Posted 9 May 2023

EV Charger - Simpson & Partner vs. Andersen or other?

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for an EV car charger!

Moving to an EV shortly and want something which looks good so currently eyeing up either the S&P or Andersen EV chargers.
Anyone with any experience of either one? or if there was any that was particularly recommended?

Just a couple of things:
  • Dont see us getting solar so its not a priority
  • Tethered vs untethered - any thoughts on this? happy with either!

Thanks all!
Community Updates
New Comment

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Definitely tether.
    Pita getting cable in and out.
    How much mileage would you be doing daily?
    I used a granny charger for 2 years.
    Have handed the car back now.
    Never missed a 7kw charger because I did low mileage and topped up every night. (edited)
    Author
    Going to be used by a couple of EV cars - daily wont be too much in all honesty and have been using a granny charger a little but found it not useful enough. (ended up going to the local council lamp post chargers which are reasonably priced!)
    octopus.energy/get…er/

Don't know if this is any use where you can use their cheap tariffs. I was looking at one time with salary sacrifice, but didn't like any EV cars....
    I bought hypervolt tethered, mainly because it looked the best and had potential for solar in future, I don't have panels now.

If looks are not so important to you, I think maybe the ohme as it has the intelligent tariff stuff from octopus and isn't too expensive.

Whoever you choose make sure you find someone who will supply EIC and part P. As there were a few I spoke to who don't do this.
    I use a Hypervolt charger myself, although the Anderson is a nice looking bit of kit.

I would 100% suggest you go for tethered. Also over estimate the length of charge cable you need. I wish i had gone for the 10m with mine as with the standard 5m i have to reverse the car on to the drive way for charging. Something i am looking at changing.

The reason i went for the hypervolt 3 years ago is mainly beacuse the app functionality was really good, setting charging schedules, it has analytics and energy usuage info as well if you are into that type of thing. I am sure this is all standard stuff these days to be honest. Hypervolt also qualified for the Ozev grant if that scheme is still going.
    Which one did you end up going for? Andersen or Simpson?

I’m stuck between the two.
    Author
    Sorry i didnt see this.

Eventually i got a Simpson and Partners charger. Tbh there may be plenty more aspects of it i dont use but works well and no issues so far!
    Simpson & Partner are the original Anderson team aren't they, Anderson was going bankrupt (nearly leaving customers high and dry) so they sold it off and started a new company.
's avatar