Posted 31 December 2023

Expensive monitor now or wait

So im well aware that tech gets outdated by the time youve installed it but my plan is to finally replace my PC just as GTA6 releases (assuming i havent died of old age before then) and get an s tier one at that.

However right now i need a pc monitor for work and some low instensity games (e.g. planet coaster). Should i get an s tier monitor now assuming they wont progress too much by mid 2025 (the expected GTA release date) or just get a basic one now? Fyi for s tier im thinking Samsung Odyssey G9.

All thoughts appreciated
Community Updates
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Have you actually seen a G9 in the flesh? My friend has one, and while it's maybe something you'd get used to, I consider it very much the other sort of s-tier. The curve feels weird, your voice sounds weird when you speak around it, and while it can be considered super-wide, because you really need to sit back a bit to make the super-wide usable, it really just feels like a big display that's had half its height cut away. Besides all that, the panel itself doesn't look particularly nice, and the distortion inherent in curved displays is just a bit off-putting.

That aside, isn't mid-2025 the console release date? Iirc, the PC release date won't be for another year. Re monitors though, I think it's difficult. I ended up just giving up waiting last year and plumped for a pair of 32" 4k 144Hz IPS panels, since it seems it'll be a long while yet before techs like OLED are entirely viable, even when they are available. The display industry seems much more interested in the TV and mobile markets, and we're just kinda getting their scraps as and when. If I wanted a display for top-tier gaming, I'd personally just go for a high-end TV, especially now that techs like low-latency 144Hz+ are becoming mainstream among that market.
    Well CES is just round the corner. Why not wait and see what new tech is coming out?
    Author
    Cheers both. Im thinking if the range of OLED out now isnt going to change much in a year then i will go for it.
's avatar