Posted 25 September 2021

EBay Scam - Received Empty Box from Seller

Hi just need some advice as I’ve bought an iPhone from eBay which was delivered to the neighbour, when I received and opened the box it’s a bottle of shampoo inside instead of a phone.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with this? I’m currently going through action fraud to report this, does anyone know if I should also report to the police? I read they don’t really look into this and won’t provide a crime ref number.

Also, when I open a case I don’t see the ‘not as described’ option, it only allows me to return for an refund? Does anyone know how I should ‘correctly’ open an case via eBay? I also did not see any option that allow me to call them? Any advices/ suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Community Updates
New Comment

41 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Wow first you send a Laptop back to Amazon and it arrives as an empty box then you receive a bottle of shampoo instead of an iphone from an ebay seller. You must be the most unluckiest person on the planet.
    Rusty8225/09/2021 18:25

Did this person have a lot of positive feedback? And not a newly created …Did this person have a lot of positive feedback? And not a newly created account with little to no feedback? Could your neighbour have switched the items?Not sure about how you go about opening up a case but ebay always side with the buyer.It may be prudent to setup a camera to record you opening packages in the future as a precaution, not that it's guaranteed to help but better than nothing maybe.

Or get it delivered to Argos and open it in front of staff whilst filming it.
    I've been on eBay since the early 2000's. I've bought and sold many items. Sadly, it must be said that in all the years, of buying from all over the world (usa, Canada, Germany, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, France, China, Thailand and Australia).

People from the UK are some of the worst sellers out there. For the following reasons.

Poorly spelt or worded listings,
    Not using an actual picture of the item or stolen stock photos.
    Lying about the working state and condition of items.
    Poor communication skills.
    Insufficient padding and packaging when posting.

You need to be careful when buying on eBay...

Check how long the seller has been on eBay (avoid new sellers with 0 or excessively bad feedback, except from china).

Check the sellers feedback carefully. Look for repeat feedback from 1 or 2 repeat names that might be just to pad bad feedback.

Examine the listing carefully, and read it more than once if there is a lot of text. Scroll to the bottom to make sure there is no hidden or small print.

Examine the pictures very carefully to make sure you know what your buying.

It's also worth messaging the seller to ask questions about items. If you get no response or some vague poorly worded replies, that is an indicator, you might have problems.

When selling items.

Try to take good clear pictures of the item from multiple angles and show any wear or damage.

Make a note of any serial numbers, but don't show them in your pictures or write them in the listing. State you have noted serial numbers to prevent fraud.

Try to be as honest as possible in your listing description. Include info about wear and damage if there is any.

When sending items, try and use plenty of packing and padding to protect the item. if its a game or dvd put some cardboard round the box before just using a plastic mail bag or padded envelope. This will stop pressure marks and dings on the sleave or box.

Ultimately you should treat other people with the same honesty, care, attention and respect, that you would like to receive if the position was reversed.

But unfortunately we seem to live in an angry, selfish post Brexit UK.
    Frustrates me when people blame the seller.

Seller sends a phone.
    Pick one from below....
    Shop he drops the phone off swaps for shampoo.
    Local driver who collects and take to local distribution hub swaps for shampoo.
    Local sorting hub swaps for shampoo.
    Local sorting hub to national hub driver swaps for shampoo.
    Gets swapped for shampoo in national hub.
    Reverse the above for opportunities.
    add, neighbour swaps for shampoo.
    Buyer fancies trying his arm to get a free iPhone.

I am a top rated seller and someone tried this with me over a £80.
    I said I'll report it/courier/situation for the police and requested the seller ask the neighbour for his Full name and address for the report/investigation.
    Oddly, the buyer replied shortly after saying their Son opened the parcel and put the item safe, and all good..

Crazy.

Not saying this is the case with you, but you have to ask yourself why a good seller would bother to put their account at risk to rip someone off in such a way they will lose the buyers money if disputed. It's just not worth the hassle..

I think you will find the real reason is one of the list above, and not the seller wasting your time sending you shampoo..
    Azwipe26/09/2021 01:20

Wow first you send a Laptop back to Amazon and it arrives as an empty box …Wow first you send a Laptop back to Amazon and it arrives as an empty box then you receive a bottle of shampoo instead of an iphone from an ebay seller. You must be the most unluckiest person on the planet.

The op didn’t reply properly to some comments so this situation doesn’t look right to me either.
    RM list the weight, they ask the sender if there’s a battery inside so they don’t mention if there is a battery sticker on package and what shape is the shampoo bottle
    You could open it take the item out, re-seal the package and open it again whilst filming so I can’t see how a video helps? ..
    I had a similar issue a while back.
    I paid for a phone Huawei P40 pro but after paying i looked a bit closer at the pictures posted on listing and realised it can't be that phone.
    I contacted seller 25 mins after paying at about midnight and told them not to send it as it's not the phone they described but they stated that it was too late and they marked it as despatched.
    When I received the phone it was a crappy no name Chinese import.
    I took pictures and sent them to seller via eBay showing the differences.
    The seller ignored my messages.
    After a month and numerous phone calls to eBay I received a refund.
    The seller then decided to contact me and ask for his phone back.
    Needless to say he's still waiting.
    Yours might not be as straight forward but eBay usually takes the side of the buyer.
    jd625/09/2021 19:36

Yeah the seller is based in Scotland so when I called the local police (in …Yeah the seller is based in Scotland so when I called the local police (in England) they've advised me to contact the Scottish police. To my surprise the advisor from Police Scotland took both mine and the seller's details (address on eBay), and said an officer will actually call me back on Tuesday so hopefully this will be looked into properly.

If you're struggling as a last resort, I'm up here so you can send me their address and I'll go and pay them a visit for a small fee

Your comment to me re: royal mail, I agree. Not much chance they have tampered with it to be fair. I've not had one problem with them and I ship everything through them.

You'll get your money back anyway but just a pain in the behind. Ebay is just a show at times, scam after scam. I am tempted to stop using it to be honest as I can't be bothered trying to dodge the scamming minefield every time I buy or sell something.

Wow first you send a Laptop back to Amazon and it arrives as an empty box …Wow first you send a Laptop back to Amazon and it arrives as an empty box then you receive a bottle of shampoo instead of an iphone from an ebay seller. You must be the most unluckiest person on the planet.

That is a remarkable coincidence!
    You need to open a claim with eBay showing reason “as not as described “ that’s if the seller does not accept returns otherwise they will not entertain you found out to my cost ,having found that out and eBay not having any of it because I put the wrong reason in I actually went through my PayPal account listed it as a claim with them and got my money back even though eBay wouldn’t entertain it
    If they need a police report number you are wasting your time they are not interested and fraud alert are useless report it online that way you will get a crime number regardless if it needs a police stamp on it just print the eBay form out put the crime number on it take it to local station and ask them to stamp it just state you have reported it just needs a station stamp to confirm you ain’t asking them to put pen to paper (edited)
    Did this person have a lot of positive feedback? And not a newly created account with little to no feedback? Could your neighbour have switched the items?

Not sure about how you go about opening up a case but ebay always side with the buyer.

It may be prudent to setup a camera to record you opening packages in the future as a precaution, not that it's guaranteed to help but better than nothing maybe.
    Same old story, on eBay.
    I’ve just won an iPad Pro.
    I will record from the second the door knocks record driver and will keep the package in view until I open it.
    Had four or five people to scam me last time I ordered one on eBay.
    eBay seem more receptive to claims when you offer video evidence as proof
    jd625/09/2021 18:47

75+ feedbacks but only 1 as seller, just spoken with ebay and opened a …75+ feedbacks but only 1 as seller, just spoken with ebay and opened a 'not as described' case against the seller, also reported to action fraud

Who was it that delivered it?

Did the package look tampered with in any way?

I usually take a pictures and videos of my packages as a seller. The reason I ask is, it is not uncommon for delivery drivers or those in depots to swap out products, happens all the time. Not saying that happened with you but there is a small chance it wasn't the seller. Proving that is almost impossible though unless both seller and buyer take videos at either end to see if they match up.
    Author
    Myriad25/09/2021 19:04

You could report it to the police and hope they log the report and give …You could report it to the police and hope they log the report and give you a document/case id you can send that to Ebay to reaffirm your case well.But yeah a bit late as suggested I always record opening it on high value items from eBay (and amazon warehouse deals etc)

Yeah the seller is based in Scotland so when I called the local police (in England) they've advised me to contact the Scottish police. To my surprise the advisor from Police Scotland took both mine and the seller's details (address on eBay), and said an officer will actually call me back on Tuesday so hopefully this will be looked into properly.
    jd626/09/2021 10:28

Thanks, can you share the number you’ve contacted eBay with? I know they u …Thanks, can you share the number you’ve contacted eBay with? I know they used to have that option but all I can see now is chat?

I have a concierge button on my contact options.
    I just click that and get straight through.
    Apparently I'm an old timer so I get it.
    Not everyone has it I believe.
    Author
    Rusty8225/09/2021 18:25

Did this person have a lot of positive feedback? And not a newly created …Did this person have a lot of positive feedback? And not a newly created account with little to no feedback? Could your neighbour have switched the items?Not sure about how you go about opening up a case but ebay always side with the buyer.It may be prudent to setup a camera to record you opening packages in the future as a precaution, not that it's guaranteed to help but better than nothing maybe.

75+ feedbacks but only 1 as seller, just spoken with ebay and opened a 'not as described' case against the seller, also reported to action fraud
    Author
    Rusty8225/09/2021 19:00

Who was it that delivered it?Did the package look tampered with in any …Who was it that delivered it?Did the package look tampered with in any way?I usually take a pictures and videos of my packages as a seller. The reason I ask is, it is not uncommon for delivery drivers or those in depots to swap out products, happens all the time. Not saying that happened with you but there is a small chance it wasn't the seller. Proving that is almost impossible though unless both seller and buyer take videos at either end to see if they match up.

I don't believe so, it was a huge layer of tape and cardboard then tape and cardboard again so don't feel it's been opened before. It was via RM, if it's someone like MyHermes I think there is a bigger chance of the parcel being opened by the driver/ depot.
    You could report it to the police and hope they log the report and give you a document/case id you can send that to Ebay to reaffirm your case well.

But yeah a bit late as suggested I always record opening it on high value items from eBay (and amazon warehouse deals etc)
    “I’ve bought an iPhone from eBay which was delivered to the neighbour,“

could it have been your neighbour ???
    jco8326/09/2021 00:20

Comment deleted

No it isn’t. This is why you make use of the money back guarantee. People rip people off in the real world too. That’s a bit dramatic mate
    Author

I’ve had 300 amazon orders and about 20 eBay orders in 2021, you can be sarcastic all you like but I’m not the scammer in either instance
    jd625/09/2021 20:14

The seller has now accepted the return even after continuously claims I’m s …The seller has now accepted the return even after continuously claims I’m scamming him? Does anyone know if now I’d need to send the bottle of shampoo back to him Will he now blame me for sending back the bottle of shampoo?

Yeah you'd need to send everything back as received.
    I thought these sort of scams died down on eBay.

Furthermore, I tend to not purchase such things from eBay no more. I can't be asked for the head ache.
    Did you pay with paypal… is your paypal linked to a credit card… use them if ebay duck… also there is an ebay conierge phone number too
    Author
    TiscaliSurvivor26/09/2021 13:28

Did you pay with paypal… is your paypal linked to a credit card… use them i …Did you pay with paypal… is your paypal linked to a credit card… use them if ebay duck… also there is an ebay conierge phone number too

Yeah I did but it was via a debit card, hopefully eBay can help resolve this, otherwise will have to go through PayPal as you mentioned
    jd625/09/2021 20:14

The seller has now accepted the return even after continuously claims I’m s …The seller has now accepted the return even after continuously claims I’m scamming him? Does anyone know if now I’d need to send the bottle of shampoo back to him Will he now blame me for sending back the bottle of shampoo?

As I understand it, if the seller requested their not as described / incorrect item back, then ebay should send you a return postage label at the sellers cost and you have to return it within a certain number of days.

It might be worth speaking to ebay's support.

Not sure if this is relevant. ebay.co.uk/hel…066
    jd626/09/2021 15:12

Yeah I messaged the seller and he said it was done by mistake and he …Yeah I messaged the seller and he said it was done by mistake and he doesn’t accept returns, therefore he accepted the return but did not provide a return label. He said he’ll call eBay about this, not sure if there is any loophole around this but will also contact eBay just to be safe.

If a seller makes a "mistake" then either he pays to get the item posted back, or says keep it, whether he accepts returns or not.

I would definitely contact ebay.
    jd626/09/2021 14:32

but left feedback to another buyer and called him/ her scammer ( it was a …but left feedback to another buyer and called him/ her scammer ( it was a positive feedback as well).

It was positive feedback because the stupid Ebay system nowadays only allows sellers to leave positive feedback to buyers even if they've had a bad experience. (edited)
    Author
    The seller has now accepted the return even after continuously claims I’m scamming him? Does anyone know if now I’d need to send the bottle of shampoo back to him Will he now blame me for sending back the bottle of shampoo?
    Author
    45673668-AoCjo.jpg
    These are the only options that can be selected
    Author
    bigwheels25/09/2021 18:43

Same old story, on eBay.I’ve just won an iPad Pro.I will record from the s …Same old story, on eBay.I’ve just won an iPad Pro.I will record from the second the door knocks record driver and will keep the package in view until I open it.Had four or five people to scam me last time I ordered one on eBay.eBay seem more receptive to claims when you offer video evidence as proof

Yeah I always avoided any seller with less than 50 feedback and the item was 'buy it now' with a 'normal' price, so I didn't actual suspect it to be a scam to be honest, and the seller was quite responsive previously as well. Guess need to be extra careful and film everything
    Author
    Misslovely26/09/2021 04:14

The op didn’t reply properly to some comments so this situation doesn’t loo …The op didn’t reply properly to some comments so this situation doesn’t look right to me either. RM list the weight, they ask the sender if there’s a battery inside so they don’t mention if there is a battery sticker on package and what shape is the shampoo bottle

The shampoo is 300ml so plus packaging it’s just around 400g which is the weight showing on the RM sticker, there was no return address and no battery sticker, the item was posted via RM 1st Class instead of special delivery so no insurance, tracking provided via eBay was incorrect, need I go on?
    Author
    Uncle_Arthur26/09/2021 00:41

I had a similar issue a while back.I paid for a phone Huawei P40 pro but af …I had a similar issue a while back.I paid for a phone Huawei P40 pro but after paying i looked a bit closer at the pictures posted on listing and realised it can't be that phone.I contacted seller 25 mins after paying at about midnight and told them not to send it as it's not the phone they described but they stated that it was too late and they marked it as despatched.When I received the phone it was a crappy no name Chinese import.I took pictures and sent them to seller via eBay showing the differences.The seller ignored my messages.After a month and numerous phone calls to eBay I received a refund.The seller then decided to contact me and ask for his phone back.Needless to say he's still waiting.Yours might not be as straight forward but eBay usually takes the side of the buyer.

Thanks, can you share the number you’ve contacted eBay with? I know they used to have that option but all I can see now is chat?
    Author
    snapper26/09/2021 09:22

You need to open a claim with eBay showing reason “as not as described “ th …You need to open a claim with eBay showing reason “as not as described “ that’s if the seller does not accept returns otherwise they will not entertain you found out to my cost ,having found that out and eBay not having any of it because I put the wrong reason in I actually went through my PayPal account listed it as a claim with them and got my money back even though eBay wouldn’t entertain itIf they need a police report number you are wasting your time they are not interested and fraud alert are useless report it online that way you will get a crime number regardless if it needs a police stamp on it just print the eBay form out put the crime number on it take it to local station and ask them to stamp it just state you have reported it just needs a station stamp to confirm you ain’t asking them to put pen to paper

Thanks, I’ve opened a case after online chat with eBay and also got a crime ref number from Action Fraud, when contacting local police they’ve asked me to call Scottish police, I’ve got a call from them yesterday evening and they now say I need to open a case with my local police (because even though the address of seller is in Scotland they may be hacking someone else’s account so can be anywhere in the world), so will see how far that takes me.
    Author
    Dealsssssssss26/09/2021 00:57

“I’ve bought an iPhone from eBay which was delivered to the nei …“I’ve bought an iPhone from eBay which was delivered to the neighbour,“could it have been your neighbour ???

No they are a old couple and I’ve known them for years, also the parcel doesn’t seem to be tempered with/ opened when I got it
    jd626/09/2021 10:26

The shampoo is 300ml so plus packaging it’s just around 400g which is the w …The shampoo is 300ml so plus packaging it’s just around 400g which is the weight showing on the RM sticker, there was no return address and no battery sticker, the item was posted via RM 1st Class instead of special delivery so no insurance, tracking provided via eBay was incorrect, need I go on?

Have you checked the sellers other items to see if they also sold the shampoo recently?

The seller may have mixed up the labels prior to dispatching.

Lucky outcome for the shampoo buyer if that is the case as I doubt they's report wrong item sent!
    Author
    Judge-Jury-Executioner26/09/2021 13:39

Have you checked the sellers other items to see if they also sold the …Have you checked the sellers other items to see if they also sold the shampoo recently?The seller may have mixed up the labels prior to dispatching.Lucky outcome for the shampoo buyer if that is the case as I doubt they's report wrong item sent!

No shampoo sold lol, he did sell another iPhone a few weeks ago (different colour/ capacity) and received no feedback, but left feedback to another buyer and called him/ her scammer ( it was a positive feedback as well).
    Author
    melted26/09/2021 15:10

As I understand it, if the seller requested their not as described / …As I understand it, if the seller requested their not as described / incorrect item back, then ebay should send you a return postage label at the sellers cost and you have to return it within a certain number of days.It might be worth speaking to ebay's support. Not sure if this is relevant. https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/returns-refunds/start-return/return-postage?id=4066

Yeah I messaged the seller and he said it was done by mistake and he doesn’t accept returns, therefore he accepted the return but did not provide a return label. He said he’ll call eBay about this, not sure if there is any loophole around this but will also contact eBay just to be safe.

Hmmmmm
    Chiptivo27/09/2021 10:20

Frustrates me when people blame the seller. Seller sends a phone. Pick one …Frustrates me when people blame the seller. Seller sends a phone. Pick one from below....Shop he drops the phone off swaps for shampoo. Local driver who collects and take to local distribution hub swaps for shampoo.Local sorting hub swaps for shampoo.Local sorting hub to national hub driver swaps for shampoo. Gets swapped for shampoo in national hub. Reverse the above for opportunities. add, neighbour swaps for shampoo. Buyer fancies trying his arm to get a free iPhone. I am a top rated seller and someone tried this with me over a £80. I said I'll report it/courier/situation for the police and requested the seller ask the neighbour for his Full name and address for the report/investigation. Oddly, the buyer replied shortly after saying their Son opened the parcel and put the item safe, and all good.. Crazy. Not saying this is the case with you, but you have to ask yourself why a good seller would bother to put their account at risk to rip someone off in such a way they will lose the buyers money if disputed. It's just not worth the hassle.. I think you will find the real reason is one of the list above, and not the seller wasting your time sending you shampoo..

I agree that there is plenty of scope for someone other than the seller to have substituted it, but the OP does mention this seller has only 1 feedback as a seller, so risking his account might not be a big issue: hotukdeals.com/com…857

Also the OP states somewhere that the tracking number supplied to ebay was wrong, and the Iphone was apparently sent first class with no additional insurance.
's avatar