Posted 6 days ago

Job Search

I am sure many have been in a similar situation in finding a Job, but wow it's hard.

Sadly, my circumstances are not helping me because I had to be carer for 6 years and my age (43 Years old) is having a negative effect 4 times in interviews it as been a problem hopefully it's just a bad batch.

First interview they said they need to know my age for Job Purpose (I clearly look over 18)

Second time Semi Interview they asked “why do you want to get a Job at your age?

Third time, we prefer to hire young people because there cheaper and they quit and normally come back.

Fourth time Elimination group interview last one out of all young people, I did everything right in the interview.

So am feeling really down about this, I even cancelled an interview because it would have been another group elimination interview.

Plus, to make things harder some jobs have 100s and 100s of people applying, one job had 800 people applying in the Leeds area.

To have any chance of a Job I have calculated I need to apply for at least 9 Jobs per day.

I know I must not give up.

My experience is in Hospitality and Retail.

Any advice and tips welcome.
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

50 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Well, two of those reasons are unlawful.

Do you have it in writing? If I was in a particular mood I would be asking for a copy of all the information they had on me which would include the interview & assessment notes.

It might give them a shock so they don't behave the same way in the future.

I remember one company on my local facebook page getting hammered by thousands of people when it came out they would only hire kids still in school because they could pay them less. Now that was funny reading despite the seriuosness of their behaviour. They had to cease trading shortly after. (edited)
    Author
    I don't have anything in writing because they were just comments,plus they are going to deny it. I should not lose heart as it maybe just a bad batch of unfortunate comments I hope.
    My advice would be to try and enjoy your life as much as you can whether you are working or not. None of us know what is around the corner so try and make the most of every moment.
    I watched a film last night & one of the quotes I will make from it is:

"Money doesn't make you happy"

"but it is better to cry in a (your own) car than the subway"
    Issue with retail and hospitality are hours needed.
    Have you looked at admin jobs in an office where you can transfer your skills?
    Also, it is illegal to discriminate against age so you shouldn't even be asked that question during the interview.
    I thought hospitality was crying out for staff according to news?
    Ddefinitely go through the agency and see what options are open to you.
    Author
    I have applied for about 60 Jobs in the catering sector. 1 position available = 300 people applying. News are not looking at it right.

My CV as been checked 3 times from a career advisor and the job centre and it's all good.

When did they say it in the news? (edited)
    I don't have any advice to offer but I wish you the best and hope you find something soon.
    Consider retraining? There is lots of funding around for stuff like teachers and nurses at the moment. It might mean a few years of studying (whilst funded), but it’s a job for life and age doesn’t matter (edited)
    100% this!!!

Retail is dying, with hospitality they usually get youngsters in for cheap labour. Also with both fields you're gonna have to be flexible with hours which may be hard due to your circumstances, it's usually why they pick young people who have no responsibilities.

Good luck with your search either way
    Do you have a profile on LinkedIn?
    If not get one setup and get some connections in place.

Great place to look for jobs and heavily used by recruiters .

Easy to apply for jobs from LinkedIn as well.

Chin up and keep on applying, something will come along. Your obviously trying hard to find a position and it will pay off in time (edited)
    Author
    Yes signed up on there.
    Look at updating your qualifications with accredited ones which can open doors in a new sector.
    Hi
    There is hope out there, my brother recently left retail after 30 odd years
    I would say he had no marketable skills being polite
    In the last year
    Sky TV - Too much screen time coming from retail
    He's had worked as a Iceland delivery driver ( didn't enjoy, it)
    A business to business returns collector/driver ( to much headache, driving round city centre)
    Lidl shelf stacker- unfortunately floor manager was rude (and took the Michael - left)
    Sainsbury's online picker - works 5hrs a morning and gets his steps in
    He started out looking for something and tried a fair few jobs also that fitted the pattern of hrs he likes and the job is ok
    Author
    Am going for a interview on Monday at a chained pub ,they had 5 positions in bar and restaurant so I applied for them all.😄

Will keep all you posted on the outcome. (edited)
    We await the good news...
    Firstly I hope you are successful soon. Secondly, every one of those interviewers are breaking the law as illegal to discriminate against age. I see that you didn't get their comments in writing, but you should still complain as they will maybe reconsider what they say in future
    If you are not successful in those fields try something different (not sure if you drive) like food delivery jobs like work with ubereat, justeat or some local food delivery companies. They are fully flexible but you have to give time to earn good money. Another option I would say is Amazon parcel delivery, their pay is good too.
    Anyway good luck...
    find out if there has been any partnerships with your local job centre, currently my local job centre offers fully funded SIA security training via Portland Training. Its an 11 day course.
    i suggest looking for 3 job agencies that deal with the type of work you are interested in or can do. contact one at a time, have a cv prepared to send them, if interested they may invite you for an interview and put you on the books. if they don't get back in touch within a week or so, go to another agency and do the same thing. and repeat that till you are on the books of 3 to 5 different agencies and let them try and find work for you

43 isn't old. generally speaking, older people have more experience and that can be of interest to employers

if you've been doing caring for 6 years, you have 6 years experience of caring, so the transferable skils and experience may be of use. if you go to an agency they may be able to advise if you would be suitable for that type of work or if you need some kind of training or qualification (ie. health and safety, first aid) or if there are employers prepared to take you on and go through the necessary training etc for you to do that work. you are likely to need background checks, again the employer would normally do that
    Author
    This is certainly a step I am going to take. Thank you for the advice.
    Author
    I have a other two interviews,first one is in retail and has perfect hours for me and local. I hope I get the job . My interview is 1pm Saturday and the next one is 2:45. I hope I get offered the job on my first interview.
    Author
    Just an Update folks ,the 1pm interview got changed to Tuesday at 11:00am.

But the 2:45 pm interview went really well (zero discrimination this time maybe that helped as she was a similar age to myself ) I applied for part time supervisor position.

Tomorrow I will find out ,I am really hoping on this one was because it looks like a great place to work.

Hopefully there is a result. (edited)
    I had a similar problem years ago and signed up with agencies and then got a full time job from doing that. There are loads of vacancies in the care sector if you want to try that but you will need a DBS Certificate which can take a while to get. Good luck I am sure you will find something soon.
    Author
    The Carer part was not a choice it something I had to do ,which I don't regret because I love the person. But I really want to a least get back in to some sort of hospitality. But it looks like even as simple as working at mcdonalds as proven difficult.

In my opening comments I forgot to mention that I was an Assistant manager in a Pub plus A manager in the retail sector sadly I can't commit to every hour.

Thank you. (edited)
    Author
    I have applied for 9 jobs today , thankfully I have a car so I can travel to a reasonable distance.

Thank you so much for everyone's kind words and Advice. Will update you all when I get a job . (edited)
    I know it's not "right" but have you considered starting a new "career" the jobs you are applying for are lower paid jobs ....but if you went into something like warehouse work , forklift driving you may have better luck, my reasoning is that the jobs you are looking at now are generally a young persons job and yet warehouse jobs are plentyful and usually come with training.
    Author
    Thank you not much warehouse work near me ,I have done warehouse work before but I would be happy just to work at ASDA cafe.
    In retail you usually get dragged through the door if you have experience and are willing to work weekends / daft hours etc.

Have you considered support work for people with learning difficulties, they usually don't require experience and are care work jobs are always advertised where I live.
    Don’t know what work your going for but does not seem like a semi professional or professional career. Honestly sounds like the mangers interviewing are daft to daft to start with .
    I work in chemical manufacturing industry and I’m 40 and never experienced any of this when applying jobs or interviews in my sector. If a manger interviewed me and said what they said to you I would stand up and walk off before he finished his sentence .

I think it’s more the work your going for rather than you if that makes sense (edited)
    Author
    The career advisor filled my skills and transferable experiences on top of my CV.
    I am applying for McDonald's to Toby Carvery and loads more hospitality places and retail which had 0 success in that.
    I can't really offer any further suggestions but I do want to wish you all the best. You're not alone in this, your 'have to apply for 9 jobs a day' comment is pretty much what I'm doing right now. It is just the job market at the moment, and you shouldn't feel like it reflects on your ability or experience.

Keep at it, you'll find something in the end.
    Author
    Thanks for the boost in confidence, it makes you feel low some days ,I tell my self today maybe the day I get a job.
's avatar