Posted 7 November 2019

If you didn't already know, from 7th December WhatsApp will prohibit the sending of 'newsletters' using their service.

We've been considering for some time how we can still bring you this type of deal roundup and if you've updated the hotukdeals app today you'll see our introduction to Daily Picks! Before you can use it you'll need to switch it on from the hotukdeals app.

Daily Picks

So your new alerts will be accessible from right within the hotukdeals app and you won't need to use two apps to get these deals (and even better if you never wanted to download WhatsApp!)

Deals will be picked by Carla and Liam (who will give you a lovely introduction when you sign up to the service!) who also looked after our WhatsApp message service. You'll get messages twice a day just like before too (this might increase during periods like Black Friday).

Getting started:

First of all make sure your app is updated to the latest versions. iOS 5.22.0 and Android 5.22. Within the app you'll need to go to your inbox.

iOS:

3326388.jpg

Android:

3326388.jpg

Have a little read of what to expect and then you'll be taken to the Daily Picks.

To get alerted just make sure you've set your notifications to on (bell top right) and your device is set to allow these form the app too.

We'd love to hear your feedback so please comment away
Community Updates
New Comment

113 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
  1. Pinned
    Author
    Fancy winning some AirPods Pro?! Complete the entry requirements via our comp page linked below (download the app and subscribe to Daily Picks - if you already have done this just click the entry requirements to add your entries). We'll pick a lucky winner to win the AirPods Pro on Monday 25th November.

Enter >> HERE <<

39049132-Vd3MS.jpg (edited)
    As I've said before,

This daily picks thing, I don't like the location of it. I'd prefer daily picks being where PMs are in the app (and PMs in the middle).

Or even better. Stick notifications in the middle. Swipe left for picks and right for PMs.

Having daily picks in the position it's in makes it a hassle to get to PMs. Have to swipe left twice now. If notifications were put in the middle it would make it 1 swipe each way, much easier. This is in regards to the Android app anyway.

WhatsApp never allowed these 'newsletter' style services which always breached terms of service. They have just announced they will be taking legal action for those using it in this way from December 7th. (edited)
    What's app is far more convenient and takes up less space (edited)
    Any chance of using telegram? I don't want the hukd app.
    I'm not downloading another pointless app.
    If it's not on the web, I'm not using it
    The amount of times you guys have saved me from unwanted conversation when I could blame your messages as being something really important! RIP WhatsApp!
    I dont want to install another app on my phone so looks like I'll be losing out on these deal notifications. Such a shame, because there's got to be so many other ways to do it. Discord and Telegram spring to mind (discord having the advantage that you can create different categories and channels)
    deleted189695108/11/2019 14:17

I dont want to install another app on my phone so looks like I'll be losing …I dont want to install another app on my phone so looks like I'll be losing out on these deal notifications. Such a shame, because there's got to be so many other ways to do it. Discord and Telegram spring to mind (discord having the advantage that you can create different categories and channels)

Nobody uses Telegram in the UK (HUKD used to have one but stopped it) and Discord is only really used by those into tech or gamers. Better to have app picks.
    jamie1507/11/2019 17:27

As I've said before,This daily picks thing, I don't like the location of …As I've said before,This daily picks thing, I don't like the location of it. I'd prefer daily picks being where PMs are in the app (and PMs in the middle).Or even better. Stick notifications in the middle. Swipe left for picks and right for PMs.Having daily picks in the position it's in makes it a hassle to get to PMs. Have to swipe left twice now. If notifications were put in the middle it would make it 1 swipe each way, much easier. This is in regards to the Android app anyway.WhatsApp never allowed these 'newsletter' style services which always breached terms of service. They have just announced they will be taking legal action for those using it in this way from December 7th.

I never noticed you can swipe it! I've always tapped on the tab...
    Author
    thfc188208/11/2019 10:30

So, no more WhatsApp? That's a shame

Yep We could not continue to use it the way we were so we had to come up with an alternative.
    This is HUKD after reading my feedback:

38949964-IMxqT.jpg

Nobody seems to be reading feedback in the feedback section, and HUKD seem to want to ignore mine
    Jason08/11/2019 10:19

Great! So click your Inbox icon and from here you should see Daily Picks …Great! So click your Inbox icon and from here you should see Daily Picks and you can then sign up from here. Give me a shout if any problems or feedback

All sorted, cheers....
    So, no more WhatsApp? That's a shame
    Great song ta FP
    Don't use the HUKD app or 'what's app' so fail to see how I am 'missing out' on nowt ?

I can see how that might irritate deeky (edited)
    RealBargainHunter13/11/2019 22:25

Friggin Facebook! Disappointed! I enjoy receiving the ‘newsletters’ o … Friggin Facebook! Disappointed! I enjoy receiving the ‘newsletters’ on WhatsApp. To be honest if it wasn’t for the HUKD deals I wouldn’t use WhatsApp much at all. Can’t the HUKD WhatsApp community somehow petition/appeal it? It’s for the end users benefit so why are they now enforcing a general ban?

Actually Facebook told us that there is still the possiblity to run it, just they would crank up the pricing like crazy. Cranking up you ask? Yes, they would like to increase roughly 100x and would be asking for over 1m pounds for us doing what we are doing right now. Sounds fair? I forgot to mention, thats monthly of course
    Good knows how to subscribe
    So Daily Picks won't affect the usual push notifications? I have tended to ignore the WhatsApp notifications lately as they are too frequent, and contain too much content.

That's just me, but others will appreciate the efforts.
    Thank you, I couldn't work out how to do this yesterday but I hadn't updated the app so that was why, all sorted now 😃
    I deleted the hotukdeals app years ago because I didn't like it. Just tried it again and going to uninstall once more.

Much prefer using the mobile site.
    Jason15/11/2019 16:45

Yep - should work fine. Click the Daily Picks section from the inbox and …Yep - should work fine. Click the Daily Picks section from the inbox and then select the bell/notification icons to get them started. What else would you like to see for you to change your mind?Was there something in particular or was it just a case of preferring the mobile site?

Thanks magicjay1986 - Agree with RobMotoring’s comment - it’s just a long message. If it’s now not constrained to WhatsApp then you could spruce it up a bit, make it a bit more interesting - to actually catch attention. Though feels like its verging on the same as Highlights. Have one or the other in my view - or change one so it offers something unique (edited)
    These come through far too often. Once a day is fine, and made a lot tidier. There’s such a Wall of text that if you miss a few because..life, nobody’s scrolling back through loads of text, just the most recent gets read. Once a day at like 7pm, perfect. I find better, more concise deals dedicating a minute to scrolling the main deals page.
    I have now
    Author
    pacman3208/11/2019 10:16

I have now

Great! So click your Inbox icon and from here you should see Daily Picks and you can then sign up from here.

Give me a shout if any problems or feedback
    Dissatisfied_dad08/11/2019 10:45

What's is far more convenient and takes up less space

Squirrel poo?

38933048-vOvol.jpg
    (PS. Site Moderators: This comment should not be removed; it is on Topic!)
    sijones85509/11/2019 10:16

Your screenshot instructions don't look anything like the updated Android …Your screenshot instructions don't look anything like the updated Android app on my phone. Got no idea how to set this up. Think you need to explain this transition a lot better or you're going to lose a lot of users.

Press the notifications bell and then press daily picks. The app layout hasn't changed at all, with the exception of the weekly picks button being added.

If your phone screen is very small, the notification bell may not be there. In which case, press the three dots overflow menu in the top right corner and then press notifications.
    jamie1509/11/2019 13:33

Are you updated to the latest app version? It will only appear there.

Yep, updated specially, but probably not going to spend any more time on it.
    Author
    shadowdogg11/11/2019 18:34

I presume this is a cost cutting exercise as WhatsApp business costs money?

Bit of reading about it HERE but in particular:

In addition, beginning on December 7, 2019, WhatsApp will take legal action against those we determine are engaged in or assisting others in abuse that violates our Terms of Service, such as automated or bulk messaging, or non-personal use, even if that determination is based on information solely available to us off our platform. For example, off-platform information includes public claims from companies about their ability to use WhatsApp in ways that violate our Terms. This serves as notice that we will take legal action against companies for which we only have off-platform evidence of abuse if that abuse continues beyond December 7, 2019, or if those companies are linked to on-platform evidence of abuse before that date.
    Author

As I've said before,This daily picks thing, I don't like the location of it …As I've said before,This daily picks thing, I don't like the location of it. I'd prefer daily picks being where PMs are in the app (and PMs in the middle).Or even better. Stick notifications in the middle. Swipe left for picks and right for PMs.Having daily picks in the position it's in makes it a hassle to get to PMs. Have to swipe left twice now. If notifications were put in the middle it would make it 1 swipe each way, much easier. This is in regards to the Android app anyway.WhatsApp never allowed these 'newsletter' style services which always breached terms of service. They have just announced they will be taking legal action for those using it in this way from December 7th.

Thanks for this feedback here I'll share it with the guys working on this project.
    Jason13/11/2019 16:43

Bit of reading about it HERE but in particular:In addition, beginning on …Bit of reading about it HERE but in particular:In addition, beginning on December 7, 2019, WhatsApp will take legal action against those we determine are engaged in or assisting others in abuse that violates our Terms of Service, such as automated or bulk messaging, or non-personal use, even if that determination is based on information solely available to us off our platform. For example, off-platform information includes public claims from companies about their ability to use WhatsApp in ways that violate our Terms. This serves as notice that we will take legal action against companies for which we only have off-platform evidence of abuse if that abuse continues beyond December 7, 2019, or if those companies are linked to on-platform evidence of abuse before that date.

Decent argument, ok makes sense
    Friggin Facebook!
    Disappointed! I enjoy receiving the ‘newsletters’ on WhatsApp.
    To be honest if it wasn’t for the HUKD deals I wouldn’t use WhatsApp much at all.
    Can’t the HUKD WhatsApp community somehow petition/appeal it?
    It’s for the end users benefit so why are they now enforcing a general ban?
    Just my feedback, not keen on the design/layout of the daily picks. Hence, will not be subscribing to it
    Jason15/11/2019 16:45

Yep - should work fine. Click the Daily Picks section from the inbox and …Yep - should work fine. Click the Daily Picks section from the inbox and then select the bell/notification icons to get them started. What else would you like to see for you to change your mind?Was there something in particular or was it just a case of preferring the mobile site?

Seems to be working now of it's own accord, thanks
    Author
    islandofshame8615/11/2019 16:47

Seems to be working now of it's own accord, thanks

Great! We'd love to hear feedback for the service if you have any
    Telegram?
    Author
    RealDonaldTrump15/11/2019 17:12

Telegram?

We did try this in the UK and I don't think the uptake was amazing hence us not continuing with it. It is much much more popular in other territories.
    Jason15/11/2019 17:14

We did try this in the UK and I don't think the uptake was amazing hence …We did try this in the UK and I don't think the uptake was amazing hence us not continuing with it. It is much much more popular in other territories.

True, not many users within the UK
    Not a fan in the iOS app. It’s just one long message with links in, titles not exactly explanatory. After a few days it’s a really long list to scroll through. Also for me, too many notifications when it’s a few times a day.
    Wish it would start where the date is. It’s annoying to have to scroll up to the top of the message each time.

As I've said before,This daily picks thing, I don't like the location of …As I've said before,This daily picks thing, I don't like the location of it. I'd prefer daily picks being where PMs are in the app (and PMs in the middle).Or even better. Stick notifications in the middle. Swipe left for picks and right for PMs.Having daily picks in the position it's in makes it a hassle to get to PMs. Have to swipe left twice now. If notifications were put in the middle it would make it 1 swipe each way, much easier. This is in regards to the Android app anyway.WhatsApp never allowed these 'newsletter' style services which always breached terms of service. They have just announced they will be taking legal action for those using it in this way from December 7th.

Jamie where the heck is this daily feed? Please help me locate it
    TiredParent16/11/2019 18:52

Jamie where the heck is this daily feed? Please help me locate it

Ok found it. Not the best place tbh
's avatar