Posted 30 March 2022

House of fraser refund refused.

just went into house of fraser bought 3 things,asked if store price was same as online. Was told yes and got overcharged £15. Queried it and was told i could recieve a credit not. Spoke to the manager who said i could have a credit note or nothing. walked out with a credit note,i told him vou cant give a credit not for a overcharge,he said they could. im 100% sure they cant do this.
had to walk out,was going to hit the roof.

Is this right ?
Community Updates
New Comment

38 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    No automatic right to refund related to no-defect on-premises purchase but the OPs scenario is an interesting twist on the concept of pre-sale specification relating to "not as described".
    NAD usually refers to product quality, not price comparison, but if the price comparison concept is accepted by the trader or can credibly shown to be part of a conditional sale then yes: the consumer has the right of rejection for refund.
    If the trader denies any such pre-sales statement then it is likely difficult to obtain the required outcome.

A full refund would have been available if purchased off-premises.
    farmeruk130/03/2022 15:00

I knew the price in my head,as soon as wife popped card in machine i asked …I knew the price in my head,as soon as wife popped card in machine i asked the assistant to clarify the price of each item by then my wife had entererd her pin...

farmeruk130/03/2022 15:04

Also used CC can i claim the refund from CC company ??

The description above indicates the transaction was not a conditional sale and additionally implies not a conditional sale to the payment card accountholder, in which case for both scenarios there is nothing to refund.

Regardless, S75 does not apply and the credit provider would not consider a chargeback claim from anybody other than the accountholder, where the accountholder is implied to be wifey not OP, unless wifey is using additional card on OPs credit account.
    farmeruk130/03/2022 19:27

Going to put a claim in for £15 on barclays. Overcharged,its a creditcard. …Going to put a claim in for £15 on barclays. Overcharged,its a creditcard. Credit shouldn't be used when uneeded. Should not be paying credit on a overcharge. Shoumd be refunded,as its in best intrest of all parties. Am prepared to fight this of necessary.

You cannot claim a refund back because the store charged you what the price in store listed as being. Your wife agreed to pay that price - she input her PIN without duress. You also have got a refund albeit in the form now of a gift receipt - so you want to double refund?

Isnt that now theft?
    dipsylalapo30/03/2022 14:12

Without trying to justify HoF. Consumers need to start waking up and do a …Without trying to justify HoF. Consumers need to start waking up and do a bit of research for stuff like this. You could have saved yourself the pain by literally taking 2 mins out and checking yourself.

Like so many other areas of modern life, people just don't seem to take responsibility for their mistakes nowadays.

I've made some really silly mistakes in my time, even now - it doesn't take me too much introspection to realise that it was my fault - best approach is to acknowledge, learn and move on.
    deleted190177930/03/2022 19:31

You were not overcharged.You were charged the advertised price.

OP has proved my point above.
    Smart phones, yes. Smart users, not yet. Sense of entitlement - sky high. (edited)
    dipsylalapo31/03/2022 08:54

So despite getting a credit note, you're still doing a chargeback....good …So despite getting a credit note, you're still doing a chargeback....good on you

Brilliant, let us all know how that fraud goes
    farmeruk131/03/2022 02:02

Once assistant said online prices are the same instore,all your arguments …Once assistant said online prices are the same instore,all your arguments are put rhe window. Regardless rather than ruin my holiday and get artested i took the credit note.

how would the assistant know the online price, do you have proof they said those exact words?

If you are trying to do a chargeback you will be committing fraud.
    Sorry OP you are in the wrong, store prices don't have to match online. The credit note was a goodwill gesture from the manager.

If that's not what you wanted then you should have found the assistant who told you prices were the same and got them to refund for lying to you. Unless you recorded the conversation or have in print, you have no proof it happened and no right to any refund whatsoever.

Seeking money back from your credit card provider at this point will fail unless the case is misrepresented/misunderstood.

Did you point out to the manager and identify the person who mislead you? That would be your best course of action. (edited)

Once assistant said online prices are the same instore,all your arguments …Once assistant said online prices are the same instore,all your arguments are put rhe window. Regardless rather than ruin my holiday and get artested i took the credit note.

So why are you trying to change the outcome now? The horse has bolted, move on in life

Going to put a claim in for £15 on barclays. Overcharged,its a creditcard. …Going to put a claim in for £15 on barclays. Overcharged,its a creditcard. Credit shouldn't be used when uneeded. Should not be paying credit on a overcharge. Shoumd be refunded,as its in best intrest of all parties. Am prepared to fight this of necessary.

So despite getting a credit note, you're still doing a chargeback....good on you

If attempting to enforce a chargeback you will need to make the sale appear conditional (to another price source), so do not present the CCC with the same description of the sale that you stated earlier in the thread as that description does not satisfy conditional.

Best outcome you may expect based on the sale description stated earlier is offer of goodwill.
    How did they manage to overcharge you?

Did you pick up items and weren't aware of the cost until it showed up on your bank statement? Did you do your own due diligence?

Surely at some point, you realised that "hey, this is cheaper online?"

Without trying to justify HoF. Consumers need to start waking up and do a bit of research for stuff like this. You could have saved yourself the pain by literally taking 2 mins out and checking yourself. (edited)
    You did well to get anything.

You were not overcharged.
    You were charged the advertised price.
    deleted278710530/03/2022 22:52

I know I just summed up a load of waffle in one line….trying to save p …I know I just summed up a load of waffle in one line….trying to save people some time.

Summed up with no solution = wasted time
    Online prices do not need to be reflected in-store.
    and they wonder why people prefer to buy online than instore.
    Author
    AndyRoyd30/03/2022 18:56

The description above indicates the transaction was not a conditional sale …The description above indicates the transaction was not a conditional sale and additionally implies not a conditional sale to the payment card accountholder, in which case for both scenarios there is nothing to refund.Regardless, S75 does not apply and the credit provider would not consider a chargeback claim from anybody other than the accountholder, where the accountholder is implied to be wifey not OP, unless wifey is using additional card on OPs credit account.

Going to put a claim in for £15 on barclays. Overcharged,its a creditcard. Credit shouldn't be used when uneeded. Should not be paying credit on a overcharge. Shoumd be refunded,as its in best intrest of all parties. Am prepared to fight this of necessary.
    AndyRoyd30/03/2022 22:51

As stated in the post that you quoted.

I know I just summed up a load of waffle in one line….trying to save people some time.
    Author
    Once assistant said online prices are the same instore,all your arguments are put rhe window. Regardless rather than ruin my holiday and get artested i took the credit note. (edited)
    IAmATeaf31/03/2022 05:54

No refunds only credit notes is the rule for all Ashley based stores. I …No refunds only credit notes is the rule for all Ashley based stores. I got caught out with this years ago, got a winter coat for my young son, got the coat home to find it was damaged, went to return it and even though they didn’t have a replacement they would only give me a credit note.Used to shop there a lot but that after this incident we stopped shopping there unless we absolutely have to.

For faulty goods, they have to refund unless they can prove you are to blame
    House of Ashley
    I'd like to see this not you keep speaking off?
    Jeezo, can we start a go fund me for the guys £15?
    Author

How did they manage to overcharge you? Did you pick up items and weren't …How did they manage to overcharge you? Did you pick up items and weren't aware of the cost until it showed up on your bank statement? Did you do your own due diligence?Surely at some point, you realised that "hey, this is cheaper online?"Without trying to justify HoF. Consumers need to start waking up and do a bit of research for stuff like this. You could have saved yourself the pain by literally taking 2 mins out and checking yourself.

I already knew the prices online,and.also perfictly asked if in store was the same. It was the plymouth sto
    re,i usually shop in the bristol.store.and whenever i have i ha e bought anything there the price always gives oine price of cheaper. Plymouth obviously hasn't or doesn't use this method.
    Author

How did they manage to overcharge you? Did you pick up items and weren't …How did they manage to overcharge you? Did you pick up items and weren't aware of the cost until it showed up on your bank statement? Did you do your own due diligence?Surely at some point, you realised that "hey, this is cheaper online?"Without trying to justify HoF. Consumers need to start waking up and do a bit of research for stuff like this. You could have saved yourself the pain by literally taking 2 mins out and checking yourself.

I knew the price in my head,as soon as wife popped card in machine i asked the assistant to clarify the price of each item by then my wife had entererd her pin. I bought some items offline saturday and items were wrong size so sent them back. And rather than pay for delivery decided i try items on then pay.
    I said straight away,you have overcharged us.

I believe its there fault for not having items correctly priced,and so therefore by given a partial refund. (edited)
    Author
    Also used CC can i claim the refund from CC company ??
    Author
    deleted419730/03/2022 15:04

Online prices do not need to be reflected in-store.

But i asked before the purchase and was told instore same price.
    farmeruk130/03/2022 15:16

But i asked before the purchase and was told instore same price.

No visible price tags on items? (edited)
    Author
    EN1GMA30/03/2022 17:10

and they wonder why people prefer to buy online than instore.

I would agree;but ordered next day delivery,2 days later.......... was quicker to get 2 trains and travel 30 miles lol.
    AndyRoyd30/03/2022 14:15

No automatic right to refund related to no-defect on-premises purchase but …No automatic right to refund related to no-defect on-premises purchase but the OPs scenario is an interesting twist on the concept of pre-sale specification relating to "not as described".NAD usually refers to product quality, not price comparison, but if the price comparison concept is accepted by the trader or can credibly shown to be part of a conditional sale then yes: the consumer has the right of rejection for refund.If the trader denies any such pre-sales statement then it is likely difficult to obtain the required outcome.A full refund would have been available if purchased off-premises.

Problem is different legislation covering online vs in store.
    deleted278710530/03/2022 22:36

As stated in the post that you quoted.
    deleted278710530/03/2022 22:36

That's because you're meant to inspect goods and terms of sale yourself, when you buy in person you can see what you're getting and you're happy with the price you're paying at the time. This is old school trading.

Online is a different beast, as you don't see the goods until they arrive at your door. So that's why the legislation is different. And won't ever be changed to the same as shopping in person. (edited)
    No refunds only credit notes is the rule for all Ashley based stores. I got caught out with this years ago, got a winter coat for my young son, got the coat home to find it was damaged, went to return it and even though they didn’t have a replacement they would only give me a credit note.

Used to shop there a lot but that after this incident we stopped shopping there unless we absolutely have to.
    IAmATeaf31/03/2022 05:54

No refunds only credit notes is the rule for all Ashley based stores. I got …No refunds only credit notes is the rule for all Ashley based stores. I got caught out with this years ago, got a winter coat for my young son, got the coat home to find it was damaged, went to return it and even though they didn’t have a replacement they would only give me a credit note.Used to shop there a lot but that after this incident we stopped shopping there unless we absolutely have to.

I'm not sure about this, my House Of Fraser Outlet which now closed down, refunded me on bank account when they overcharged me, instantly. This was on the last day instore, they unfortunately couldn't perform the simple maths of additional discount on items and so overcharged me on item, but no fuss went back instantly with receipt and items and said and refunded no questions This was Mike Ashley owned

Maybe try speak to them on Twitter, usually works, include receipt, and items etc, say what happened and you would like a refund, nothing like bad publicity for companies, tends to work when i have problems with other retailers (edited)
    Author
    Prefer paypal.
's avatar