Posted 6 November 2020

Is the Samsung TU7020 good for next gen consoles

3581408.jpgFew weeks ago I bought this tv only upgraded because of the ps5 I wanted to know if this would be good enough haven’t seen reviews on other sites seems a good tv so far haven’t mounted it yet thoughargos.co.uk/pro…036
Community Updates
New Comment

13 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Just wait till you get your PS5 and try it, if your happy with it don't worry about it
    This will be fine for the PS5. I have a very similar model from last year (UE43RU7100). It is a budget model but will be fine for gaming as it has a 4K screen and built in game mode.
    Goonermad06/11/2020 13:21

Just wanted to make sure the picture was good enough on this set and that …Just wanted to make sure the picture was good enough on this set and that it wouldn’t jitter or anything crazy I’m not looking to spend £1000 would the tu8000 be better or similar

Yeah, all the fuss is about taking advantage of the latest little tweaks for extra detail and stuff. Any HDTV from the last fifteen years will be fine. I did have a quick look and I couldn't even see a set of minimum requirements for the PS5, suggesting there are very few TVs it won't work with.

Goonermad06/11/2020 13:57

Compared to this one which one is better out of this and this …Compared to this one which one is better out of this and this https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue43tu8000-2020-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-43-inch-with-tvplus-black/p4929572?sku=238632651&s_ppc=2dx92700055554108314&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhZT9BRDmARIsAN2E-J33flYuQ2yb-9e3GIA-aNzg9-ieM-e3VbkY7-ViILQrr_hH6tm-1EAaAkV_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The TU8000 is the next model up from the TU7000 in the same range. I haven't looked at those particular models but going by previous years it's likely it'll be a very similar TV with a feature or two added, perhaps a wide gamut backlight.

So yes it'll be better, the question will be whether the difference is significant enough. If you already own the TU7000 I certainly wouldn't sell it just to buy a TU8000.
    Define "good enough" ?

It supports 4K/UHD and it has a low (for TVs) response time so that's something positive. On the other hand it's a 60hz panel, doesn't support VRR, and it's edge lit so no local dimming.

That said if you don't care about any of that then sure, it will be fine. But only you can decide that.
    Author
    .Griff.06/11/2020 12:38

Define "good enough" ?It supports 4K/UHD and it has a low (for TVs) …Define "good enough" ?It supports 4K/UHD and it has a low (for TVs) response time so that's something positive. On the other hand it's a 60hz panel, doesn't support VRR, and it's edge lit so no local dimming.That said if you don't care about any of that then sure, it will be fine. But only you can decide that.

Does that make huge difference
    Goonermad06/11/2020 12:52

Does that make huge difference

For some people yes, for others no. It's down to personal preference.

The new generation of consoles support up to 120 FPS and variable refresh rate neither of which your TV can take advantage of but I've no idea if that concerns you or not.

Edge lit TVs 'can' have uniformity issues and won't handle dark scenes as well as backlit, especially FALD/OLED, TV but again I've no idea if that concerns you or not.

If you just want to connect a console, and press play then you'll be fine mate. But as you didn't clarify what "good enough" means I'm trying to give you some added input.
    If you have the budget then you should try and avoid any TV that is HDR10+ (edit: HDR+)
    Obviously a true HDR TV is going to cost over £1000 so this isn't easy. (edited)
    Author
    That’s wha
    .Griff.06/11/2020 13:02

For some people yes, for others no. It's down to personal preference.The …For some people yes, for others no. It's down to personal preference.The new generation of consoles support up to 120 FPS and variable refresh rate neither of which your TV can take advantage of but I've no idea if that concerns you or not.Edge lit TVs 'can' have uniformity issues and won't handle dark scenes as well as backlit, especially FALD/OLED, TV but again I've no idea if that concerns you or not.If you just want to connect a console, and press play then you'll be fine mate. But as you didn't clarify what "good enough" means I'm trying to give you some added input.

That’s what I was thinking want to get best out the tv the tu8000 went cheaper after I bought this one would you say tu8000 is better
    EmeraldGreen06/11/2020 13:09

If you have the budget then you should try and avoid any TV that is …If you have the budget then you should try and avoid any TV that is HDR10+Obviously a true HDR TV is going to cost over £1000 so this isn't easy.

HDR10+ is a format for storing HDR data and doesn't affect the TV's HDR performance. You may be mixing it up with HDR+, an 'HDR effect' picture mode that's sometimes the modern incarnation of vivid mode.

The TU7000 is a generic entry level TV. It's not an upgrade in terms of cutting edge gaming technologies like variable refresh rate or HDR but if your previous TV was an equally budget model it may be an improvement in general quality, and I'm guessing it's a bigger size too.

The PS5 will happily work well on any HD TV, you don't need anything special to enjoy it.
    EndlessWaves06/11/2020 13:15

HDR10+ is a format for storing HDR data and doesn't affect the TV's HDR …HDR10+ is a format for storing HDR data and doesn't affect the TV's HDR performance. You may be mixing it up with HDR+, an 'HDR effect' picture mode that's sometimes the modern incarnation of vivid mode. The TU7000 is a generic entry level TV. It's not an upgrade in terms of cutting edge gaming technologies like variable refresh rate or HDR but if your previous TV was an equally budget model it may be an improvement in general quality, and I'm guessing it's a bigger size too. The PS5 will happily work well on any HD TV, you don't need anything special to enjoy it.

Yes correct I was meaning a true 10 bit pannel and not (8+2) My bad for the wording!
    Author
    EndlessWaves06/11/2020 13:15

HDR10+ is a format for storing HDR data and doesn't affect the TV's HDR …HDR10+ is a format for storing HDR data and doesn't affect the TV's HDR performance. You may be mixing it up with HDR+, an 'HDR effect' picture mode that's sometimes the modern incarnation of vivid mode. The TU7000 is a generic entry level TV. It's not an upgrade in terms of cutting edge gaming technologies like variable refresh rate or HDR but if your previous TV was an equally budget model it may be an improvement in general quality, and I'm guessing it's a bigger size too. The PS5 will happily work well on any HD TV, you don't need anything special to enjoy it.

Just wanted to make sure the picture was good enough on this set and that it wouldn’t jitter or anything crazy I’m not looking to spend £1000 would the tu8000 be better or similar
    EmeraldGreen06/11/2020 13:19

Yes correct I was meaning a true 10 bit pannel and not (8+2) My bad for …Yes correct I was meaning a true 10 bit pannel and not (8+2) My bad for the wording!

A 10-bit LCD panel is not a major factor.

10-bit colour depth in content specifies both the brightness of a pixel and it's colour.

In HDR the actual new, richer colours are created by the colour filters and backlight phosphors/QDEF, and the extra brightness range is created by the local dimming system.

So if you took a perfect HDR LCD display and put in an 8-bit panel you wouldn't lose any of the richness or contrast.

The only effect you'd see would be larger steps between colours, which would manifest as colour banding on gradients rather than a smooth transition between colours.

As this is an obvious picture flaw it'd be surprising if any manufacturer shipped a TV that didn't have sufficient bit depth to handle it's capabilities.

So while 10-bit LCD panels may be neccessary in very capable HDR TVs, they don't themselves determine HDR performance and the presence of one is not a guarantee of good HDR. You're better off looking at the more influential bits of hardware if you want to go down that route. Although I'd personally try and stick to actual results like real scene contrast and colour space.
    Author
    EndlessWaves06/11/2020 13:45

A 10-bit LCD panel is not a major factor. 10-bit colour depth in content …A 10-bit LCD panel is not a major factor. 10-bit colour depth in content specifies both the brightness of a pixel and it's colour. In HDR the actual new, richer colours are created by the colour filters and backlight phosphors/QDEF, and the extra brightness range is created by the local dimming system.So if you took a perfect HDR LCD display and put in an 8-bit panel you wouldn't lose any of the richness or contrast.The only effect you'd see would be larger steps between colours, which would manifest as colour banding on gradients rather than a smooth transition between colours.As this is an obvious picture flaw it'd be surprising if any manufacturer shipped a TV that didn't have sufficient bit depth to handle it's capabilities. So while 10-bit LCD panels may be neccessary in very capable HDR TVs, they don't themselves determine HDR performance and the presence of one is not a guarantee of good HDR. You're better off looking at the more influential bits of hardware if you want to go down that route. Although I'd personally try and stick to actual results like real scene contrast and colour space.

Compared to this one which one is better out of this and this johnlewis.com/sam….ds
's avatar