Posted 15 June 2010

How do I sell to CEX

Hi - I have never used CEX before - can I just turn up at a shop and sell my mobile phone for cash? Do you get money straight away or do they send them off?

rep will be left for any help - thanx
Community Updates
How do I sell to CeX?

CeX stores buy, sell and exchange a range of technology and entertainment products including mobile phones, video games, DVDs and Blu-ray movies, computers, digital electronics, TVs and monitors, and music CDs. We’ll take a look selling items at CeX stores across the country and online:

How much will I get for selling my items to CeX?
Whether you are sellingin-store or online your items will be ‘graded’ by the CeX team in the same way. These grades are based on their cosmetic condition, their functionality and any accessories that they come with. The CeX website states that they grade products in the following way:

“All phones, tablets and hardware (excluding consoles) are graded as one of the following:

• A Mint - Product in mint/new condition with original box and all original accessories.
  • B Good - Product in good condition with all essential accessories. No box required.
  • C Working - Product in poor condition and fully working with all essential accessories. No box required.
  • F Non-working - (Applicable for Phones and iPads only). Product must be intact and not crushed, bent, or snapped. Passes IMEI check, No accessories required. All Apple products must have the iCloud account deactivated. Non-working examples: Dead, cracked, water damage, broken/bleeding LCD (screen), not powering up, speaker/mic faults, broken aerial, etc.
Games consoles are graded as one of the following:

• Boxed - Good to Mint Condition. All essential accessories. Original, first party controller of matching colour. Official box with all inserts to ensure safe transit.
  • Unboxed - As above, just without the box.
  • Discounted - Any condition but must be fully working. Chips, dents and scratches acceptable providing function is not impeded. All essential accessories, any controller. Box not required.
*some consoles may come with additional non-essential accessories. If a console does come with additional accessories, it will be mentioned in the product name/description.”

SELLING IN-STORE
To sell in store you will need an account to become a CeX seller. There are two types of CeX membership and both are free. You will need to go decide which one suits you best:

An Exchange Membership allows you to trade-in your items (excluding mobile phones and electronic items). You do not need to take in any ID for this, just your name and postcode will do. You will also not be able to sell for cash with and Exchange Membership, but you can get CeX vouchers for your trade-ins.

A Full Membership allows to to sell any of your items for cash or CeX vouchers. You must be over 16 years of age. In England, Wales or NI, You will need to bring ONE valid form of ID:

• Current Signed Passport
  • EU National Identity Card
  • Current UK photocard Driving Licence (full/provisional)
  • Police/Armed Forces Warrant Card
  • DWP Benefit Book or Card
  • Utility Bill (not more than 6 months old)
  • A current bank/credit union/building society/credit card statement (not more than 6 months old)
In Scotland, for all trade-ins you must be at least 16 years old and present proof of address dated within the last 30 days, plus bring ONE of these forms of ID:

• Valid Passport
  • UK Photo Drivers License (full/provisional)
  • EU Identity card
  • Police or Armed Forces Warrant card
  • Young Scot card bearing the "PASS" logo
How long does it take to get my item(s) graded in store?
When you take your item in to CeX the store assistants will tell you how long it will take to get it tested and graded. It will depend on how busy the store is as to how long this will take.

After the item has been graded, CeX will then offer you a price for your goods, if you don’t wish to accept this price then you will have your items returned.

How does CeX determine the price they have offered me for my item(s)?
The prices that CeX set are based on many factors including market trends and economic factors and they regularly change to reflect these.

How will I get paid for my items?
In store, you can be paid for selling your items in cash, by CeX vouchers or by bank transfer. The bank transfer will usually be paid into your within one working day.

SELLING ONLINE
CeX online operates through webuy.com. In order to buy and sell on webuy.com you need to create an account. You can do this by clicking the Sign Up option at the top of the home page. A webuy.com membership is not the same as a store membership and is not transferable between the two.

How do I send my items to Cex online?
CeX provide two ways in which you can send your items Free of Charge:

• Royal Mail Freepost (R48)
  • Collect+
They will provide you with a shipping label that you print and attach to your packaged item, then take it to the delivery collection point you have chosen. It is up to you to ensure that your item is suitably packaged for delivery.

Will my items be insured when I send them?
They are insured up to a maximum of £100, if your item is worth more then you will need to pay for a different service, such as Royal Mail Special Delivery, to ensure they are correctly insured.

How long do I have to send my items once I’ve placed my order?
You have 10 days to send your items to Cex, after this time they may cancel your order and you’ll have to start a new one.

How long will it take for CeX to grade my items once I’ve sent them?
Cex state that they will endeavour to test your items as soon as they receive them and payments should be made within one week.

How will I receive payment for my item?
You can choose from the following payment methods:

• PayPal
  • Cheque
  • CeX Voucher
  • Bank Transfer (FPS)
What happens if CeX do not want the items I have sent?
You can choose to have your items returned to you for free, or let CeX recycle them for you.

Are there any alternatives to CeX?
Yes, there are many other places you can your sell games, dvds and electrical goods. Places such as Cash Generator and Cash Converters. Also, gaming stores such as GAME. Plus individual selling sites, the most popular being eBay.

Check out all the latest deals at CeX here.
New Comment

83 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    OP your braver than me, I cannot stand more than a few seconds in a CEX shop, for some reason every CEX shop I have been to always stinks really badly of BO.
    dh058977;8841566

He was asking about instore not online.

But if the op didnt know you could sell online they now have the option to!
    You will need to take ID for a guess?
    a lot of stores say they have no cash and will try to give you exchange vouchers.
    you can check how much you will get by checking their website, and the different grades etc
    mattitude1987

Took in broken Iphone 4s. They offered me the price for a broken Iphone 4 … Took in broken Iphone 4s. They offered me the price for a broken Iphone 4 (£50 instead of the £100 declared on the website). Still months later, the website still offers the same price of £100 even though a member of staff told me there was no profit for them (charging problem).

Why the hell does "took" look like it is spelled wrong?
    Take the right forms of ID and your phone to the counter, they will tell you then and there how long it will take to check. Come back when they say and they will give you the money depending on the grade they give your phone.
    Because you started the sentence with it, so it is capitalised which looks odd.

The correct use would have been "I took ..".
    TUSSFC

Because you started the sentence with it, so it is capitalised which … Because you started the sentence with it, so it is capitalised which looks odd.The correct use would have been "I took ..".

Oh, yeah. Looks better with an "I" at the beginning. Thank you
    Sh0rty19 h, 12 m ago

took my phone to cex they failed it on a dodgy speaker (nothing wrong with …took my phone to cex they failed it on a dodgy speaker (nothing wrong with it)took it 3 other places who all tested it and said it was fine...

I can beat you on that, my daughter took her 3 year old well cared for Samsung galaxy Note phone into CEX liverpool city centre who examined it beforehand working with no screen scratches etc and said the condition looked B grade and to return an hour later after they tested it.
    An hour later she returned and they said it was no good to them as it 'now' had a thick black line of dead pixels on the screen.
    The nob heads must have dropped it or swapped over the screen with a faulty in store phone because it was perfect when she brought it in and they initially examined it working and it was only after another hour when she refused to leave with the now broken phone they admitted defeat and paid her the original agreed amount.
    Nice to see a 9 year old thread still going.
    deleted419719/03/2019 12:19

Nice to see a 9 year old thread still going.

Top discussion of the day!

37293895-f7rId.jpg

Peeps used to get banned for digging up old threads...
    Also mate be aware that if you are expecting anything decent for your phone then be prepared to be disappointed, their grading system leaves alot to be desired, I think that part of the CEX staff uniform is a mask! just dont want you to waste a 60mile round trip, have you considered other options ]Linky :thumbsup:
    scottydont;8841738

Also mate be aware that if you are expecting anything decent for your … Also mate be aware that if you are expecting anything decent for your phone then be prepared to be disappointed, their grading system leaves alot to be desired, I think that part of the CEX staff uniform is a mask! just dont want you to waste a 60mile round trip, have you considered other options ]Linky :thumbsup:

agreed - i took a phone in and they said it had dust under the screen, so they wouldn't buy it. So after I wiped it on my t-shirt and the dust from 'under the screen' magically disappeared they said the tester had gone home (even though he was testing another phone) and I would have to come back the next day. Needless to say, I didn't!
    DKLS

OP your braver than me, I cannot stand more than a few seconds in a CEX … OP your braver than me, I cannot stand more than a few seconds in a CEX shop, for some reason every CEX shop I have been to always stinks really badly of BO.

haha that is so true. X)
    CollateralDamage

haha that is so true. X)

or BO mixed with digestive biscuits and with a hint of poopy pants
    (edited)
    How do you sell to CEX?

With the knowledge that you’re getting royally ripped off.
    BillySollox19/03/2019 23:08

Top discussion of the day![Image] Peeps used to get banned for digging up …Top discussion of the day![Image] Peeps used to get banned for digging up old threads...

That tiny white mites one is the worst. It just seems to attract a load of weirdos.
    deleted53953030/03/2019 00:12

How do you sell to CEX?With the knowledge that you’re getting royally rippe …How do you sell to CEX?With the knowledge that you’re getting royally ripped off.

I only sell to CeX when making more or around the same profit as selling privately. I'm there all the time, same day cash payment and no fuss of dealing with time wasters. They pay very fairly usually.
    Step 1. Buy a Gas Mask!
    I'd never do online again, took around 2-3 weeks when I first used it. In store is much better. (edited)
    McShane08/01/2020 20:59

I'd never do online again, took around 2-3 weeks when I first used it. In s …I'd never do online again, took around 2-3 weeks when I first used it. In store is much better.

Cant believe people buy stuff in store games etc can be had for cheaper in new condition.
    kismith122/02/2020 21:49

They are all scammers, tell u one price on the internet and then offer you …They are all scammers, tell u one price on the internet and then offer you a lot lower price on brand new sealed goods after they have received themThe company are a lot of con artist and I would avoid like the plague, you will get your fingers burnt.YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

That’s why you do it in store
    chrismc2005023/02/2020 21:07

Sell it yourself. CEX make double what they give you. for example= Game …Sell it yourself. CEX make double what they give you. for example= Game market value second hand is £10- CEX will give you £5. sell it yourself to get the £10 they are ripping and profiteering of ordineray folk how has people not caught on to this before

It’s how the business works supply and demand sometimes they offer more than you would get on eBay and not all the time stuff sells on gumtree
    chrismc2005023/02/2020 21:07

Sell it yourself. CEX make double what they give you. for example= Game …Sell it yourself. CEX make double what they give you. for example= Game market value second hand is £10- CEX will give you £5. sell it yourself to get the £10 they are ripping and profiteering of ordineray folk how has people not caught on to this before

CeX make money but they are fair. They generally pay more than most other stores, especially Game. They also offer cash same/next day in store, no hassle or fuss dealing with buyers for products (especially if niche). You could often make more selling privately but this is not convenient. (edited)
    jasonsowden;8841555

Sell online - ]http://www.cex.co.uk/sell/

He was asking about instore not online.
    Author
    dh058977;8841545

Take the right forms of ID and your phone to the counter, they will tell … Take the right forms of ID and your phone to the counter, they will tell you then and there how long it will take to check. Come back when they say and they will give you the money depending on the grade they give your phone.

Thanks - is that a same day service or not - reason for asking is that y local stor is 30 mile away and i'll be making a special journey.
    jasonsowden;8841583

But if the op didnt know you could sell online they now have the option … But if the op didnt know you could sell online they now have the option to!

True but im guessing by the way the OP is worded he wants/needs the money straight away!
    ianshona;8841590

Thanks - is that a same day service or not - reason for asking is that y … Thanks - is that a same day service or not - reason for asking is that y local stor is 30 mile away and i'll be making a special journey.

Yeah they will sign you up and give you your CEX card (providing you have the right ID)
    Then they will take your phone and tell you how long its going to take to test (about an hour max if their busy in my experience). Come back after the hour (or whatever time) and they will give you the cash, or your phone if your not happy with the valuation.
    goonertillidie;8841640

a lot of stores say they have no cash and will try to give you exchange … a lot of stores say they have no cash and will try to give you exchange vouchers.

Yeah, they'l try it on! just argue with them lol
    demond100;8842662

you can check how much you will get by checking their website, and the … you can check how much you will get by checking their website, and the different grades etc

and if you believe the quotes then Santa and fairies must also be real in your merry little world :whistling:
    can you sell playstaion 3 games and old mobile phones to cex
    Even though they consistently knock a few quid off the trade in prices for supposed 'scratches' they still give better cash prices than most places.

The one issue I have with my local CEX is that they will have five or six staff behind the counter but maybe only one serving so you wait for twenty minutes to get to the front only to be told they have no cash.
    Ungreat

Even though they consistently knock a few quid off the trade in prices … Even though they consistently knock a few quid off the trade in prices for supposed 'scratches' they still give better cash prices than most places.The one issue I have with my local CEX is that they will have five or six staff behind the counter but maybe only one serving so you wait for twenty minutes to get to the front only to be told they have no cash.

Really? I've never in all my years as a member had them give me a reduced price due to scratches! The issue of arriving only to be told they're not doing cash that day is massively irritating though.
    Author
    hammyfc

can you sell playstaion 3 games and old mobile phones to cex

yes thats the main business for them!
    cookiemonster83

Really? I've never in all my years as a member had them give me a reduced … Really? I've never in all my years as a member had them give me a reduced price due to scratches! The issue of arriving only to be told they're not doing cash that day is massively irritating though.

A couple of times I've had the bloke at the counter knock a couple of quid off the trade in price of games based on 'scratches' even though I keep all my stuff immaculate. I even traded an Ipod that had been sitting in it's box for a year and apart from once being taken out of the box had never been used and even that didn't warrant an 'A' grade, if it hadn't of been my brothers and he really wanted the cash I would have walked.
    (edited)
    Hi I am looking to trade games in instore on cex ....What Do i Need to Make An Account Instore Please Help
    Holy thread revival! oO oO
    (edited)
    CraftXPenguin2

Hi I am looking to trade games in instore on cex ....What Do i Need to … Hi I am looking to trade games in instore on cex ....What Do i Need to Make An Account Instore Please Help

too lazy to read above? oO
's avatar