Posted 15 December 2023

Help transferring data to new laptop

The battery has suddenly died on my windows 10 laptop so have just bought a windows 11 one from deal on here.
Please can someone tell me how to make an exact mirror image of my original laptop.
My knowledge is very limited so please can someone either point me to a reliable website or tell me how to do it.
Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

29 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    We need to know more.
    Do you backup your data/files regularly? ('m guessing not) Are all your data items/files/photos etc held in a logical/structured way? Or, in other words, can you find everything with ease - you know exactly where everything is on your hard drive?
    Who provides you with email services? In what way do you access your emails? Do have a smartphone and use it to access your emails? Do you have a Microsoft account?
    Other than your ISP who do you spend money with for IT services and what are they?
    Once we have these answers then we can suggest the best way to proceed, but as somebody else said a period of dual running is a good idea. Oh and too late now, I know, but buying a replacement battery might have been better and also having a written strategy and plan all ready for when this sort of thing happens. (edited)
    The dreadfully-titled
    AOMEI Backupper Pro
    can clone & restore according to comparison table referenced below,
    and that Pro version is currently zero-cost via a HUKD deal at
    hotukdeals.com/dea…811

ubackup.com/fre…tml
    I would avoid a blind cloning - the new laptop is a nice, clean machine and the only thing that should be moved is data.
    There is literally no easy way to do what you want- and this is by design. It is against Microsoft's commercial interests to allow normal people proper control over their home PCs.

MS wants you to do everything in 'the cloud' and pay yearly for doing so. Then your data is (theoretically) independent of your hardware, and carries across to any new kit you may buy.

If you can learn a little, most of the data you wish to transfer can be moved (via a USB memory stick) from one machine to another. Or you could try to set up a cloud account, and sync your data between the two machines.

It should not be like this. It need not be like this. But, sadly, it is (maybe it's better on Apple's ecosystem). For normies, it is a nightmare. For those of us with tech understanding, we never allow our data to become machine dependent, and we never rely on MS's horrid apps. Portable software, wherever possible, is the way to go.

With stuff like printer settings, try having both machines running and try to duplicate the settings on the new machine.
    Author
    I was dreading a reply like this. I’m not sure but I think I have Cloud but if I do it isn’t a version I have paid for unless it’s included with Microsoft office or such like.
    Where would I learn how to transfer the data by usb?
    Would all my excel and office documents reappear when I log in to office on new pc?
    If busted-battery lappy doesn't boot then its drive will need to be removed and either dumped in a caddy or PC, then / otherwise an entire
    "clone to dissimilar hardware"
    can be accomplished by numerous free or paid commercial software,
    where "dissimilar" consideration is critical otherwise the original operating system may object to unexpected hardware when dumped onto a new (dissimilar) device's drive.
    Explaining why this is critical would be very dull, it just "is".

Probably best to bypass any limitations of freebie solutions as one of the best commercial cloning options is strangely zero-cost and zero-restriction in boot disk format direct from the developer:
    Acronis bootdisk (about 650MB in ISO format) at dl.acronis.com/s/A…iso

Simplistic summary procedure for most / all cloning solutions:
    create image of old device's drive
    reinstate content of image on new device's drive.
    Will need to readup on any solutions' procedures as too rambling for an already rambling post.
    The old MS W10 licence on new hardware may not be liked by MS licencing - depends on the source W10 variant.

Assuming no restrictive security on donor device...
    could alternatively:
    manually copy data files no issue;
    similarly manually copy browser profile(s) to retain bookmarks, passwords, etc.
    Not sure what OP means by "printer settings" so don't know if unknown settings can be easily copied/restored.
    Author
    It still runs whilst plugged in but despite being on charge it shows zero battery life.
    Author
    Hi. I will try to answer all your questions. Unfortunately backup was one of the jobs on my list when I got struck with cancer so it didn’t happen.
    I think a version of cloud backs up but I don’t know what data.
    Most of my photos are old ones of my son when he was young so they are in folders.
    Files haven’t been changed since I set this laptop up. I don’t do much on it apart from emails, eBay odd document and excel spreadsheets.
    Email is through Google on laptop only although I do have a separate Google email that isn’t linked on my iPhone.
    I have a Microsoft account with a couple of extra years set up on it when there was an offer on.
    I pay annually for avast antivirus which is managed by a company that bought out my son’s business years ago. I don’t think I have any other IT services.
    I didn’t think the battery was replaceable because it’s built in.
    I do have the option to upgrade my windows 10 to windows 11 on laptop as long as battery will keep running whilst plugged in.
    Thanks
    Data should be simple c&p.
    Email is through Google
    is assumed to mean Gmail accessed via (any) web browser, so not relevant to any copy-to-new-machine consideration, presumably similar with MS a/c.
    Avast AV isn't required, so don't bother with it, or have the "managed by a company" company install&configure to degrade the new machine's performance. Nice.
    Could c&p your browsers' profiles if you want to retain web bookmarks, pw, etc.

Built-in bat is unlikely not to be replaceable, but likely of no relevance now.
    It’s a Lenovo V15ADA

Assuming batt = L16L2PB2:
    say about £25 inc VAT upwards,
    plus about 5min 13seconds labour to fit,
    and good luck trying to find a flexible tech that charges part-hour.

Random generic L16L2PB2 example at about £27 fulfilled-Amazon via the 5% discount checkbox not mentioned on Keepa:
    keepa.com/
    Author
    That’s not too bad. Would hopefully be able to find a you tube video showing me how to change it. At least this way I could run both old and new alongside each other and transfer everything once I feel more up to it. Will still keep the hp one I have bought because husband got all excited when he found out he could buy it for me for Christmas. Can’t disappoint him no lol (edited)
    I don't mean to appear condescending so I apologise in advance if my reply comes across that way but I think you need to pay someone or ask a more tech savvy friend to help you move the data from the old laptop to the new one.
    With the best will in the world any reply you get explaining what to do is only going to confuse you more.
    Author
    I think u r right about that. My brother always used to be able to dial in to my laptop/pc and sort me out. Really miss them days now.
    Isn't swapping the old hard drive into the new laptop an option?
    yes it is an option (providing the architecture is not significantly different). The OP would then need to establish a strategy of what to do whenever the new laptop lets him down in the future - to avoid a similar exercise.
    Assuming battery = L16L2PB2: say about £25 inc VAT upwards, plus about 5min 13seconds labour to fit
    That’s not too bad. Would hopefully be able to find a you tube video showing me how to change it.

The suggested 5mins 13secs to change battery is directly lifted from realtime vid below.
    Personally I would have dropped the occasional frame so that the headline title could include
    ... change battery in less than 5 minutes

youtube.com/wat…jXU

Check if model & simple multiple screw fixings is similar to yours, and if so:
    prudent to remove rear panel to check batt model number prior to any order.

Not much to go wrong unless the have-a-go-hero competent technician cannot operate a screwdriver without attacking other parts of lappy.
    ... and note the cable appears to be simple push fitting (gentle pull/wiggle removal).
    if you make an exact image of your old computer and put it onto your new computer all you will achieve is putting win10, all your programs and config data plus your data/files onto a win11 capable machine. Are you sure this is what you want? Or do you just need your data copied over?
    Author
    Understand what u r saying. I need all my emails, photos, etc. I assume all my saved passwords will be saved through Google.
    Author
    Also things like printer settings.
's avatar