right away to take it

Hopefully eBay will rule in your favour, keep us posted.

Maybe you should consider Click & Collect option when buying high value items from eBay.
's avatar