Posted 2 days ago

Electricity board want to do work on a looped supply any advice

Got this letter through the door and don't know what to make of it should I tell them no thank you or does it need doing 4327799-qM8Zq.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    They've explained why they want to do it, why would you say no thank you.
    For the small inconvienience I think it's worth getting it done. Is it mandatory? No, however they do own everything up to you property so the work may end being carried out anyway - especially if your neighbour agrees!
    You may find that it's your neighbour that has triggered this letter.

It might be that they have requested to connect an EV charger, and after applied to the DNO they have discovered its a looped service.

If this is the case, you may want to consider how this affects your neighbours too, especially if you don't mind the disruption.

There should be no cost to you, but I would make sure they restore it back to how it was, so ensure you take clear photos before and after the works.

It's far from ideal if you have a nice drive (Resin etc), as I'm not sure how well they can put it back how it was originally..

It might be different works depending if you are the first or second within the loop, so again be clear as to what works are required.
    Author
    Ye back from holiday and noticed next door suddenly has a electric car so it'll be that then. I'll just say crack on as from what I've read majority of work is done outside unsure what they do inside :/
    Yes definitely let them upgrade your supply cable. It will probably benefit you in the future. 
    There is only one downside and that is if you are a criminal and regularly bypass the meter.
    With a looped supply they cannot disconnect you as it would also turn your neighbour off. 
    Once they upgrade you to an individual supply any illegal activities with your electric and they can cut you off in the street if you refused to allow them access to your property. 
    Obviously not an issue for 99.999% of us. 
    Got a grow? Tell them no!
    Are you ever going to install a heat pump or electric vehicle charger?

If not then no work needs to be done unless you want to consider the value of your house when/if you ever sell it, providing you own it.

Other than that the only other considerations are:
    Is it mandatory?
    How will it effect your neighbours if you opt out & therefor stop them from upgrading?
    Is the full cost really paid for by them?
    Are they going to fully restore your property to the original condition or better?
    How much disruption are you going to have to put up with?

The only things I would personally worry about is the cost, making good & disruption. (edited)
    The other possible consideration would be, if the OP does have the option of declining, whether this would (negatively) affect him in the future - for example, there may come a time that he buys an EV and then needs this work done and ENWL advise, based on his previous rejection, he has to pay for it.

Also, if the OP does go for it, I would take pictures of the condition of the areas that will be affected by the works beforehand as well as a meter reading with photographic evidence. (edited)
    Nothing to lose, but property price could be impacted....

If it was a faulty meter giving you reduced bills (hate it, but that would be fraud if you knew about it!) however just to change the cable? Not sure why you would say no
    Author
    Didn't know if anywhere on here has had it done and what it entails
    This is normal practice. A looped supply (cable coming from your neighbours and not directly from the mains cable in the street outside) is, in a practical sense, not ideal as access to your neighbours would be necessary should you have an issue on this looped supply. EV charging points are being installed in big numbers at the moment and it's a case of getting ahead of the curve in terms of connection of these (edited)
    Seems a no brainer to me tbh. Not everything is a conspiracy
    Author
    Didn't think it was conspiracy lol just didn't know what it even was
    If you ever plan on solar this will have a big impact on your export capacity, I'd do it.
's avatar