Posted 3 days ago

How often do you feed your cat wet food?

I just want to see if I have hungry hungry hippos instead of cats or if I might be overfeeding. I got 2 cats and I feed them 4 times a day. They initiate meal times by screaming at me and biting plastic, so that's how I know they need food. Once their fed they calm down and relax. So anywho, they get their first meal at 9am, then 2pm, then 7pm and finally last meal at midnight. Each meal I feed a 70g tin/pouch of wet food for each cat. Smaller cat eats about 2/3rds of the food and is full and larger cat eats all of theirs plus the other cats leftovers. So all in I go through 8 pouches/tins of wet food per day. I leave crunches for them only at the night while I'm sleeping cause my cats don't drink water. Water fountain, water bowl, bath, sink nothing works haha. So wet food that is high in fluid content is the hydration they get. I've heard people say they feed their cats 1-2 times per day. I find it hard to believe. Mine would tear furniture.
Community Updates
New Comment

24 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    good grief mine is positively starved on that basis! 1x 85g pouch per day split across 2 meals. Also about 40g dry biscuits spread throughout the day. And that is on vet's advice as he was getting a bit chunky. To be fair he doesn't go outside to burn it off tearing down the street or anything.

Since WFH he does let me know it's dinner time at 5pm precisely by coming and spreading himself across the desk so I can't do anything else.
    When i kept bengals i would feed them twice a day on home made raw food. A cat is an obligate carnivore so dry food is a big no. A cat with a healthy diet doesn't need to drink.
    Definitely needs to drink regardless
    Mine gets fed 9am and 6pm 100g each time plus some biscuits about 2pm if he is home.
    On a Wedn eve,he gets sardines,dog also, instead of wet food.
    Weekend no wet food as i do 1 day fish/rice/mixed veg,dog gets the same or mince/chicken and mixed veg/sweet potato.
    A few biscuits inbetween,1 day a week a few dreamies
    Twice a day with dry stuff down all the time too.
    mine just order ubereats when hes hungry
    twice with wet, and then dry for overnight
    My two cats have wet food every other day - 1 pouch each.

They do have dry food a couple times of day too, but I don't really monitor that.
    3 x 85g pouches per day with an extra half/full pouch if he's screaming for more. Dry food and water available 24/7. This is for a very old skinny cat that barely moves all day.
    OP - which branded pouches are you feeding?
    We've moved our cats to Katkin. The change in one of them has been incredible - lost weight, much more alert and playful. Pupils also a lot less dilated - a sign that she is more relaxed and happier. Both also leave the litter tray in a much cleaner state.

Only downside is that they only seem to like the duck.
    Quality of wet food is important, if it is just rubbish then be hungry more or addicted to sugar.
    We feed 1 pouch of applaws per day, rest is dry food.
    If ours don't drinkwater indoor, they do in garden out of pots after rain lol
    If I had to feed 8 pouches per day, that would be nearly £10 per day!
    Our 19 year old moggy has between 4 and 6 100g Felix Senior a day.
    He is predominantly an outdoor cat and not overweight.
    1 wet and a bowl of dry a day
    My male cat Is on a special diet, so he gets pre weighed dry food twice a day. His sister has one pouch a day, which she rarely finishes. If they get hungry, they eat the dog's food of he hasnt finished it
    If you are giving it pouches etc. if you read the label it says cats will need 3 or 4 pouches per day.

Sounds normal to me

Mine gets fussy and sometimes leaves what I give it and then pesters for fresh food later when it is hungry.

Although it will eat scraps, but in general it's a small female cat and goes through 3 pouches a day, but doesn't eat them all.
    Perhaps check they are up to date with worming?
    Once a day a mix of wet and dry. A lot of you are over feeding. 
    I feed my three a packet each when they wake me up (6AM), they get IAMS at lunchtime and a packet each in the evening so two packets each per day.

Four seems a lot to be honest.

Of course they will harass you to be fed, they know you will give in because you love 'em
    Mine will get punted outside, rain or shine if it’s meowing for more food. Go hunter gather your own. 
's avatar