Posted 7 hours ago

Energy prices "going down" from today is a joke because you pay more in standing charges

What a big CON. Electricity daily standing charge shot upto over 63p per day. I was paying 49.3p per day for the 1st quarter of 2024
Community Updates
New Comment

40 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It's basically a stealth tax as they won't be making a shed load of money from you in the warmer months as no one has the fire on. (edited)
    Author
    It's basically because the people who do pay their energy bills regularly and on time have got to pay/make up for the shortfall of those who didn't pay and fell into debt. Ridiculous!!
    I got lucky and took out the Octopus fixed rate.
    This was before they noticed their mistake.
    They put the price down, but forgot to put standing charges up.
    52500423-WfISh.jpg
    Author
    You've basically won the lottery (as good as). Lol!
    and all the headlines saying we're saving loads. Funny enough they said practically everything else is going up however on the good news, energy prices are dropping.

No [insert word] sherlock we've just hit British Summer Time, ain't no one gonna have heating/lighting on 24/7 now lol. (edited)
    Ironically, high standing charges also make a mockery of low consumption households, especially those who consume less out of financial necessity.
    Yep, that is the real scandal.
    So, your standing charge has gone up £50 a year.

How much has your elect & gas gone down?
    Author
    A few 0.00 pennies. The standing charge increase cancels out any unit costs savings, infact I'm sure over the year it works out more costly
    I hope you made your opinion known during the public consultation that ended recently.
    Well, I'm on octopus tracker
    So far i've saved money
    I should be saving even more as the rates have gone down
    Perhaps have a look at octopus tracker
    how long does it take to get onto the tariff. I've applied a month ago not heard anything.
    If you do not like standing charges you can switch to a provider that has a tariff that doesn't charge them.

They are not plentiful, but they exist.

Funny thing is though people often get cold feet when they realise the unit rate is higher (or high for the first few units and then normal price).
    I've looked high and low for a tariff
    With no standing charges for
    a empty property (edited)
    What is point of OFGEN or OFWAT ?
    To ensure shareholders continue to get paid.
's avatar