Posted 17 hours ago

End of Nissan Leaf Lease

My wife Leased a Leaf through Nissan for a 3 year period and her car was picked up this afternoon. Nissan organised a company called RCI (Manheim Vehicle Services) to carry out an inspection & collection (I believe they also inspect for Renault & Dacia). We have leased other cars without problem but I could not believe what the guy who visited came up with on the report after about 90 minutes and announced he thinks that Nissan will be asking for over £1800 from what he has found.

The car has never been in an accident and although as expected you will see some fine scratches if you looked hard there was nothing deep at all. There was a scuff on one alloy and plastic on the wing mirror had been clipped at some point .... hands up prepared to accept these. They are supposed to work on fair wear & tear.

Whe I asked the guy to show me the issues he actually had to refer to his tablet to find most of what he had noted down as he could not see them !! He said that there was a dent in the bonnet .... we could not see it at all !!

It felt like those stories you hear about when returning a car to unscrupulous car rental companies abroad.

I took a video of the car both yesterday and again after he gave us his inspection opinion.

We signed to say we did not agree with the inspection and await contact from them. Has anybody had experience of this practice before? Any advice as to what to do going forward would be appreciated too. Thanks.
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If the leaseco was member of BVRLA there is a complaints procedure if you disagree with the assessment. The leaseco should have sent you their returns policy and what the will accept as fair wear and tear. From previous returns to BMW I would expect to be charged for the wheel rim and the mirror. With BMW there was a fixed tariff for common small damage, I seem to remember it was £100 per rim. Start with the leaseco policy and go from there
    bvrla.co.uk/res…tml
    Lease company probably got the inspector to up the amount of faults to make up for the shortfall on what you've paid vs what the Leaf is now worth. It's well known that these cars have sunk in value like a stone.
    One of the perils of leasing ?
's avatar